Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 announced.

Associate
Hmm, kinda hyped but also kinda confused

Can only assume current third party content for msfs2020 will be compatible, if not then people are going to lose the plot.

Does look amazing though, i noticed the terrain looks a lot better, especially at low atltitudes although im going to guess its cherry picked areas... really hope it's global though !

Last edited:
Associate
Quite unexpected I think?

I hope this is an upgrade to the current game, with all the current third party addons still being compatible. Looks pretty incredible it has to be said.
https://www.flightsimulator.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2024/
"This brand-new simulator is designed to take advantage of the latest technologies in simulation, cloud, machine learning, graphics and gaming to create the most sophisticated, immersive and awe-inspiring flight simulator of all time. To achieve this unprecedented level of accuracy, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is powered by the significantly evolved Asobo Studio engine."
Looks like a new game and upgraded engine.

The activities do look fantastic

Last edited:
Soldato
A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. Loving the look of the activities, pretty sure I saw seasons, and it looks gorgeous.

Possible that it's geared more towards casual players, or you reckon that they will keep all the detail from 2020?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Very “shiny” visuals, which I’m not wholly convinced of. Otherwise the visuals look ace, eg how the leaves on the trees wafted around, that was awesome looking.

Will the new engine finally bring in multi core support????

Last edited:
Permabanned
I bet its the same engine tweaked, apparently even what we have now in FS2020 retained some FSX code.

FAQ says anything (or mostly) bought on the FS2020 marketplace will work in FS2024 so no worrys there, quite looking fwd to it actually and I'll probably got get a dedicated 4 TB SSD and keep both sims on it, currently my FS2020 has its own 2 TB SSD.

Soldato
I’m hyped! What a great little presentation, though I want to know much more.

This was a good summary of what was shown posted by someone on the flight sim forums (credit maelmoor):

Biggest sim ever made, 500 people working on it. 2020 reached the limit technology wise, hence the new edition. Three focus areas were mentioned:

Focus 1: Aviation Activity System

• As seen in the 2024 announcement trailer, accurate sim/aviation representation, working with organizations/experts in these areas
Focus 2: Core Sim & Technology

• Thin client, less to download, faster loading times, helps keep min specs low
  • New physics and aerodynamics engine
  • Massive performance improvements, multi-threaded
  • More control for aircraft creators
  • Backwards-compatible (community folder still there)
  • Updated systems (electrical, pneumatic, fuel and hydraulic)
  • Failure, wear and tear system
  • Payload and passenger system overhaul
  • Deeper and wider avionics packages
Focus 3: Digital Twin

• Terrain PG 15 cm (like Grand Canyon in the 2024 trailer), 50 cm “2D to 3D” where you there is no PG, using sat data (like Kilimanjaro in the 2024 trailer)
  • Enhanced tree diversity
  • Improved cliffs
  • 3D tessellated ground materials
  • Improved ground details
  • Full seasons
  • Aurora borealis, tornados improved storms
  • Animals herds and migration
  • World live ship traffic
  • Accurate live traffic + more real liveries
  • Improved vehicle traffic

Great news about backwards compatibility and how addons can be improved to the new systems incrementally.

I’m absolutely loving all of that but particularly the living world stuff (I want more life in the sim without tanking performance), all the AI terrain stuff is going to be epic and I’m especially looking forward to even poorer resolution areas getting an AI makeover, and the engine getting properly multithreaded is going to be huge for performance in VR in particular.

Sounds positively awesome and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. Hope they do beta flights again!

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah the current ground textures although they look fantastic I do use the google maps app to use their images instead. Not sure if they have any other higher res imagery?

Back
Top Bottom