Mind boggling facts that make you go..

Soldato
Fact - Several of the "facts" in this thread are unfounded. Maybe even this one...

Fact - The colour orange was named after the fruit

Soldato
If all the women in Liverpool were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be at all surprised.

That's an old Dorothy Parker line. The original was "If every girl at that party were laid end to end..." Another of Ms. Parker's: "I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin."

That article gave me a nosebleed. I just don't have the mindset to be able to understand quantum physics. It amazes me that scientists can study something so obtuse and yet still manage to integrate into society, if I ever suddenly began to understand the theory I fear some kind of metaphysical disassociation leaving me the world's most enlightened root vegetable.

Understanding Quantum Physics is simple. Just accept it and don't attempt reconcile it with anything you know. It's the attempting to connect it to everything else that makes you crazy.

Well okay, the maths is pretty horrifying too. But at least that doesn't drive you mad.

This the one that always gets me with open airlocks etc in space dramas.

There would be none of this hanging on with one hand while you operate the emergency close with the other. All the air would be gone in a flash.

:p

That depends very much on the size of the aperture and the size of the air pocket it is bridging. The classic example if Aliens. That ship is HUGE. It's entirely plausible that it would be blowing out through the airlock for a sustained period of time.

Welcome to a typical GD argument...

arguing-on-the-internet.jpg

Mind boggling facts that make you go..

Brexit is factually the absolute worst option the UK can do in every way - we are far better off staying in the EU by every measure and according to every expert.

...Woah!!!

(before you get upset - its a fact! lol, this is a fact thread is it not?)

giphy.gif

The RTX Titan is £2399

I weep that without looking this up I cannot be certain it isn't true.

i think that the further you get to the centre of the earth the more weightless you get, i think.

Correct. Your mass remains the same but your weight reduces. Or to be clearer, your weight begins to point in opposite directions.

Caporegime
Given a big enough piece of paper (obviously not an A4 sheet!) and an insane amount of energy to fold it then yes. It's just a physical representation of exponential growth. Despite someone saying it's a thought experiment and physically impossible it's not. Highly unlikely given current technology, etc, yes.

There's also some frankly weird numbers out there as well. TREE 3 and Graham's number to name a couple.

Graham's number is so big that there is literally not enough "stuff" in the Universe to write it out. It's commonly accepted to be 10googol=10(10100). A googolplex is a 1 followed by 100 zeros.

A personal favourite of mine are Magnetars. Basically neutron stars on steroids. A spoonful of its ''interior" would have the mass of 100 million tons. Their magnetic field are quadrillions of times stronger than that of Earth's. At a distance of 1000km from a Magnetar it would literally disrupt the electrons on a subject approaching. You would effectively 'disolve'. Or to think of it another way at a distance of halfway from Earth to the moon, a magnetar could strip information from the magnetic stripes of all credit cards on Earth. They are also thought to rotate extremely quickly, 3000 times per second.

Space scares the **** out of me!

"given a big enough piece of paper" ?

how about a piece of paper the size of the universe, then you don't even need to fold it at all...lol

That totally defeats the purpose of the whole thing, big enough piece of paper...

Permabanned
The dinosaurs were much smaller but because of the expansion of the Universe, we find huge fossils :D
In millions of years, our fossils will also be huge in size, for the same reason.

Man of Honour
Re aircraft,

It is still probably a big enough difference to matter in the everyday world. the time/gravity/altitude thing can be detected using accurate clocks. and (probably) has to be compensated for when using GPS if you need a really accurate measurement.

On a plane? I don't know. How accurate does GPS have to be on a plane? The GPS system itself requires frequent compensation for time dilation. The time dilation effect is extremely small when comparing a GPS satellite to the surface of Earth, but GPS relies on very accurate timing and would lose accuracy pretty badly without frequent compensation.

Time dilation is bizarre. It's proven in multiple ways, measurable and is precisely as predicted by the theories of relativity...but it's bizarre.

Man of Honour
How about the empty space between your ears, you just made that up didn't you ?

He probably didn't and it might be sort of true in a sense.

If you think of subatomic particles as physical objects like marbles, then virtually all of the volume of a person (or anything else with the same density) is empty. Generally speaking, there's a vast distance between the nucleus and the electrons in an atom and a vast distance between atoms (compared with the size of a subatomic particle). If you just had the particles jammed together touching each other and packed as tightly as possible, then yeah, maybe all the particles from every human who ever lived would be as small as a sugar cube. I don't know off the top of my head, but it would certainly be tiny.

Days of the week are derived from norse/viking gods. Thursday= thors day.

In English, they're a mix of Norse, Teutonic, Roman and astronomical:

Sun's Day
Moon's Day
Tiw's Day
Woden's Day
Thor's Day
Frig's Day
Saturn's Day

The original naming was all Roman, since the idea of a week of 7 days is Roman. You can still see this to a larger extent in Romance languages, e.g. in French Tuesday to Friday retain the names of the Roman gods (Mars, Mercury, Juno and Venus).

EDIT: I might be wrong about the mix of Norse and Teutonic. I can never remember which is which. Tiw, Woden, Thor and Frig might all be from one or the other.

And some more stuff added on...not mind-boggling but I think an interesting example of the mixture of superstition and practicality of ancient Roman culture:

There was a superstition that if a married woman tripped entering her marital home for the first time after getting married, it would bring bad luck for some unknown reason. Rather than just saying "that's a silly superstition and we don't even know why it exists, let's just forget about it", the solution to the "problem" was for someone to carry her.

I haven't checked that so don't take my word for it, but I think it's plausible. Superstition and practicality went hand in hand in ancient Rome in many ways.

Last edited:
Permabanned
this one is mind boggling.
If you could take all the empty space out of a human being, every human who has ever lived could fit in something the size of a sugar cube.

When will light be able to travel through these empty spaces and why doesn't light go through these empty spaces making objects transparent?

Soldato
why doesn't light go through these empty spaces making objects transparent?

That is actually a good question.

The empty spaces are filled with incredibly powerful and complex electric fields.

Sometimes light can pass through them (EG Glass) sometimes it cant (Steel)

But you have to remember that there is no such thing as light. It is just EM radiation. some configurations of electric field will allow certain wavebands of EM radiation to pass unhindered, some wont

I am sure that somebody will come along with a better explanation. But this is really no different as to why microwaves can pass through (non-transparent) plastic but are blocked by (Transparent) Water

Soldato
That is actually a good question.

The empty spaces are filled with incredibly powerful and complex electric fields.

Sometimes light can pass through them (EG Glass) sometimes it cant (Steel)

But you have to remember that there is no such thing as light. It is just EM radiation. some configurations of electric field will allow certain wavebands of EM radiation to pass unhindered, some wont

I am sure that somebody will come along with a better explanation. But this is really no different as to why microwaves can pass through (non-transparent) plastic but are blocked by (Transparent) Water

its all about the electrons - metals have a huge delocalised layer of electrons and so they absorb a very broad range of em radiation (but not all as you said, especially the higher energy waves).

edit - actually i've realised i haven't mentioned scattering and ordered scattering (reflection) - the huge electric field changes when hitting a metal causes some em radiation to be physically bounced off, hence metals being reflective (to visible em radiation in particular but also other wavelengths). Its a bit complicated.

edit2 - actually a more accurate description would be that the electron band in the metal absorbs the photon (so it is effectively destroyed), but because the electrons have no electronic transition that can dissipate the energy it is forced to create another photon and spit it back out at the angle of incidence. Because no transition has occurred the emitted photon is of the same wavelength. Maybe a physicist can explain it better - organic molecules and their absorption is more my area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom