Midweek Football Thread. Champions League. 15-16 *spoliers*

Soldato
4-3-3 just doesnt work for us, nor did 4-5-1. I just don't understand why we dont play 4-4-2 anymore.
Because we don't have the wingers any more. The closest we have in the team any more are a converted right back (Eboue), and a "striker-in-training" (Walcott). Quite why we've shown no interest in buying actual wingers is another question, but I think the 4-3-3 DOES suit the personnel we have, it's just a matter of them getting the hang of it. As DM said, it seems they're just lacking the knowledge of how to play it properly at the moment. I'd sooner give it more time than just scrap it though. We play a 4-4-2 and we're only going to end up with Arshavin on the right, Diaby on the left, and them both cutting in.

My main problem with the 4-3-3 is why RvP is playing the middle role up front. He's not a front line striker, and to me, that place would be better filled by Eduardo or Bendtner, with RvP playing one of the sides off them.

As for Wenger??..hes a great manager but like Robbie said im fed up of his budget shoestring that he seems so fond of.
"Fond of"? You do realise we've just built a fancy new stadium we're trying to pay off, without the planned income from property redevelopment we'd been hoping for, thanks to this recession?

What is it, won 5 lost 2 so far this season? Hardly OMG DOOM time.

Soldato
BUt when we play 4-3-3 it always ends up with an isolated striker. RvP needs a partner up top and then with Nasri / Rosicky / Arshavin on the wings i think we'd play so much better. Sticking RvP, Bendtner or Eduardo in midfield is a total waste too as generaly they are more back than forward and don't have the pace to change quickly. 4-4-2 suits us fine, we just can't play anything else effectively.

Caporegime

Yes i see your point but my point is that we are falling behind Chelsea, Man Utd and even the bloody Spurs...fair enough Chelsea and Spurs have so far had an easy ride but i cant see Chelsea, Man Utd, liverpool and now even man City dropping many points tbqh.

Still a fair while to go but really Arsenal need to tighten up their act...they were shocking tonight and only managed to win by the skin of their teeth...our defence just sucks at the moment...mind u having RvP, Nasri and Arshavin all out through injury doesnt help matters much...but hopefully our fortunes will get better when they get back to full fitness.

Caporegime
OP
lol at that dive by gerrard.

Wasn't really a dive, he was just off balance and got knocked over. It's amazing how literally every time a player touches the ground it's a foul or dive...

:D "Gerrard never dives, English players are too honest to dive"

I loved how the media's collective mind works, Liverpool lost the first game of the season - "they're not going to win the league" Liverpool win the next game "they're going to win the league" Liverpool lose again, "they're not going to win the league" repeat until the end of the season. (change Liverpool, for Chelsea/Manchester United/Arsenal/Manchester City)

Caporegime
Its pretty simple, I've seen two succesful 4-3-3's realistically, in the history of football, Chelsea and they only won things using it when they had Duff and Robben, two of the fastest footballers around and were in top form at the time, with an utterly world class DM and two OFFENSIVE midfielders with the one defensive minded one.

Likewise Barcelona, two of the fastest and best players in the world in Henry and Messi on the wings, with a top draw defensive midfielder and two incredibly high quality midfield players around them.

You can not run a 4-3-3 with slow wingers, a woeful DM and a useless player going forwards or defending in Diaby, it just doesn't work.

Look at the support our fullbacks get with two "higher" winger/strikers in the 4-3-3, as in, no support whatsoever. When they do get back the lone striker is so ridiculously isolate its a joke.

THe thing is with a 4-4-2 you don't need the same pace on the wing, because your striker already has some support, its more crucial to have pace in a 4-3-3 is you have one striker in need of support as fast as possible, in a 4-4-2, supports there to start with, any extra is a bonus.

We're also crowding out Fabregas massively, he's only looked a much worse player since he came back from injury last year in a 4-4-1-1 because we pushed him up the field a lot, for no reason, out of his element. This year we've put him in a non working, over crowded midfield 3, he's still a superb player but his consistancy "appears" to not be there simply because, what he does best, he can't do in that setup.

Nothing in our squad favours a 4-3-3, crap dm's, slow wingers, strikers that will never be good as lone strikers.

If you look at the stats, through preseason and even the Everton/Pompie games, we've been creating fairly few chances, just been ultra clinical for a change, but is shows the fluidity and movement just isn't there. Like tonight, two flukey goals to get us back into the game, did we really create any real chances after Bendtners goal, did we look, with all the posession, like scoring with every attack, against a team that with 4-4-2 not long ago, we ripped to shreds 7-0?

4-3-3's better? Wenger's gone completely mental now, downhill for 5 years now and then he goes and completely loses it. A team built for 4-4-2, one of the best squads in the league, so he changes up formation and constantly starts 3 stupidly bad players.

Soldato
Its pretty simple, I've seen two succesful 4-3-3's realistically, in the history of football, Chelsea and they only won things using it when they had Duff and Robben, two of the fastest footballers around and were in top form at the time, with an utterly world class DM and two OFFENSIVE midfielders with the one defensive minded one.

Likewise Barcelona, two of the fastest and best players in the world in Henry and Messi on the wings, with a top draw defensive midfielder and two incredibly high quality midfield players around them.

You can not run a 4-3-3 with slow wingers, a woeful DM and a useless player going forwards or defending in Diaby, it just doesn't work.

Look at the support our fullbacks get with two "higher" winger/strikers in the 4-3-3, as in, no support whatsoever. When they do get back the lone striker is so ridiculously isolate its a joke.

THe thing is with a 4-4-2 you don't need the same pace on the wing, because your striker already has some support, its more crucial to have pace in a 4-3-3 is you have one striker in need of support as fast as possible, in a 4-4-2, supports there to start with, any extra is a bonus.

We're also crowding out Fabregas massively, he's only looked a much worse player since he came back from injury last year in a 4-4-1-1 because we pushed him up the field a lot, for no reason, out of his element. This year we've put him in a non working, over crowded midfield 3, he's still a superb player but his consistancy "appears" to not be there simply because, what he does best, he can't do in that setup.

Nothing in our squad favours a 4-3-3, crap dm's, slow wingers, strikers that will never be good as lone strikers.

If you look at the stats, through preseason and even the Everton/Pompie games, we've been creating fairly few chances, just been ultra clinical for a change, but is shows the fluidity and movement just isn't there. Like tonight, two flukey goals to get us back into the game, did we really create any real chances after Bendtners goal, did we look, with all the posession, like scoring with every attack, against a team that with 4-4-2 not long ago, we ripped to shreds 7-0?

4-3-3's better? Wenger's gone completely mental now, downhill for 5 years now and then he goes and completely loses it. A team built for 4-4-2, one of the best squads in the league, so he changes up formation and constantly starts 3 stupidly bad players.

Do you just copy and paste your old posts because im sure ive heard the same things over and over whether we win or lose :rolleyes:

Soldato
That 7-0 was over two managers and around 16 years ago...

I believe he can only be talking about SC Columbia which was 7-1.

Of course we were playing an amateur team so how you can compare that to any game this season I've no idea. We should be able to play 1-0-10 (rush keepers) against a team like that.

drunkenmaster how on earth can you think that was a booking for Song, yes the ball hit his arm, but unless you enforceable amputate players arms the ball will bounce up and hit them, it wasn't deliberate.

Soldato

i think 4-3-3 is the best formation for arsenal at present , we have a lot of attacking players and when injurys hit us players like diaby , denilson will fit into it better ?

would you rather us play a 4-4-2 with injurys and have diaby and denilson on the wings?

Associate
We don't have a striker for those formations though.

I'd say we have the striker(s) but not the central midfield to make them work. Or better put, to make them work, the sooner we find a replacement for Song the better. Cost the second goal against city and kept fouling yersterday.

Soldato
None of our strikers plays well on their own up top which is exactly what happens everytime we play anything other than 4-4-2. We certainly have the midfield to do it.

Soldato
Does he mean the 7-0 win against Slavia Prague in 2007?

I can't see reports of Arsenal ever having beaten Standard Liege 7-0?

[Edit] Oh I can now, that was back in the early nineties though?

Back
Top Bottom