MinisForum MS-01 - Owners Thread

Associate
Ok so I think if I get 1 x16gb for now as that's available then can always add another 16gb of the same type later on if needed. How much perfotm is lost do you think running one module rather than 2 . Thanks

Associate
OP
Ok so I think if I get 1 x16gb for now as that's available then can always add another 16gb of the same type later on if needed. How much perfotm is lost do you think running one module rather than 2 . Thanks
Not enough performance to worry about, the only difference is that you will be running in single rank rather than dual rank.

I'll be honest, I'm not massively aware of the full technical implications but in benchmarks dual rank often has better performance however as someone who has used dual and single rank DDR5 setups the difference certainly wasn't noticeable by me :)

Associate
Not enough performance to worry about, the only difference is that you will be running in single rank rather than dual rank.

I'll be honest, I'm not massively aware of the full technical implications but in benchmarks dual rank often has better performance however as someone who has used dual and single rank DDR5 setups the difference certainly wasn't noticeable by me :)
Out of interest did you get hit with import tax etc? Just had a bill of fedex

Associate
OP
Trust my luck. Nope. Direct from the miniforum UK site. £101 bill
Good grief!!

I'd be getting in touch with their support team as that is insane, also it goes against their shipping policy which advises shipping tax, customs duty and VAT are all included in their price.

If you've been charged it sounds like FedEx or Minisforum have messed up the paper work, either way I wouldn't pay it until they sort it

Associate
Good grief!!

I'd be getting in touch with their support team as that is insane, also it goes against their shipping policy which advises shipping tax, customs duty and VAT are all included in their price.

If you've been charged it sounds like FedEx or Minisforum have messed up the paper work, either way I wouldn't pay it until they sort it
I finally made contact with miniforum, they have agreed to refund the customs cost. My unit arrived today so starting to have a look round. It really is tiny... one question if you don't mind. There are 2 small black elastic bands separately packed.. any idea what these are for?

Thanks

Associate
OP
I finally made contact with miniforum, they have agreed to refund the customs cost. My unit arrived today so starting to have a look round. It really is tiny... one question if you don't mind. There are 2 small black elastic bands separately packed.. any idea what these are for?

Thanks
Glad to hear that the customs issue has been sorted!

I will be honest, mine had the black bands as well and I do not know what they are for, potentially cable management however there isn't anywhere logical they would end up inside the unit so I wouldn't worry too much about them :)

Associate
Glad to hear that the customs issue has been sorted!

I will be honest, mine had the black bands as well and I do not know what they are for, potentially cable management however there isn't anywhere logical they would end up inside the unit so I wouldn't worry too much about them :)
So sorry just one final question for now.... is it OK to use the heatsink and the nvme fan unit or is it a case of one or the other ?

Associate
No worries and generally I have just used the NVME fan unit without the heatsink as the drives I'm using don't really need a heatsink but it should fit from what I have seen so far :)
Seems to be going well. Have one nvme with my ubuntu build and another with my pfsense build. Core temps between 27 at the lowest and the highest seen is 34. Hopefully that's all OK? My 10gtek sfp to rj45 adapters worked 1st time which is great.

Associate
OP
Seems to be going well. Have one nvme with my ubuntu build and another with my pfsense build. Core temps between 27 at the lowest and the highest seen is 34. Hopefully that's all OK? My 10gtek sfp to rj45 adapters worked 1st time which is great.
Those temps are great!

I'd keep an eye on the SFP to RJ45 adapters however as they get quite hot and can pull a decent chunk of power from the unit. I've put a 120 fan in front of my units due to adding in an additional X710-DA2 cards so I'd deffo recommend some auxiliary cooling if you are running 10G copper :)

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm only using one sfp to rj45 at the mo. It's fairly warm but I can still grasp it without burning my fingers lol... when you say you have added a fan in front of your units a picture would be helpful to understand how that looks ..

Associate
OP
Cheers. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm only using one sfp to rj45 at the mo. It's fairly warm but I can still grasp it without burning my fingers lol... when you say you have added a fan in front of your units a picture would be helpful to understand how that looks ..
I'll grab a picture later today but it's not super elegant, I just stacked my MS-01s on top of eachother and plonked a fan infront of them with a USB adapter to power it. It's simple but it works :)

Associate
OP
I'll grab a picture later today but it's not super elegant, I just stacked my MS-01s on top of eachother and plonked a fan infront of them with a USB adapter to power it. It's simple but it works :)
Well, better late than never but here is the "It ain't pretty but it works" approach to cooling my MS-01 cluster
xoIxOusm.jpg

With this fashioned setup, each NUC having both SFP ports populated and an additional X710-DA2 installed with both SFPs populated and running 12 VMs it doesn't go above 55c

I don't think it's "required" as it wasn't getting dangerously hot or unpleasent to touch but it makes me feel better that there is some passive air-flow over the PCI-e cards :)

(Ignore the dust on the fan filter, I vaccuum it once a week and it seems to pull in every molecule that has passed through the room :D)

Last edited:
Associate
Looking good. Thanks for the pic. I notice my sfp to rj45 module is now super hot.... I'm contemplating fitting a fan to the top cover (modding that too) and trying a pci dual 10gb rj45 card instead as my isp hand over is 10gb rj45 and my lan is 10gb rj45. The card has a large heatsink but I assume I would want the fan to extract away from the card?

Still no duty refund yet after the comms advising it would be refunded....

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looking good. Thanks for the pic. I notice my sfp to rj45 module is now super hot.... I'm contemplating fitting a fan to the top cover (modding that too) and trying a pci dual 10gb rj45 card instead as my isp hand over is 10gb rj45 and my lan is 10gb rj45. The card has a large heatsink but I assume I would want the fan to extract away from the card?

Still no duty refund yet after the comms advising it would be refunded....
You can either go down the route of having the fan blow onto the card or having it pull away, either should work but I prefer it blowing directly onto the card :)

The RJ45 10G card will likely get as hot but as you mentioned, with a fan the heatsink should dispell the heat significantly better. Its one of the drawbacks of 10G copper is it does get frustratingly hot.

Another option could be going down the fibre route and getting a media converter to sit between the MS-01 and the ISP modem, that's what I'll be doing when we get our 1G+ ISP installed (and when I get a new router)

Back
Top Bottom