Minecraft 1.15.2 Vanilla Server now up and running!!

Associate
Brilliant, working now. Trying to teach my 5 year old son how to play MC. He wants me to go exploring for zombies, so we are mostly spelunking around, looking for caverns and spawns. I need to finish my 2nd clifftop home at some point. I have it linked by mono rail. Hoping to go for the James Bond Megalomaniac Lair theme.. Problem is that I'm back in work tomorrow. :(

Soldato
OP
Just a head's up. The Iron Farm is now fully public. There's so much iron. Any taken gets replenished automatically 24/7 and once the system is full it's just voiding the excess, so feel free to grab iron if you need it. It's at spawn, next to the spawn shack!

I'm going to spend a couple of days improving the Nether Network - widening the tunnels and putting in a nicer wall than netherrack. I don't really use the lower network, I prefer to go above the bedrock ceiling and fly to the locations, but realise new players won't have the luxury of elytras. It's been something I've been meaning to do and well, I've certainly got plenty of time at the moment lol!

I want the network tunnels to be 3x3 with the rail running through the middle, so I'm carving out a 5x5 (less the corners) in preparation. I haven't decided what walls to put in yet - open to ideas. I also want to put in some sort of station system, but haven't decided how I want to do that yet either. It would be nice to have a system where you select your destination and you'd take the express way there, but that's not easily feasible. The other option is where the rail cart stops at each station and you either get out, or press a button to move to the next station. Open to ideas about how to do that as well.

Anyhoozle - feel free to jump on - cheers - Ham

Soldato
OP
OK - so the main tunnel going from the End out near me, past my place, past spawn, past Sylvet's rail and on to the Guardian farm has been carved out in a 5x5 area ready for the floor and walls. It was only about 13,000 blocks or so, about 205 stacks, or just under 4 double chests of netherrack lol! The total length about 1,100 blocks or so.

Sylvet suggested maybe using Prismarine blocks as these aren't often used and there is a load at the Guardian Farm. I was thinking about a "Station" at the Nether spawn area with a track heading East and West with waypoints along it stopping at every POI, but Sylvet showed me a very nice selectable design where you set your destination and the rail will take you directly there.

Stopping points so far:

Heading West from spawn:
Judo's portal (Very close to the spawn hub)
Haaammit's Place/Gold Farm/Passive Blaze Farm
Guardian Farm WIP
Witch Farm
West Stronghold/End Portal

Heading East:
Witch Farm WIP
Generic Mob Farm (Close to spawn hub)
Lewis_Raz's place (Entrance Close to spawn hub with own rail, his portal is a ways off)
Wither Farm
Ink Farm
Sylvet's Place/Eastern Stronghold/End Portal
Guardian Farm

The Waypoint idea would have a system where the minecart stops and you manually decide whether to exit the cart or continue by pressing a button/lever. Pic below - the lever controls which way you go, the buttons activate the rail. Below was a WIP the final design has, amongst other changes/tweaks the lever set the other way round so it points in the direction of travel.

Let me know your thoughts!

27Wvupm.png

Last edited:
Associate
OK - so the main tunnel going from the End out near me, past my place, past spawn, past Sylvet's rail and on to the Guardian farm has been carved out in a 5x5 area ready for the floor and walls. It was only about 13,000 blocks or so, about 205 stacks, or just under 4 double chests of netherrack lol! The total length about 1,100 blocks or so.

Sylvet suggested maybe using Prismarine blocks as these aren't often used and there is a load at the Guardian Farm. I was thinking about a "Station" at the Nether spawn area with a track heading East and West with waypoints along it stopping at every POI, but Sylvet showed me a very nice selectable design where you set your destination and the rail will take you directly there.

Stopping points so far:

<snip>..

The Waypoint idea would have a system where the minecart stops and you manually decide whether to exit the cart or continue by pressing a button/lever. Pic below - the lever controls which way you go, the buttons activate the rail. Below was a WIP the final design has, amongst other changes/tweaks the lever set the other way round so it points in the direction of travel.

Let me know your thoughts!

I've played with some tunnel designs down at the intersection of my place and guardian farm. Let me know what you think, I tried a single block between lines and without for a more compact look. For the tunnel with the middle block this would be covered in green carpet to prevent pigmen spawn.

I was thinking of a central station where you select a destination and it puts you onto a line direct to that destination without stops, you've seen the design I was looking at. At each destination you would also have a separate return line which converges with all the other destination return lines ending in a single point back at the central station, that way all roads lead out and return to the central station (star distribution). To get between locations you would use the return line to go to central station and from there select a destination. This way there is never any collision on the network. Stops that are relatively close and are often travelled between can have a separate dedicated branch line outside of the central network.

The only issue I see with the your distributed design above is depending on the no. of stops on the route you would need a lot of interaction to get to certain destinations further along the route. Let me know your thoughts and ideas :)

Soldato
OP
I've played with some tunnel designs down at the intersection of my place and guardian farm. Let me know what you think, I tried a single block between lines and without for a more compact look. For the tunnel with the middle block this would be covered in green carpet to prevent pigmen spawn.

I was thinking of a central station where you select a destination and it puts you onto a line direct to that destination without stops, you've seen the design I was looking at. At each destination you would also have a separate return line which converges with all the other destination return lines ending in a single point back at the central station, that way all roads lead out and return to the central station (star distribution). To get between locations you would use the return line to go to central station and from there select a destination. This way there is never any collision on the network. Stops that are relatively close and are often travelled between can have a separate dedicated branch line outside of the central network.

The only issue I see with the your distributed design above is depending on the no. of stops on the route you would need a lot of interaction to get to certain destinations further along the route. Let me know your thoughts and ideas :)

I'll have a look when I jump on later. I'm happy for the direct option with a universal return rail but that would need a fair amount of planning and infrastructure, although time is plentiful at the moment lol! I'd be correct in saying you're suggesting a tunnel with two rails - one to and one back from the destination? My only real concern with this system is if a player wants to get to a farm/location that's on their "half" of the nether (you to the guardian farm for example) you'd have to travel to the Nether Hub before travelling back to the farm. We'd certainly need to do a fair amount of clearing out at the Nether Spawn area, although be careful, I'm fairly sure it's close to the top of the Nether caves!

What could be fun is having different tunnel designs depending on destination. Let me get my Voxel Map up and show the potential destinations etc and we'll take it from there.

Soldato
OP
Here's a couple of screenies of my waypoints. The farms are all marked, other places are specific biomes or places for specific materials. The furthers away farms are the guardian farms and the wither farm.Wither Farm is ~1200 blocks south of spawn. Purple Guardian Farm is ~660 blocks.

The places nearish spawn:

jichu2e.jpg

Then the further out places:

CkuY7wY.png

Soldato
OP
Hmm, if I join you lot won't be a bunch of thieves and griefers will ya? Thats why I stopped playing it online. :p

There's no griefing here - also there is a plugin called Grief Protection that prevents players opening chests/breaking blocks etc in your claim unless you invite them. You start with a small amount of claimable blocks which increases with gameplay. There's also Core Protect so if you forgot to claim your build and got griefed it can easily be rolled back/restored :)

Back
Top Bottom