Minimalism

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So I've been watching quite a lot of Matt D'Avella videos on YouTube and he talks quite a bit about minimalism. Over the years I have found myself being quite minimalist in my life but still strive to be better. Do we have any OcUK members who this resonates with?

Have a watch of this video.

*note there are a few swear words*

A few things I currently do:

- I'm always reducing the things I own.
- I'm quick to throw things out (recycle + charity).
- I prefer a clean and clutter free living space (see my desk below for example)
- I'm constantly looking to make things more efficient and work better for me to give me back more time.
- I am reassessing what makes me happy and what I want out of life and removing things that don't support this.

My desk:
desk_setup_june18.jpg

I'm considering going for a more minimalist wardrobe too ala Matt D'Avella:

Soldato
Over the past 6 months I've sold, given away or thrown out almost everything I own. I've still got a little way to go but it's nice not having clutter and crap around the house. The only thing I really have to keep is a moderate quantity of books (reading and sheet music) :)

I'm planning to move as well so it has the benefit of being able to fit all my belongings in a reasonably sized van.

I am gradually feeling less and less inclined to buy "stuff" now. If I want something I sleep on it for a few nights then 95% of the time decide not to buy it.

feelsgoodman.jpg

PS: Where did you get that desk from?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've also found myself increasingly getting rid of things and living with fewer items. Before buying anything new I now always ask myself "Do I need this, do I really want it, what can I get rid of if I do buy it?" I've got rid of most of my physical media and stream everything now. I've stopped buying so many clothes (a few years ago I spent loads on them and don't wear many of them). I have a fairly large house and have expanded into it. But I now want to stop that trend and reverse it.

Man of Honour
I like minimalism but at the same time like a small amount of ordered chaos. Like if my side unit has a stack of books on it instead of being completely empty on top and "minimal", it gives the feeling of work in progress, that a task is being done, so gives a better sense of productiveness. I can then read a book during moments of downtime rather than walk all the way to the bookshelf to grab one.

Everything is a balance, like those ying-yang adverts.

Soldato
I’m lucky (or unlucky) enough that I’ve got hobbies (music and lil bit of gaming) that I don’t really need to buy anything for and will happily pour all my time in to...ie there’s not enough time!
I also hate clothes shopping so tend to keep clothes for a long time until I really need new ones.
I’ve lived in my flat for over 2 years now and never had the urge to put pictures on the wall/extra furniture etc
I value floor space, always try to have things arranged to make the room seem bigger.
Maybe if I was loaded that’d be different...but I’m not so who knows!

Associate
I really enjoy Matt D'Avella's videos and use some of the minimalist practices but its nearly impossible to live clutter free with two young kids in the house haha.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Wish I had the discipline to get my office looking anywhere close to this. Maybe it needs to be my goal for the New Year.

My office is my head space, a messy and cluttered space would negatively impact my mood. The rest of my home is a constant battle to keep it presentable, time is quite limited and I have a 3 year old. My wife does what she can but again time is limited. I think one of the benefits of having a simple, clutter free living space is the amount of things you potentially have to tidy away.

Soldato
I moved back to the UK around 18 months ago from living abroad, I came back with only a suitcase and some golf clubs. Since then I've managed to acquire...stuff. I don't particularly enjoy the fact that I have so much and it was unorganised, so yesterday I bought a small set of drawers to get things off surfaces, shelves etc. I actually ended up buying a smaller set, as I'm aware that I'll expand into that space. I reorganised and de-cluttered at the same time. Feels good - I hate the thought of having things in boxes that I'll likely never use. Whilst not entirely minimal, I don't see the point in having surplus "stuff" for the sake of it.

Soldato
For the last 8 years or so up until October '17 I could move house fitting all my belongings except for bikes in 1 car load. Having now bought my own place it's a little different in that I've had to fill it with furniture to make it liveable, but other than the essentials I have very little clutter. After finishing the renovation I haven't felt the need to go out and buy things just so I have "stuff" around the house. I did buy a bookcase with the intention of filling it with a nice collection but then thought why bother? Less likely to read as I may not have the book with me, pain in the arse to move to the next house and a waste of money as e-books are cheaper. So I bought a Kindle instead.

Wardrobe is an interesting one. I pretty much wear a white shirt and trousers every day for work as I had to buy some new ones when I'd shrunk too much from no lifting so just bought a pack of 5. I can't remember the last time I actually bought casual clothes, excluding for outdoor hobbies. At least for the last 5 years I've relied on the odd thing received for christmas/birthday presents.

CGP Grey spoke about this on one of his podcasts, looking for the ideal black t-shirt so he could just a wardrobe full of them to last a lifetime. I don't see a problem with it. I don't intend to go out and spend money just to minimise my wardrobe though, that seems like it would defeat the point. But I've got enough tshirts etc to last me for years and years.

My work office unfortunately is impossible to keep minimalist. I try and keep files away in cabinets (my company has decided not to embrace paperless yet for some stupid reason) and I can end up with a stack of 20 files on my desk by the end of the day and paper everywhere. It sucks.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Im currently undergoing a bit of a life crisis, and was thinking of selling one of the houses and quitting work, and travelling in a van for a few years.

Anyone done this? It sort of feed into the minimalist thing, as these Vanlyfers have zero room for things which are not totally essential! Also their custom builds make amazing use of space.

Soldato
Im currently undergoing a bit of a life crisis, and was thinking of selling one of the houses and quitting work, and travelling in a van for a few years.

Anyone done this? It sort of feed into the minimalist thing, as these Vanlyfers have zero room for things which are not totally essential! Also their custom builds make amazing use of space.

Sounds a bit extreme to me. Maybe just downsize and move to a totally different area? That's my plan.

Soldato

Have you always wanted to travel in a van?

There's actually a baseball player who lives in a van on the off-season - despite being a millionaire. Goes to show that all the money in the world doesn't mean you have to have stuff.

Permabanned
Have you always wanted to travel in a van?

There's actually a baseball player who lives in a van on the off-season - despite being a millionaire. Goes to show that all the money in the world doesn't mean you have to have stuff.

No, I just dont know what to do. Im not happy, and have a lot of choices about where to go and what to do, and literally cannot make up my mind. Another degree, go travelling, go mental, move to Canada, Germany, Australia, change career, god knows.

Ive an old-ish modern car which I use for crazy trips around Europe etc. Love to travel, but I do not fly.

Back
Top Bottom