Microsoft acquire Activision

Soldato
I can’t see game pass being cheap for much longer.

Agreed, you just need to look at the constant price rises in streaming services to see that it isn't feasible for it to remain absurdly cheap forever. Eventually it'll become the de facto way to play games on the Xbox and the price will reflect that.

Associate
Agreed, you just need to look at the constant price rises in streaming services to see that it isn't feasible for it to remain absurdly cheap forever. Eventually it'll become the de facto way to play games on the Xbox and the price will reflect that.

The might do a "Pro" version for early release on major titles otherwise the entry point might be a bit high.

Associate
This will be the same as with Bethesda you dont spent all that money to then put games on your competitors platform. Vanguard and service games will stay on Playstation but the main line CoD games will be Xbox/PC/Xcloud exclusive.
the only way these end up on Playstation is if Game Pass is alowed on there.

All the wording is the same as with the Bethesda deal. Expect the same!

Caporegime
This will be the same as with Bethesda you dont spent all that money to then put games on your competitors platform. Vanguard and service games will stay on Playstation but the main line CoD games will be Xbox/PC/Xcloud exclusive.
the only way these end up on Playstation is if Game Pass is alowed on there.

All the wording is the same as with the Bethesda deal. Expect the same!

I absolutely think they will be on the PlayStation. £60 a game for the biggest hardware sellers isn’t going to be turned down. The lure to Xbox will be the game pass. They are not about to lock out well over half there sales on the console that’s lost the last two generations and has only sold 8m X/S consoles.

Soldato
This will be the same as with Bethesda you dont spent all that money to then put games on your competitors platform.

I don't think this can be said with the same degree of certainty as it used to be; you don't necessarily spend all that money to lose the majority of a title's console unit sales either. MS appear to have quite an all-encompassing strategy for gaming these days and I think it's entirely possible they'll use these acquisitions to attract people to Xbox rather than exclude other platforms entirely.

Associate
I absolutely think they will be on the PlayStation. £60 a game for the biggest hardware sellers isn’t going to be turned down. The lure to Xbox will be the game pass. They are not about to lock out well over half there sales on the console that’s lost the last two generations and has only sold 8m X/S consoles.

I would not get your hopes up. Vanguard will stay as its a live service game. Mainline CoD games will not it makes no sense. MS does not care about game sales its about getting people hooked into Game Pass, take a look at Bethesda they said all the same stuff. This will be exactly the same.

If Sony allow Game Pass onto their closed box then maybe but thats the only way. Already I see huge casual CoD players that are looking to move over to Xbox. They won't need the sales on Playstaion.

Man of Honour
I don't think they will make those games Xbox Exclusives, but even things like feature exclusive will shift a lot of players to xbox. Whilst still reaping in all the sales for the release in Playstation. Can you imagine Ultimate Teams is an Xbox Exclusive ?

People said (prayed) for the same thing when MS bought Bethesda. MS basically responded by saying yep all future games will be MS exclusive and they don’t generally buy studios without planning that.

Much like Minecraft and Bethesda games, previous games will stay multi platform and previous exclusivity contracts will be honored.

Are we really going to go through this cycle of prayer and desperation with every acquisition when MS have been extremely clear and upfront about their strategy?

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think this can be said with the same degree of certainty as it used to be; you don't necessarily spend all that money to lose the majority of a title's console unit sales either. MS appear to have quite an all-encompassing strategy for gaming these days and I think it's entirely possible they'll use these acquisitions to attract people to Xbox rather than exclude other platforms entirely.

It will be Exclusive to the Game Pass ecosystem Xbox/PC/Xcloud. If Sony allows Game Pass onto their console then thats how it will work. MS didn't spent 70B to chuck Playstaion a bone when it will be there biggest asset in getting players moving over into the ecosystem.

Time will tell, but I stick by it.

Associate
People said (prayed) for the same thing when MA bought Bethesda. MS basically responded by saying yep all future games will be MS exclusive and they don’t generally buy studios without planning that.

Much like Minecraft and Bethesda games, previous games will stay multi platform and previous exclusivity contracts will be honored.

Yep! Exactly what I think. They are happy to lose the sales to Sony and in trade get an extra 10million Game Pass subs. This is all they care about, at work today the guys that only play CoD,Fifa and Battlefield are talking about changing over to Xbox and getting a Game Pass sub. They have seen what happend with Bethesda and the Game Pass value just keeps going up.

Soldato
Scrapping consoles for PC is getting more attractive for me. Minus the shoddy ports. Not that I've played an Activision game in over 10 years but the general studio monopoly game going on makes me just want to have the most 'access' for the fewer devices.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This acquisition is 10 times what they paid for bethesda. The Xbox sales numbers just aren’t big enough for all these games even if we were paying £120 a year for game pass. It’s not about throwing Sony a bone. The selling point will be for the cost of two games per year you get all these games and back catalogue. They can still do that and charge PlayStation users £60 for the new title.

Someone has to pay for all these games.

Associate
If they just wanted a Game Pass deal they could have made one and it would have been hell of a lot cheaper than 70B. They could have made a deal like EA access or something but no they want the whole lot.

Soldato
It will be Exclusive to the Game Pass ecosystem Xbox/PC/Xcloud. If Sony allows Game Pass onto their console then thats how it will work. MS didn't spent 70B to chuck Playstaion a bone when it will be there biggest asset in getting players moving over into the ecosystem.

Time will tell, but I stick by it.

Their current "first party" library of games isn't exclusive to the Game Pass ecosystem as it is; you can still choose to purchase outright any game on Game Pass.

Soldato
As a gamepass subscriber this seems like good news (although I haven't played a COD game for years) but Microsoft buying up everything just doesn't sit right and I don't think it will be a good move for the gaming industry.

Can't see them making the games xbox exclusive though, maybe exclusive on the cloud platform but physical / digital sales continue on all consoles.

Back
Top Bottom