Mini-Review: Samsung 40KU6400 as a monitor

Associate
Re image retention concern I had re black bars with 21:9, RTings tested out many TVs to find out:

Conclusion:
Not all TVs suffer from image retention. Here is the information about the different type of TVs:

• IPS TVs: IPS TVs are the most common type of TV that suffer from image retention. Not all IPS TVs have the same degree of image retention though. See our table above for comparisons.
  • VA TVs: VA TVs are practically all free of image retention.
  • OLED TVs: OLED TVs are another type of TV that suffer from temporary image retention, and in some rare cases the image retention can be permanent. OLED image retention does not look the same as that seen on IPS TVs since the display technology is not the same. Unlike IPS TVs, OLED TVs come with a special function in the TV operating system especially aimed at getting rid of more durable image retention.
In any case, whatever the type of TV, image retention is usually not a permanent problem but more a temporary annoyance.

So, lucky us VA owners :D.

Associate
Thanks for this thread, looking at going down this route for getting a 4k display working without spending ££££s on the monitors on offer at the moment. I currently run 2 Dell 2408 monitors so would replace one of the monitors with this TV and use the other one in portrait mode alongside the TV.

Just for a laugh I took my downstairs LG 49" 4K TV and put it in my office room, it was able to do 4K but 49" was just too large, so 40" I suspect is the way to go.

Associate
I am joining the TV based members - I went with the 2017 model - cables arrive tomorrow (active adaptor needed as I run AMD card)
WH7qL4F.jpg)
WH7qL4F.jpg

Caporegime
The MU6400 looks fantastic (HDR10 and HLG) and I see the 49" is already down to £600! V v nice :cool:

(I'll be needing a 65" soon after I've done a living room remodeling :D)

Soldato
Nice, any difference to the KU?

The MU6400 and KU6400 are virtually identical save for slightly better colour depth on the new model, as it features FRC (frame rate control) which the KU doesn't. I don't think that's necessarily worth the £150 price difference I'm seeing between these two models. If possible, I'd want to see both side by side before making a decision.

Caporegime
The MU6400 and KU6400 are virtually identical save for slightly better colour depth on the new model, as it features FRC (frame rate control) which the KU doesn't. I don't think that's necessarily worth the £150 price difference I'm seeing between these two models. If possible, I'd want to see both side by side before making a decision.

I've seen the 40" at £463 and the 49" at £599 which seems pretty good to me?? The 65" is still about £1400 though, I'd prefer it to hit £1200ish with a 5yr warranty before biting...

Soldato
Would like to see a M3300 vs ku/mu6400 comparison myself.
The m3300 is currently only 300 at a popular high street retailer vs the ku/mu6400 at 450ish.

Im stuck between deciding on them at the moment. Logic is pushing my towards the (likely) higher quality Samsung though.

Soldato
Would like to see a M3300 vs ku/mu6400 comparison myself.
The m3300 is currently only 300 at a popular high street retailer vs the ku/mu6400 at 450ish.

Im stuck between deciding on them at the moment. Logic is pushing my towards the (likely) higher quality Samsung though.

M3000/3300 is end of life now, it's about to be replaced with the N5700 (~£500)

Associate
The MU6400 is lovely still awaiting my active adapter as I was sent the mini displayport instead so it's only 30Hz atm. But the colours are excellent the blacks very nice. I used the settings from a recent YouTube video which have worked well.
eToUS87.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
The MU6400 is lovely still awaiting my active adapter as I was sent the mini displayport instead so it's only 30Hz atm. But the colours are excellent the blacks very nice. I used the settings from a recent YouTube video which have worked well.
lFuEiWE
A review @ Rting.com for MU6300, which should use identical panel to MU6400: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6300

Improved input lag. Only follows logic things would improve every year. May keep mine another year or 2 and upgrade to the next model. These TVs as displays pleasantly narrows ones choices down as well as being better value than regular monitors that are smaller in size/res.

Soldato
The Hisense M3300 is fantastic, and considering it's £300 it's a bargain. I love mine so much, that I bought a second one for the bedroom.

The clarity is perfect, as are the colours and blacks. No bleed or cloudyness either.

It puts the display on my dell xps laptop to shame that's for sure

2ykkv4n.jpg

Soldato
I think if someone needs or wants a 40" 4K screen, a TV makes perfect sense given the dedicated monitor options are thin on the ground and far more expensive (unjustifiably so). Hisense are very solid... I've seen quite a few of their sets and know people who own them and the picture always impresses. They're excellent value.

Associate
I used the settings from a recent YouTube video which have worked well./QUOTE]
Which video did you use. I have a brand new MU6400 for productivity and gaming.
I have to say so far I'm disappointed - on the desktop it's either very harsh or washed out. Not a patch on a decent monitor.
I've tried a few settings configs that I found on the internet. No joy so far.

Back
Top Bottom