Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 announced.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Will only get this if on half price sale or something. Not put enough time into 2020 to justify upgrading. If that ever changes then I will.

Associate
Will only get this if on half price sale or something. Not put enough time into 2020 to justify upgrading. If that ever changes then I will.
I am a bit similar. They are saying that 2020 will continue to have some support and will have the upgraded scenery. It will depend on features but I doubt I will be swapping immediately.

Soldato
This looks interesting, the career mode has spiked my interest.

Interestingly, if I buy, this will be my first foray into MSFS.

Previous iterations, I just felt flying around places just viewing things, wouldn't keep me interested.

Associate
This looks interesting, the career mode has spiked my interest.

Interestingly, if I buy, this will be my first foray into MSFS.

Previous iterations, I just felt flying around places just viewing things, wouldn't keep me interested.
The challenge of simulating just flying from place to place as realistically as possible is the point of flight simulators for most players but like any type of gameplay it won't interest everyone.

It will be interesting to see whether they can add in more gameplay elements while maintaining the simulation focus. I don't see why not and it will probably attract new players like yourself who haven't been interested in the past.

Soldato
My only wish is that MSFS2024 is more stable and less buggy than its predecessor.

I play this on Xbox, Im hoping for the same, mind Ive found it stable for the most part just with all the updates adding in more complex stuff they have made a few sacrifices on Xbox such as LOD, it used to look stunning at release, it still looks ok but not as good as it once did.
Hoping 2024 can somehow solve that, I think a lot of stuff is getting offloaded to the cloud in 2024, so perhaps that will help.

Not expecting it, but would be cool if there was some discount for owners of the 2020 premium edition, I plan to purchase outright despite having gp ultimate.

Last edited:
Associate
I play this on Xbox, Im hoping for the same, mind Ive found it stable for the most part just with all the updates adding in more complex stuff they have made a few sacrifices on Xbox such as LOD, it used to look stunning at release, it still looks ok but not as good as it once did.
Hoping 2024 can somehow solve that, I think a lot of stuff is getting offloaded to the cloud in 2024, so perhaps that will help.

Not expecting it, but would be cool if there was some discount for owners of the 2020 premium edition, I plan to purchase outright despite having gp ultimate.
I played the sim on PC. For the first year after launch it was mostly ok, some bugs but nothing too egregious. Didn't have any crashes I can think of. But as soon as Asobo started to modify the code for Xbox/console and added new features, performance & stability tanked. It didn't even matter if I was just using a "vanilla" install without any 3rd party mods.

As @TNA has suggested, I will probably wait at least 6-12 months before picking it up. I feel burned by how MSFS2020 turned out.

Associate
I can't remember having one crash so far but my usage will be low compared to many. I also have only used the smaller simpler aircraft so far.

The plans for 2024 to have less installed by default and rely more downloading as needed sound like a step in the wrong direction to me.

Soldato
I really hope the local cache feature is improved, my internet sucks but I have plenty of drive space where I could happily download data for areas I want to fly over but the current implementation makes it a pita to get best quality data for anything other than very small areas.

Soldato
The challenge of simulating just flying from place to place as realistically as possible is the point of flight simulators for most players but like any type of gameplay it won't interest everyone........

Exactly, you really should start at the beginning with something like a C152, learn to start it from a cold and dark state, learn how to navigate using the radios before touching GPS. Then progress to a twin with a constant speed prop and glass cockpit, learn everything again before progressing to a small turboprop with a fully working FMS and learn everything again, before progressing to the big boys. That way you're simulating the journey of a real world pilot.

Associate
If anyone is bored, and in the Bristol area, on Sunday the Bristol Flight Simulator Group are having an open day at Aerospace Bristol (home of Concorde) It's free to get in to the room we'll be in but you'll have to pay if you want to do the museum as well. FS stuff open from about 11AM to 4PM.

Back
Top Bottom