Micro plastic in water

Soldato
IT ISN'T A DOWIE HOLE, IT IS A DEEP SEMANTIC LINGUISTIC...

That the same as a Cunning Linguist? :confused:

She-said.gif

Cant believe I got to use this twice in 2 mins :cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime
@Richie thank for using the dowie arbitration service.

Yes but in a plastic bottle it'll be orders of magnitude higher.

Why? Do you think the plastic bottle creates micro-plastics? :cry: :cry:

It's quite apparent that andy is right and dlockers is wrong and is being rather silly about it as usual.

See plastic water bottles are made out of... erm... plastic.

And yes that does, in fact, create microplastics, in particular when the cap is turned:

That’s the conclusion of a peer-reviewed study published in the Journal of Water and Health, which found the repeated motion of screwing a cap on and off the bottle creates friction that generates a significant amount of microplastics, which then end up in the water you drink. Each twist can produce about 500 microplastic particles, the study found.

See also:

The high levels of microplastics in plastic bottled water has been documented many times, yes there are some present in water in general but they're at significantly higher levels in plastic bottles and it shouldn't really seem absurd that part of that is down to the fact the bottle is made out of plastic!

Soldato
@Richie thank for using the dowie arbitration service.

Welcome :cry:

It's quite apparent that andy is right and dlockers is wrong and is being rather silly about it as usual.

Yes and no. You only referred to the post about bottle creating microplastics but have failed to reference the initial argument from around post 10 - Microplastics and Plastic Leeching Chemicals being different.

Caporegime
Yes and no. You only referred to the post about bottle creating microplastics but have failed to reference the initial argument from around post 10 - Microplastics and Plastic Leeching Chemicals being different.

Don’t come at me with semantic nonsense bro. :D

Do you really need clarification that chemicals from plastic and micro plastics aren’t the same thing? No I don’t think you do, you’re smart enough to know better ergo the dowie arbitration service has focused on the pertinent issue.

Yes plastic bottles leak chemicals but they also cause high levels of micro plastics too.

You’re welcome. :)

Soldato
Too late. It's already in the food chain. You are eating it, every day.

What was once hailed as a miracle product, is going to turn out to be the bane of mankind for thousands of years to come.

Last edited:
Soldato
Microplastics are widely believed to be one of the things responsible for why Men's sperm levels have dropped so rapidly in the last few decades

Last edited:
Soldato
Don’t come at me with semantic nonsense bro. :D

Do you really need clarification that chemicals from plastic and micro plastics aren’t the same thing? No I don’t think you do, you’re smart enough to know better ergo the dowie arbitration service has focused on the pertinent issue.

Oh, I dont, the argument didnt involve me, just @dlockers and @Jack_green

Caporegime
Too late. It's already in the food chain. You are eating it, every day.

Yeah you're going to be exposed to some but you can certainly reduce exposure - IIRC plastic bottles contain 60 times the amount vs regular water.

You can reduce it in regular water too via filtering or boiling + of course prepping food from scratch can always help too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Man made fibres will be the next big scare imo.
even nylon takes 30-40 years to break down.

Almost all my clothes are blue/navy blue and the dust in my house is literally that colour.

So I know its all my clothes shedding microscopic strands.

If it gets in your lungs its obviously going to sit there probably until you die, no doubt it causes some kind of irritation as well.
Isn't the whole plastic thing based on the type of plastic construct that's used in the container/bottle rather than a catch-all "plastic=bad" thing? That's why bottles made now have to adhere to not using certain ingredients to avoid microplastic issues.
yea but all plastics still breakdown and are bad, even plants have been found to have plastic in them, our whole food chain does

Soldato
One thing to keep in mind is that there is no good evidence that microplastics cause any harm... yet.

There have been about three generations exposed to microplastics, and we haven't seen anything major that could be attributed to them as yet, likely due to their extremely non-reactive nature. Increased rates of cancer and mental problems are more attributed to better ability to diagnose rather than the plastic menace.

That is of course NOT to say we should allow this crap willy-nilly. The fact nanoplastics can cross the blood brain barrier is pretty scary.

Back
Top Bottom