Mini-Review: Samsung 40KU6400 as a monitor

Soldato
is this worth it over the Hisense M3300 as that is back down to £330? The hisense is direct lit over the samsungs edge lit, however it doesnt have bluetooth which the samsung does (i have bluetooth headphones).

Hisense should have PQ edge over the Samsung, but depends how much you require the bluetooth and if that's a major drawback. Hisense make good TV's, and for £330 you get a lot of TV for your money.

I'm torn between this Samsung and the Hisense M3000/M3300 at the moment. There's about ~£100 difference in price, but there's quite a bit of feedback too suggest the Hisense is really decent. What panels to the Hisense use?

Soldato
The Samsung is VA also. The Hisense is a very good set by all accounts, and as mentioned the direct LED over the edge LED on the Samsung does give it an advantage.

VA is never really an issue for PC monitor use given the typical front-on viewing position. TN is actually far worse in that regard, even on a smaller screen you can see the gamma shift, but VA isn't that bad. 40" is big though... needs to be a bit further away than you'd have a 27" for sure. I tried it myself a year ago with the Philips model and found it too big for my set-up.

Soldato
The Samsung is VA also. The Hisense is a very good set by all accounts, and as mentioned the direct LED over the edge LED on the Samsung does give it an advantage.

VA is never really an issue for PC monitor use given the typical front-on viewing position. TN is actually far worse in that regard, even on a smaller screen you can see the gamma shift, but VA isn't that bad. 40" is big though... needs to be a bit further away than you'd have a 27" for sure. I tried it myself a year ago with the Philips model and found it too big for my set-up.

For me it will be a secondary display, used for media content as well as well as mixed use so size isn't really an issue as long as its around 40"

Associate
This thread convinced me to purchase KU6400, thank you guys for all the input.

The only problem I found is that after connecting it to my PC I got small artifacts on the screen - pixels flashing white from time to time on random - looks like static, kid you not :D. Never seen that on HDMI, as its digital. Ordered a new HDMI 2.0 cable, will see if it helps. Obviously the problem does not appear while streaming directly via say Prime app or Netflix.

One last thing - if not too much of a problem, can one of you post a pic of the manual how to correctly assemble the stand - my instructions are missing and the way I did it made the screen very wobbly. Thank you :)

Associate
Where are people buying these? Looks to be discontinued. Also someone mentioned the m3300 above, equally hard to buy.

I just want to do some console gaming on a 4k screen and be ready for Scorpio.

Any recommendations?

Soldato
Does anyone else have issues with it not selecting/allowing gaming mode when firing up a game? Mine doesn't do it every time and means that in game vsync locks to 30fps instead of 60 which is really annoying as I have the horsepower to play at 60fps but my 1080ti is barely ticking over at 30fps.

Soldato
Well I decided to bite the bullet and order the Hisense M3300. £329 is a bargain for what you get.
It's brilliant. No backlight bleed, banding, clouding or anything like that. The blacks are black and the colours are nice and vibrant.

Associate
i picked up a 49KS7500 and its awesome.
however i cant get it to run at 4K at 60htz.

i have a alienwear r15 with a gtx 1070 so clearly have the horsepower. when i plug my laptop in the laptop display properties pick the TV up as a 4k 30htz display. when i try to select 60htz or even 59 htz the colours and display are really messed up.

Soldato
Well I decided to bite the bullet and order the Hisense M3300. £329 is a bargain for what you get.
It's brilliant. No backlight bleed, banding, clouding or anything like that. The blacks are black and the colours are nice and vibrant.

I'm thinking of getting the same. It really does look like a heck of a bargain! Any input lag? How about text is it crystal clear?

Soldato

i have a alienwear r15 with a gtx 1070 so clearly have the horsepower. when i plug my laptop in the laptop display properties pick the TV up as a 4k 30htz display. when i try to select 60htz or even 59 htz the colours and display are really messed up.

There have been a few comments in this thread about achieving 60Hz @ 4k. I assume you are using HDMI, not a DP>HDMI adapter or something? You should check you have a good quality HDMI cable that's labelled as "high speed".

Associate

Have you enabled HDMI UHD colour on the input and set it to PC?

Associate
Big thanks to OP for this thread. Bought a 40" KU7000 a few days ago and love it. I believe its same panel as KU6400, just different smart TV features. Have always wanted to move up from 27" 1440p as I believe screen size is major factor in gaming/movies immersion. Some personal observations:

- for desktop usage, the height of the display is a bit much. I have to look up (move my head) to focus on browser toolbars, upper elements, etc. The stand exacerbates this, so removed it and wall mounted the display to where its suspended about 2cm above desktop. That significantly reduces its height, as well as moving it further back. Also created a 21:9 custom res (3840x1620) which further lowers height of viewing area.

- used a colorimeter (ColorMunki Display) to calibrate it and measure results, but without creating a color profile (just using the TVs controls). Out of the box color temp was over 10000k. Got it down to 6500k, 148 cd/m2, gamma 2.2, 4000:1, contrast after calibration. But seemingly drastic adjustments in white balance to achieve that. My adjustments:

picture mode: standard
backlight: 12
brightness: 37
contrast: 100
sharpness: 20
HDMI black level: normal
color tone: warm 2
white balance (2 point):
- R offset: 4 R gain: 6
- G offset: 2 G gain: 3
- B offset: -5 B gain -7

Of course each panel is different, so anyone following anothers settings would be a hit and miss affair.

- A question if anyone can advise re LCD image retention/burn-in, since Samsung says this in their manual: "Avoid keeping a static picture or a picture with static elements (black bars, black borders, logos, etc.) on your LED TV for more than two hours at a time. Make sure you change the image on your screen periodically." Well, since I prefer the 21:9 res, the resulting upper/lower black bars for extended periods has me wondering. Would have thought this was basically a non-issue with modern LCDs, so why do they have this warning? Is it just a left-over warning from years past or should I switch to full native res mode every other day or so?

Back
Top Bottom