Michael Schumacher seriously injured

Soldato
What an utterly pointless article, only published because it's an anniversary and they probably thought they ought to do something for clicks.

For what's meant to be a personal piece that manages to come across especially impersonal, vague and almost without foundation... its tabloid sensationalism without the sensationalism; you get the opinion any of us could have rustled it up ourselves.

I can't recall whether or not he was in there, but it's got an air of Craig reporting on the news broadcasts at the time, not reporting from France.

Associate
Really good video by Will Buxton earlier this year explaining why Michael became such a figurehead in Germany:

I zoned out, the presenter went on a tangent on Brexit? All I see was Michael followed Senna as a role model and blessed with natural ability and discipline. Super fit, adopted Senna aggression and blessed with an ability to be a champion - the crowd followed. Germany never had a WDC?

Germans as the same with Brazilian fans, if Massa had won the WDC, would he ever be held in the same regard or invoke the same passion as Senna? Rosberg and Vettel, I doubt will ever receive the same adulation as Michael.

Michael is the elite few and achieved legendary status; to be revered for years to come - only a few drivers have achieved - For example, Villeneuve, Fangio & Clark etc...

Soldato
I zoned out, the presenter went on a tangent on Brexit? All I see was Michael followed Senna as a role model and blessed with natural ability and discipline. Super fit, adopted Senna aggression and blessed with an ability to be a champion - the crowd followed. Germany never had a WDC?

Germans as the same with Brazilian fans, if Massa had won the WDC, would he ever be held in the same regard or invoke the same passion as Senna? Rosberg and Vettel, I doubt will ever receive the same adulation as Michael.

Michael is the elite few and achieved legendary status; to be revered for years to come - only a few drivers have achieved - For example, Villeneuve, Fangio & Clark etc...
and hamilton.

imo He is legendary status now!

Man of Honour

Will was highlighting how Michael's success came at a time when the German population felt they couldn't support the German flag, but could support an individual sporting hero and the team he raced for.

It's less about his legacy in F1, rather his impact in unifying a country.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Over a week late but didn't see it mentioned.. Michael turned 50 years old last week. It's crazy to believe how long ago it was since the accident.

:(

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Let's hope it does the job, although anything has to be better than nothing.

Caporegime
It does. And whilst I hope it works, I also hope they're not letting a man who is in pain (physical or mental) and has no hope of ever having any semblance of proper mental function linger on.

If he's not there, then they are flogging a body but not really a problem. The real issue is if he has some level of mental function but is stuck in his body. I keep meaning to and really should, draw up a will and medical papers that put a straight time limit on any kind of life support functions that I am to receive.

The whole medical thing is a joke at this point. Even on the organ donation front, if I sign up to donate my organs why in the **** can my family dictate their own beliefs ahead of my own in the event that I die/am brain dead and they decide they don't want my organs donated. They are moving towards reversing the whole thing from signing up for organ donation to having to opt out from it, but I believe the plan is that family an still say no.

Why do family have more rights to my body after death than I do? My family probably won't be a problem and would donate them but it shouldn't be their choice.

Same way I should be able to decide what measures I'm put through and in what state I want to live. Everyone should be able to say what they want and have medical personnel follow those requests. For me if I'm brain dead, give it a 5-7 days for a miracle, for several repeat tests and make sure I'm actually brain dead in which case keep me alive for maybe up to a week to try to arrange for as many donations as possible. IE if they turn me off the next day and only a kidney recipient is available but wait a week and my heart, kidneys, liver and my left toe can all be donated I'm fine with that.

If I'm locked in, give it a couple months max to go through various treatments, a list of tv and other crap to have on to at least keep my brain from going nuts then turn it off if there is no further hope.

This goes for even more situations, like serious dementia where I'm not me, I'm a pain to deal with and I can't remember one day to the next, what's the point. I'd prefer to be dead than crapping myself for 20 years in a home where I make nurses lives miserable, as well as family, and my own. The idea that we can't control these things or dictate in what situations we want life extended or not is madness.

I can only hope that either he's far more with it that we know but just can't bear to be seen in public, or that he's not there at all. At least with dementia you don't remember how bad it is.

Man of Honour
If I'm locked in, give it a couple months max to go through various treatments, a list of tv and other crap to have on to at least keep my brain from going nuts then turn it off if there is no further hope.

Depends a lot on the situation though - as I've mentioned I know someone who for many years was probably in a very similar situation to Schumacher but made an almost full recovery - still gets a bit confused about places but otherwise is largely back to how they were. Not to say that is the likely outcome here or for anyone else but it does happen.

I forget the exact timeline now but they had a motorcycle accident in early 90s - was in a coma and so on for years but 2015 was recovered enough to get back on a motorcycle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom