Microsoft Flight Simulator

Soldato
Few short flights I tried yesterday getting used to the auto pilot in the A320, managed both successfully, landings were a little rough though. This sim is so impressive on the series X.

Gatwick>Liverpool- A320neo IFR low yesterday afternoon (live weather)
IMG-0042.jpg

IMG-0043.jpg

Heathrow>Paris A320neo IFR low yesterday evening. (live weather)

IMG-0045.jpg

IMG-0046.jpg

Stunning pictures, how did you learn IFR the A320? I’m still trying to get my head around the 747, take off, cruise and descent is fine, turning on to finals the aircraft just freaks out and goes into a death spin. All I did was descend to 2300..

From my limited knowledge, the Airbus is easier to fly so I may hop into that and get used to it before going back to tame the Queen.

Soldato
Stunning pictures, how did you learn IFR the A320? I’m still trying to get my head around the 747, take off, cruise and descent is fine, turning on to finals the aircraft just freaks out and goes into a death spin. All I did was descend to 2300..

From my limited knowledge, the Airbus is easier to fly so I may hop into that and get used to it before going back to tame the Queen.

I just watched a few tutorial videos to learn the basics. Maybe a bug? Did you select an ILS approach in the drop down on the world map.

It’s quite easy once you know the basics of auto pilot and the 320 seems quite a good plane to learn the basics.

First I select a departure and destination in the world map.

Then select IFR low airways. I’ve only flown short trips so far around UK.

In the destination drop down, right side I think, look for anything that says ILS. You will then get an approach in pink on the map.

In plane I takeoff, turn on flight director and auto pilot switches, once above 1500ft, decrease throttle to the CLD position, (don’t need to touch this for rest of flight) auto thrust does it’s thing, just idle to deactivate auto thrust as you land.

All speed, heading is managed, just adjust altitude as ATC requires.

Once near to destination, enable approach as well.

I’m still learning myself, but as said there is some great tutorials out there. I used the below for some great tips, it’s about auto thrust but he explains a few other things as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just watched a few tutorial videos to learn the basics. Maybe a bug? Did you select an ILS approach in the drop down on the world map.

It’s quite easy once you know the basics of auto pilot and the 320 seems quite a good plane to learn the basics.

First I select a departure and destination in the world map.

Then select IFR low airways. I’ve only flown short trips so far around UK.

In the destination drop down, right side I think, look for anything that says ILS. You will then get an approach in pink on the map.

In plane I takeoff, turn on flight director and auto pilot switches, once above 1500ft, decrease throttle to the CLD position, (don’t need to touch this for rest of flight) auto thrust does it’s thing, just idle to deactivate auto thrust as you land.

All speed, heading is managed, just adjust altitude as ATC requires.

Once near to destination, enable approach as well.

I’m still learning myself, but as said there is some great tutorials out there. I used the below for some great tips, it’s about auto thrust but he explains a few other things as well.

Thanks, I’ll check those videos out. Too many tutorials don’t cater for noobs and assume you know x,y & z beforehand.

Soldato
Had a play around with the Airbus over the weekend after watching a few tutorials and I’ve been able to successfully file a flight plan, take off and land using the FMS which I’m happy with.

I did have a couple of issues on two unsuccessful flights, where the aircraft would be at cruise and randomly bank to the right and not correct itself. Turning off the AP and correcting the heading then reengaging the AP would make it follow the flight plan as if nothing happened which is strange.

The other issue was trying to land at Liverpool John Lennon where the magenta diamonds just wouldn’t line up (the tutorials I watched advise me to wait until they lined up before hitting the APPR & LOC buttons).

I’m absolutely loving it now I can fly from A to B as intended. Now I just need to do what I’m doing with ATC for added realism.

Soldato
Had a play around with the Airbus over the weekend after watching a few tutorials and I’ve been able to successfully file a flight plan, take off and land using the FMS which I’m happy with.

I did have a couple of issues on two unsuccessful flights, where the aircraft would be at cruise and randomly bank to the right and not correct itself. Turning off the AP and correcting the heading then reengaging the AP would make it follow the flight plan as if nothing happened which is strange.

The other issue was trying to land at Liverpool John Lennon where the magenta diamonds just wouldn’t line up (the tutorials I watched advise me to wait until they lined up before hitting the APPR & LOC buttons).

