*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Permabanned
OP
Holy **** I just realised how ******* stupid Microsoft are - I straight up disabled the Widgets option on the taskbar as I have no use for that stuff but was just doing an upgrade on another system for someone and had a quick look at it... it is everything the Start Menu should be - aesthetically looks good, have group management and customisation options, etc. etc. sadly you can't really repurpose it as a Start Menu from what I can see at a quick glance... on the flip side as a news/information feed it is pretty bad...

How are the developers of this OS such incompetent clowns?

*facepalms repeatedly*

That thing gets turned off instantly if I see it on any machine.

Man of Honour
I hate it, it is obnoxiously massive and pointless. One you've been using classic start for so long anything else feels inferior in most ways imaginable.

Are you sure you are completely removing it or simply turning off in taskbar settings? As it stills runs in the BG otherwise (WINKEY+W) :p

CMD for those wanting to get rid of it fully:

# Remove the installed package for each user
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Where-Object {$_.Name -like "*WebExperience*"} | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

Man of Honour
I hate it, it is obnoxiously massive and pointless. One you've been using classic start for so long anything else feels inferior in most ways imaginable.

It is a horrible thing as a feed - but it has all the features there implemented which would underpin a decent modern take on the Start Menu, like in 10 but better. While the Start Menu in 11 is a poor rip off of Android's app drawer but worse.

Man of Honour
Ended up updating my Windows 10 gaming laptop to 11, something just not right with 10 on it and can't get to the bottom of it, so far not having the same problem under 11. Even with a reinstall from verified clean media and avoiding any 3rd party software (pretty sure it wasn't anything like that or malware, etc. anyhow but had to double check) every 1 in 3 startups something would sit there using 15% CPU, usually the system process but sometimes other random Windows tasks, at random if the system was idle after 5-10 minutes the same thing would happen. Process Explorer was pointing to filesystem access and log files but nothing was making sense.

Having been monitoring Windows 11 for awhile though to make sure it wasn't happening it is annoying how much the OS does in the background periodically, when it *thinks* the system is idle - which it doesn't always get right, most of which stupid stuff like telemetry related, which stops the laptop from going into a proper low power idle state when not used or just doing light background stuff. Windows 7 is so well behaved in that respect in comparison.

Permabanned
OP

Are you sure you are completely removing it or simply turning off in taskbar settings? As it stills runs in the BG otherwise (WINKEY+W) :p

CMD for those wanting to get rid of it fully:

# Remove the installed package for each user
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Where-Object {$_.Name -like "*WebExperience*"} | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

Mhm - it’s scripted / and/or done with GPO on all of the businesses I deal with so it never comes back!

Dirty rotten dog hounds.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Annoying updating to 11 on the laptop though as it meant wrestling with that Nahimic **** that is bundled with a lot of them, which causes more sound problems than it "solves" and acts like malware constantly trying to reinstall itself. Definitely got to research and never buy a device or motherboard which uses that rubbish in the future.

EDIT: Linking to an article on it in case anyone else finds it useful https://dovidenko.com/2021/1233/nahimic-uninstalling-blocking-msi-bloatware.html

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Annoying updating to 11 on the laptop though as it meant wrestling with that Nahimic **** that is bundled with a lot of them, which causes more sound problems than it "solves" and acts like malware constantly trying to reinstall itself. Definitely got to research and never buy a device or motherboard which uses that rubbish in the future.

EDIT: Linking to an article on it in case anyone else finds it useful https://dovidenko.com/2021/1233/nahimic-uninstalling-blocking-msi-bloatware.html

That’s baaaad. I’ll never buy a MSI product again.

Man of Honour
That’s baaaad. I’ll never buy a MSI product again.

Not just MSI, a bunch of gaming laptops from several brands come with it as well as some MSI motherboards - it isn't really necessary software and in too many cases causes weird random bugs, might even be related to the problem I'm having with my gaming laptop though from what I can see I've fully removed it from the laptop. The problem is the way the software works which makes it a pain to remove, If I'd have realised sooner I'd have definitely returned the laptop over it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Not just MSI, a bunch of gaming laptops from several brands come with it as well as some MSI motherboards - it isn't really necessary software and in too many cases causes weird random bugs, might even be related to the problem I'm having with my gaming laptop though from what I can see I've fully removed it from the laptop. The problem is the way the software works which makes it a pain to remove, If I'd have realised sooner I'd have definitely returned the laptop over it.

Then I’ll make sure that the specific device doesn’t come with it.

Soldato
Anyone else having sleep issues on laptops, after the latest update.
I had thought they'd resolved this Windows 11 feature, as had been a while since I'd noticed significant battery drain overnight. Feeling my bag was warm inside, and the laptop completely dead this morning, it's back. :(

Associate
I am using Start11 at the moment but it's a little buggy (...although not as bad as the native Win11 taskbar), might try out StartAllBack instead

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Anyone else seeing a HP Printer driver update on Windows update randomly? It appeared recently, I don't have any HP printers lol. It first showed up as an optional update that I ignored, but now it's on the main page.

kZSsCfS.png

Man of Honour
Not seeing it here. Though now I've gone to check updates it has got its knickers in a twist and keeps downloading and applying KB5007651 (Version 1.0.2306.10002) :(

EDIT: Looks like there were a bunch of errors with KB5007651 in the past and they've seemingly screwed it up yet again :( typical MS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom