Microsoft releases Security Essentials today

Permabanned
Well, download it and run it. First time i have used an AV for years. Guess what it found?

Zilch! No infections

Not bad for using the PC for several years without an AV etc!!

Soldato
Well, download it and run it. First time i have used an AV for years. Guess what it found?

Zilch! No infections

Not bad for using the PC for several years without an AV etc!!

My friend's PC came up clean with a different AV,however Malwarebytes found 11 malware/trojans ,so you can never be too careful.

Soldato
I think I'll be trying it as I've read glowing reports about this product. It received an A+ from independent security experts.

Have you got any links/sources for that? Genuine question, as Wikipedia (yes, I know) quotes PC Magazine as saying:
Wikipedia said:
During an on-demand scan, MSE found 89 percent of malware samples; but only 30 percent of commercial keyloggers. Those results were average, according to the editor. MSE found 67 percent of rootkits. The suite detected half of the editor's scareware samples. The suite's real-time protection found 83 percent of malware and blocked the majority of them. In this test, 40 percent of the commercial keyloggers were found. MSE found 78 percent of the rootkits.

Now fair enough that was during the beta period, but can detection and cleanup rates really have improved dramatically since? Those are pretty poor figures!

Soldato
I installed it an hour or so ago, and so far I like it - Well check in a few days if it's let anything skip through though. Atleast it's stopped all the False-positives that Avira was throwing at me for Aion. I was getting about 3 an hour while I was on Aion. Got so damn annoying.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
People really are up in arms about the mouse sized ram usage? really? come on....

In more actual news it seems other AV vendors are trash talking Security Essentials in a bid to downplay the effectiveness of MS' product, which the core itself has been in business security use for years (Forefront) and been very effective too.

Slashdot has the lowdown and as usual, the bulk of sharp and witty comments:

When Pressed, Symantec admitted they were actually describing their own products, burst into tears, and chugged the rest of the bottle of whiskey.

:p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is dangerous. The end of third party security apps is nigh! Microsoft Firewall and AV... :eek:

i see your point, but MS more than most want windows protected, after all its the Mac v PC war "you don't get virus's on apples crap" - MS no that virus's and spyware look bad on them so i think what they are doing is great

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Well we get a powerful enterprise class Anti-badware product for free so everybody wins, well maybe not other freeware AV makers so much :p

Back
Top Bottom