*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
Edit - pulled the data and power cables. Operation sort out a proper backup solution is being expedited :o. Still don't know what the best solution is, almost all of my data that needs backing up/generates new data are my photos off my camera to be edited.
Macrium reflect to a NAS, and then if you have decent upload bandwidth perhaps look at Backblaze B2.

Caporegime
Macrium reflect to a NAS, and then if you have decent upload bandwidth perhaps look at Backblaze B2.
Thanks Chris. Don't think a NAS is for me quite yet, reason being is I have an HTPC already and no spare network ports in my set up. Assume I can use the software for an external as well. Haha and that's why my project to upload some of this data to the cloud didn't take off, my upload speeds were pitiful. Fortunately I'm getting 1GB down/up next month. I've put in a quote request to a data recovery company. In the meantime, fired up GetDataBack and it sees the drive (Windows nor BIOS could see it) and I can seemingly access the folders.

Edit - the holiday pics in question are copying and I can view them fine on the target drive. Not the quickest solution but I think I can get it all off. Update - recovered a couple of hundred GBs so far, a few bad sectors that wouldn't copy but very few. The recovery software previously crashed when trying to scan the drive but eventually got through, I can now use WE and the drive shows but isn't accessible.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks again everyone, got out of a huge pickle. A new 4TB IronWolf is coming next, I'll order an external for automated backups and find a cloud solution. >800GB recovered - God bless your GetDataBack and this unclaimed 1TB external drive I found years ago.

Coincidentally one of my camera memory cards is acting a little weird :rolleyes: :cry:

Soldato
We're rolling out 11 slowly at work now all setup and tests fine. Not really looked into W11 in terms of gaming however, so to save me a while of googling, can somebody sum up any negatives in gaming with W11?

TIA

Man of Honour
There are no negatives for gaming. It is either the same performance as Win 10 (older games) or slightly better performance (newer games) - Where it will be a bigger jump is when Direct Storage is implemented in various games over the next couple of years and Windows 11 will be better for that than 10 due to having a native storage stack that supports it as opposed to 10's adapted legacy stack.

Obviously DX12 technologies etc are better suited to Windows 11, so there is that too.

Soldato
There are no negatives for gaming. It is either the same performance as Win 10 (older games) or slightly better performance (newer games) - Where it will be a bigger jump is when Direct Storage is implemented in various games over the next couple of years and Windows 11 will be better for that than 10 due to having a native storage stack that supports it as opposed to 10's adapted legacy stack.

Obviously DX12 technologies etc are better suited to Windows 11, so there is that too.

Non. You can still game.

Ta.

So no worse in supporting older games than W10?

Man of Honour
There are no negatives for gaming.
Really? Why does pretty much every single Pro I watch on Twitch still use Windows 10?

Why was sound seriously ruined for me when I tried 11 and it was immediately fixed when I went back to 10?

Wild sweeping internet statements FTW.

Man of Honour
Your sound probably down to your sound drivers not being up to date or a BIOS issue that was corrected in an update. Windows 11 is deeper ingrained within the UEFI system etc for starters.

As for the twitch "pro" gamers, well that's their preference I suppose? Or it's perception? Win11 wasn't exactly favoured around launch for a while for various reasons and just like Vista, once a bad rep, the stigma sticks for ages...

Actual tech houses who review compare gaming under both OSes have time and time again shown virtually no difference in games that don't use any special tech that prefers Windows 11 (aka advanced DX12 features etc).

You don't need to listen to twitch gamers on this matter, you only need to do a quick search and watch or read a few reviews from reputable sites and channels, of which there are plenty.

Soldato
Really? Why does pretty much every single Pro I watch on Twitch still use Windows 10?
While I can't say I'm a fan of windows 11, I've got it on a laptop, I will say that for someone that has windows 10 set up 'exactly' as I like it, windows 11 is such a backwards step in usability (for me) that it could be a simple case of sticking with 'what works how you want it to when you want it to'.

Essentially 'productivity' outside of the gaming side of things is where they're likely most affected, performance of games won't be much different to windows 10 (now they've fixed bugs for amd) due to windows 11 basically being a UI refresh at it's core.

Some games might have issues with efficiency/performance type intel cpu's but that affects windows 10 and 11.

Man of Honour
Productivity is better under 11 vs 10, Window behaviour like snapping and desktops/virtual desktops remembering exactly what was open and where through Windows Update restarts etc is one of the major plus points.

Soldato
Productivity is better under 11 vs 10, Window behaviour like snapping and desktops/virtual desktops remembering exactly what was open and where through Windows Update restarts etc is one of the major plus points.
Not in my case it isn't. Reboots on windows 10 don't seem to be an issue for me but then I have set the times outside of 'work time' etc, my desktops in windows 10 don't lose their layouts when they're on (I'm not dual screen which iirc is an issue though).

As for snapping, I've got a very nice collection of 'ms' software called power toys and I have fancyzones set up how I'm most likely to have the windows set up...

Soldato
Wondering earlier, did they scrap the cpu requirements? I installed to my Lenovo tiny(6500T) and Ryzen 3 laptop(2200U) and didn't have to bypass anything it just installed normally, they both have TPM and secure boot so I passed that anyway but I thought there was supposed to be a cpu check.

Back
Top Bottom