I’m absolutely loving it now I can fly from A to B as intended. Now I just need to do what I’m doing with ATC for added realism.

Could be a bug, there is quite a few bugs in this game that still need to be fixed from what I read.

I'm unsure when to press the approach button, so far I have guessed correctly, normally I press it when Im about 2000ft or so and more or less lined up with the runway. The LOC button, I don't think you should need to activate that manually, it will activate automatically.

I'm just using the Ai pilot ATC, not sure i can be bothered with that.

Another thing I learned the other day in the A320 is inputting an airport manually into the MCDU, really cool thing to learn as you will be flying and may want to land somewhere not on your flight plan, it sets up an ILS approach as well, providing airport has ILS. Below is a rough guide I got from someone else, its a bit tricky at first.

"On the MCDU, on the first option of the directory ("dir"), type the 4 digit code of the airport and enter in the top left (waypoint), and then enable direct on the bottom right option.

Then on Flight Plan page (F-pln) select the destination airport you just entered, on the top right select "Arrivals>" and now you will see all available approaches. Select the one you want and "Insert>"

Caporegime
OP
Heck, just reading these posts about all the controls makes my brain seize up. I still just fly around with everything done on AI and enjoy the views. Currently flying about 1000 ft above US Highway 101 all the way up from LA to Aberdeen, Washington.

Soldato
Another thing I learned the other day in the A320 is inputting an airport manually into the MCDU, really cool thing to learn as you will be flying and may want to land somewhere not on your flight plan, it sets up an ILS approach as well, providing airport has ILS. Below is a rough guide I got from someone else, its a bit tricky at first.

"On the MCDU, on the first option of the directory ("dir"), type the 4 digit code of the airport and enter in the top left (waypoint), and then enable direct on the bottom right option.

Then on Flight Plan page (F-pln) select the destination airport you just entered, on the top right select "Arrivals>" and now you will see all available approaches. Select the one you want and "Insert>"

So once you have done that and select an approach it just overrides any previous flight plan you had set up? I'll have a play around with it, mixes things up a bit.

Soldato
So once you have done that and select an approach it just overrides any previous flight plan you had set up? I'll have a play around with it, mixes things up a bit.

Oh yeah sorry, I actually wasn't sure if it overrides any current flight plan, I was going to get around to trying that, I have just tested it by straight out departure with no flight plan.

There must be a way to remove a flight plan already in the mcdu I presume.

Soldato
Oh yeah sorry, I actually wasn't sure if it overrides any current flight plan, I was going to get around to trying that, I have just tested it by straight out departure with no flight plan.

There must be a way to remove a flight plan already in the mcdu I presume.

Not sure if you’ve said previously but do you use a stick/yoke or just the controller? I did have the Hotas One on pre-order but cancelled it. Now I’ve got my head around the Airbus I’m tempted to pick one up again.

Soldato
Not sure if you’ve said previously but do you use a stick/yoke or just the controller? I did have the Hotas One on pre-order but cancelled it. Now I’ve got my head around the Airbus I’m tempted to pick one up again.

I just use Xbox pad and a wireless mouse for navigation and cockpit controls, I was thinking about a stick but I’m finding the pad fine myself.

How do you guys take screenshots without the UI in them?

Top taskbar, camera tab and It’s under showcase tab I think or maybe drone mode, there is loads of different views and modes in there some with UI and some without.

Soldato
I just use Xbox pad and a wireless mouse for navigation and cockpit controls, I was thinking about a stick but I’m finding the pad fine myself.

Top taskbar, camera tab and It’s under showcase tab I think or maybe drone mode, there is loads of different views and modes in there some with UI and some without.
Nice one, thanks!

Soldato
If anyone fancies a challenge then fly somewhere in the NE USA with real world weather. The East coast is currently getting battered, I did a hop from Philly to NY La Guardia which was tough. Even with auto land in the A320 neo it struggled. I got it on the ground but took the whole runway to stop and probably should have gone around (I’ve no idea how to initiate a missed approach just yet).

Associate
Got myself a Hotas One flight stick today, first impressions very good, need to learn how to play the game properly now rather than just doing random sight seeing flights with no objective.

Back
Top Bottom