Microsoft Flight Simulator

Soldato
Plus you can just jump ahead to the final approach, landing etc if you want.

Isn’t ‘Y’ autopilot on some planes? I forget, I haven’t used it often. If I do use it I often press the button manually in the cockpit.

It blew my mind yesterday when I found all the cockpit menus on the map. Also when I restarted it and it showed the Garmin logo for a few seconds as it ‘loaded’. Had a stunning flight over Vegas and Hoover dam yesterday.

It's a beautiful game that really showcases the awesome power of the Series X. Years ago it was impossible to believe that even any of the previous Flight Simulator games would be playable on a console. And now we've got this one, with all of its live, detailed maps, live weather, air traffic data, and all in 4k at 30fps. It's truly a masterful achievement.

Oh, and it's on Game Pass. It's just ridiculous.

Soldato
Agreed but with kids I have limited flying time. If I'm hopping over the Atlantic then I'd have to be afk or do it in stints. Short haul I completely agree.

Yeah I get that. I've got kids as well and can't dedicate anywhere near a decent amount of time to do the game justice. I played it on the PC for a bit, but decided I'd start out with some of the tutorials. I've also done some of the quick flight options as well just to have a look at how the game runs on the Series X and it's just mind-blowing. I can't believe I'm sitting on a sofa playing this from a console through my 4k TV.

Man of Honour
OK I've played this on PC since launch last year although only really at decent settings after doing my pc build in November.
Just launched this on Series X for the first time; Jesus how did they manage to get this running so well on here?
Just flown over Venice which can be a struggle at times even on a decent gaming rig and yes there's some slowdown but it looks incredible!!

Associate
Surely whether a PS5 is powerful or not is a mute point, MS would never port it. Or is there a PS5 hacking scene where you can run Xbox games?

Soldato
Anyone else find brightness OTT and lots of elements often clipping ? I mean I have a pretty well calibrated non HD TV - 1080p and obviously HDR off in game (can't enable it anyway) and at some times of day/clear weather everything overblown in game - the planes look completely white with no detail and some of landscape looks completely over exposed ? Change time of day and weather and looks great

Soldato
Downloaded the game last night. Oh my it’s a pretty game. Not flown far, mainly over my house and areas I know. Only got the XSX controller at the moment, Thrustmaster Hotas One is on order but god knows when it’ll arrive..

Need to sort out the AI assistance as it’s too easy. Started those world updates but my lord they take their time.

Not touched anything bigger than a Cessna 152 as it’ll not be worth trying until my stick arrives.

Soldato
Not sure if I was expecting too much but I’ve got live maps enabled but places I’ve visited rarely look like how they should?

For example the area my house is majority of the houses look like barns with starlight windows . Few times aswell the terrain looks flat as if it hasn’t rendered.

Is the game struggling at the moment? Or is it a case it needs to cache a bit more?

Soldato
Not sure if I was expecting too much but I’ve got live maps enabled but places I’ve visited rarely look like how they should?

For example the area my house is majority of the houses look like barns with starlight windows . Few times aswell the terrain looks flat as if it hasn’t rendered.

Is the game struggling at the moment? Or is it a case it needs to cache a bit more?

It's nothing to do with caching or the game struggling. That's by design. For areas that the game algorithms have populated from Bing maps and satellite data, they have generic buildings as a best guess based on what they get from the actual proper map data. Other areas that look as they should have all been created by hand by the developers. They're for the more popular populated areas.

It's still incredibly impressive nonetheless.

Soldato

Yeah my city looks mad at low level, but tbh you are supposed to be 2k ft in the air or higher and it looks pretty good from up there, I can easily navigate using roads and land marks in the North East and it's got barely any proper models.

Soldato
Yeah my city looks mad at low level, but tbh you are supposed to be 2k ft in the air or higher and it looks pretty good from up there, I can easily navigate using roads and land marks in the North East and it's got barely any proper models.

yeah I think I was expecting to see me sunbathing in the garden or something.

Soldato
Is there a known issue when adjusting the trim? I’ve been trying to fly around in the Cessna 152 just to get used to it and the trim can be very unpredictable even sending me into a nose dive. Im trying to adjust it slightly but it’ll go into full death mode and send me heading for the ground.

Soldato
Is there a known issue when adjusting the trim? I’ve been trying to fly around in the Cessna 152 just to get used to it and the trim can be very unpredictable even sending me into a nose dive. Im trying to adjust it slightly but it’ll go into full death mode and send me heading for the ground.

So, I think I’ve figured out the issue. I remapped the trim to a more convenient button while flying and rather than physically move the cursor and trim the aircraft with the right stick I’ve opted for RB and Right Stick up or down depending on the requirement. Two test flights in, both around 30 minutes trimming the aircraft up and down and I’ve not experienced any issues. Happy days.

Once my Hotas One arrives I won’t need to XSX pad but until then I can at least fly half decently.

Soldato
Is anyone using the HOTAS One? Is it any good?
I have the PS4 version. Obviously I haven't tried it with Flight Sim but works well with Star Wars Squadrons. Good look and feel for a budget stick and better quality than I thought for the price, can only imagine how good the higher end ones are. I would prefer it to be heavier as it moves occasionally in full battle but I guess price reflects that. Also there wont be many dog fights with Tie Fighters in MS Flight Sim.

Soldato
Few short flights I tried yesterday getting used to the auto pilot in the A320, managed both successfully, landings were a little rough though. This sim is so impressive on the series X.

Gatwick>Liverpool- A320neo IFR low yesterday afternoon (live weather)
IMG-0042.jpg

IMG-0043.jpg

Heathrow>Paris A320neo IFR low yesterday evening. (live weather)

IMG-0045.jpg

IMG-0046.jpg

Back
Top Bottom