1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Schumacher seriously injured

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by knip, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Rroff

Man of Honour

On the flipside though the brain if not too badly damaged has an incredibly powerful ability to work around damage but it takes time, lots of time and doesn't guarantee a full recovery.

2. this_is_gav

Soldato

If you think of the brain as an organ (which it is) then it's the best in the body at self-healing. Damage most other organs that badly and it's likely you'll need a transplant at best.

But I get what you mean. He broke his leg in 1999 yet was back racing in 98 days. Take what initially sounded like an innocuous knock to the head and it nearly claimed his life there and then, and ultimately it's highly likely that it sadly will.

3. Rroff

Man of Honour

^^ I imagine it will be a very long slow progress towards whichever eventuality - I'd imagine that if he was going to take a sudden significant turn for the worst it would have happened before now.

4. this_is_gav

Soldato

I guess we thought the same with de Villota and Bianchi though, albeit both in much shorter time frames and seemingly for very different reasons.

Obviously brain's are fickle things, and who knows whether he's more susceptible to infections or other health issues.

Alternatively, and hoping against hope for a more positive possibility, all we know at the moment is that he can't walk. That could mean he could be sat in a wheelchair reading this for all we know, though you can't help but think that his family would have said something if there was any actual good news.

5. Syla5

Soldato

This seems hopeful.

I know its not from the family, it doesn't state anything specific, but it is from a source that has always come across as genuine and so we can all but hope its true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37861373

6. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

What's that got to do with Schumacher?

7. tom_e

Man of Honour

Head to the bottom of the page, there's a section on him down there.

8. Rroff

Man of Honour

9. RoboCod

Capodecina

If he is all slurred and cabbage-like (I say that with no intention to sound disrespectful) I really don't want to see that. He's one of my all time heroes and I just don't need to see him in such a state. His families wishes of privacy should always be upheld regardless. Even if it means we won't know how he is doing, which is frustrating, at least their requests are respected.

10. Mark365

Gangster

Tell you what, I am taking positivity from Ross's words on Michael. #KeepFightingMichael

11. Merlin5

Capodecina

12. Rroff

Man of Honour

^^ Looks like tabloids quoting her words out of context possibly.

13. Merlin5

Capodecina

14. Rroff

Man of Honour

I think its irresponsible and wrong of the press - she was pressed on why they are keeping it private and her words don't necessarily imply any change in fact the "made it very clear" bit tends to suggest otherwise.

15. Merlin5

Capodecina

Yeah, I agree and hope you're right and that there's no deterioration. However, although his privacy has to be respected, I don't fully understand why she can't be more open about his condition. Whether he's stable, improving or getting worse, why won't she say?

16. V F

Capodecina

17. EVH

Don

There’s absolutely no reason she can’t tell the media how he is. I think she’s contributing to her own misery somewhat.

For instance, it would stop the media hounding her if she just released a statement saying (as an example) “he’s able to talk but his mobility is very limited and doctors are predicting a very low chance of a full recovery kthnxbye”

I truly hope he gets well enough that we will see him talking to a camera at a GP weekend. A bit like you see Murray show up from time to time, to give a sound bite or do a short piece to camera. Obviously he’s almost certainly going to drive again but seeing him well enough to be in the paddock again, amongst the guys and on the pit wall would be a massive win... and I say that as someone who wished mechanical misery on his cars in the 90s :D

18. Merlin5

Capodecina

That's very optimistic, but more likely you accidentally omitted the 'not' ;)

19. Lakeland

Soldato

I suspect the ‘something serious has happened’ is the skiing incident not something new.

Probably reporters taking a chance to misquote in the hope they will get a counter statement saying what the actual situation is. It’s quite clear they’re giving absolutely nothing away so I can’t see how his wife would have let that comment slip.

The whole thing is probably about keeping his legacy alive until his son reaches F1.

20. Malt_Vinegar

Underboss

Total sensationalism. The comment clearly refers to the original injury/subsequent decline.
    Media misinterpreted this deliberately to print misleading headlines.