*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
My only gripe with 11 is the same as what I had with 10 and Vista. After all these years MS STILL have not fixed the bug where some folder views will reset themselves.

At the moment I am fighting with the Recycle Bin. I like to have its view set to grouped by location deleted, then all groups collapsed so I can expand only the group I want etc. I then have the sorting order to sort by last deleted first. Makes finding deleted items by location and time super quick and easy.

I could load the Bin 3 hours later and find the view has reset to list view or detailed view for example.

I've tried every "fix" on the internet but it still happens and plenty of other people have the same issue.

It is annoying!

Yup, gotta agree there. It always has been very frustrating. But at least Shellfolderfix used to work correctly up to Windows 11.

It doesn't seem to like Windows 11, sadly.

Soldato
IIRC that is one that I have tried, not with great success. I might be tempted to go back and try again but I do find that over time some of my previously opened Windows will not retain their sizes or positions. Sometimes it is the view type. As you noted this issue really needs to be fixed by MS.

Soldato
I was on Windows 7 for years, and loved it. I had to upgrade as 7 didn't use 32gb ram, only 16gb. So I went to Windows 10.........hated it.

Things changed at most bootups, - settings, folders and I wasn't happy. I installed Windows 11 this morning (from the 4th try) and I must admit I'm impressed.

It looks better, much cleaner and the things I change stay there which doesn't stress me out :)

Associate
" Windows 11 build 22509 now in Dev Channel.
This build brings better options for the Recommended section in Start. Tough, you still can't disable this feature completely. The Taskbar will now show the clock across all monitors and more."

Well, it's about time, though rainmeter has served me well, I prefer removing 3rd party apps for stuff that w11 should have had from the start...

Soldato
Ive got Windows 11 looking the way I want using Open-Shell. But is there anyway to disable the Windows 11 start menu and just keep the new Open_shell one?

Man of Honour
My only gripe with 11 is the same as what I had with 10 and Vista. After all these years MS STILL have not fixed the bug where some folder views will reset themselves.

At the moment I am fighting with the Recycle Bin. I like to have its view set to grouped by location deleted, then all groups collapsed so I can expand only the group I want etc. I then have the sorting order to sort by last deleted first. Makes finding deleted items by location and time super quick and easy.

I could load the Bin 3 hours later and find the view has reset to list view or detailed view for example.

I've tried every "fix" on the internet but it still happens and plenty of other people have the same issue.

It is annoying!

Same as the way in 7 and some other variants deleting a file won't always result in the folder window updating that it is gone until you manually refresh. Annoying how bugs like this are well known but never get fixed.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I managed to fix the folder views resetting by increasing the BagsMRU size in the registry. So far no folders have reset since so I would def recommend doing this method :cool:

The folder contents not refreshing when you delete a file or folder for example as you mentioned still remains a random bug though. That is indeed one that's 10+ years old now and never been sorted by MS.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Your product key should be digital and tied to your MS account anyway so just sign into your MS account on reinstall and it does everything automatically.

Fresh install via Settings > System > Recovery.

Soldato
Your product key should be digital and tied to your MS account anyway so just sign into your MS account on reinstall and it does everything automatically.

Fresh install via Settings > System > Recovery.
Ah thanks for answering my question so quick..... Im installing win 11 on a different drive, so I can carry on using win10 while Im messing and getting everything installed on 11. Then I will move 11 onto my main drive replacing win10,,, or thats the plan anyway

Back
Top Bottom