*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Are many using Win11 as their daily? I'm thinking of trying it on a older laptop I have lying around.

I'm using it (in situ upgrade installation) - everything is working fine for me, no issues.

I believe a clean installation will enable BitLocker drive encryption by default, so probably worth being aware of that and ensuring the key is saved in your MS account or elsewhere. As I upgraded in-situ BitLocker is off. I'm not planning on enabling it for the moment as it's my gaming PC. For a laptop you travel with it would be worth considering though.

Last edited:
Associate
Daily driving win11, only major annoyance so far is not having task manager when right clicking the task bar. I keep doing it, then I *sigh* and do win+x to task manager (ctrl+shift+esc is not that great of a shortcut ergonomically).

Other than that, no crashes, no issues with any app, no issues with drivers, everything in working order. On a "non supported cpu" (i5 4690k).
Still thinking if I should take the plunge and upgrade my wooden laptop as well (1st gen i7).

Caporegime
Only issue I've had so far is Windows Spotlight (picture on the lock screen) stopped working for a few days. But an update last night seemed to have fixed that again. Says a lot when it's such a minor issue with the new OS. Very pleased overall.

Associate
I use a Razer mouse and keyboard and have been getting random freezes in Windows 11. I also had it in Windows 10 as well. Seems worse in 11. Reboot seems to clear for a while. Also getting the issue where after switching off my screen, it will only allow a maximum 1080p resolution unless I reinstall the driver or reboot, then I can get 4k. Had this in 10 too.

I also had the issue in Windows10, however updated the firmware which seems to have resolved the issue.

https://mysupport.razer.com/app/ans...re-and-firmware-updates-for-razer-peripherals

Associate
I know small taskbar icons isnt native in Windows 11, on a VM I installed W11 and I used the registry hack to do it. But the clock and system tray is all messed up as if half of it is going under the screen. Is there a way to fix this as I dont want normal taskbar icon sizes but I dont want to deal with a half cut off clock and system icons tray either.

Soldato
I know small taskbar icons isnt native in Windows 11, on a VM I installed W11 and I used the registry hack to do it. But the clock and system tray is all messed up as if half of it is going under the screen. Is there a way to fix this as I dont want normal taskbar icon sizes but I dont want to deal with a half cut off clock and system icons tray either.

I have the exact same issue, the registry edit works but messes the clock up, I belive it's because it's on 2 lines rather than 1 ...but any ideas welcome.

Associate
I have the exact same issue, the registry edit works but messes the clock up, I belive it's because it's on 2 lines rather than 1 ...but any ideas welcome.
Ive looked online and the StartAllBack program can give you small taskbar icons without messing up the clock.

I think I will update to Windows 11 because of that, it has loads of options on it too for customising

Soldato
I tried it on my old laptop. Thus far I've only had one problem. The trackpad is too sensitive with the original driver. There seems no way of adjusting and they've not updated the driver in years. It installed and worked fine otherwise. The trackpad is a showstopper though.

Back
Top Bottom