MinisForum MS-01 - Owners Thread

Associate
You can either go down the route of having the fan blow onto the card or having it pull away,
Another option could be going down the fibre route and getting a media converter to sit between the MS-01 and the ISP modem, that's what I'll be doing when we get our 1G+ ISP installed (and when I get a new router)

Hi. That's not a bad shout, thought I would investigate before hacking up the top cover. Uk ones seem mighty expensive yet ones on AE are about £70 for something that looks reasonable with a marvell chip. I am a bit clueless on the cables between the converter and the x710 port on the ms01. Any suggestions welcome. Would I need dac to dac??

Thanks

Associate
OP
Hi. That's not a bad shout, thought I would investigate before hacking up the top cover. Uk ones seem mighty expensive yet ones on AE are about £70 for something that looks reasonable with a marvell chip. I am a bit clueless on the cables between the converter and the x710 port on the ms01. Any suggestions welcome. Would I need dac to dac??

Thanks
Generally speaking providing the media converter says it supports SFP+ and its not something like HP or Cisco you can use DACs from most brands

There are manufacturers out there that also code the DACs for specific modules e.g. Cisco or HP if needed. Theres loads on certain online marketplaces :)

If you want to use fibre you can get SFP modules for that as well but the X710 can be a bit finnicky depending on the model of X710 :)

Last edited:
Associate
Generally speaking providing the media converter says it supports SFP+ and its not something like HP or Cisco you can use DACs from most brands

There are manufacturers out there that also code the DACs for specific modules e.g. Cisco or HP if needed. Theres loads on certain online marketplaces :)

If you want to use fibre you can get SFP modules for that as well but the X710 can be a bit finnicky depending on the model of X710 :)
Thanks.
I was thinking this and this??

Associate
OP
I suppose the only stumbling block could be a suitable psu for the converter. I've asked if they can help with that
Yeah, the converter would be the biggest query, especially ensuring that it doesn't run super hot either.

For that price though its probably worth a shot as if its not right just refund it and buy one from a UK seller or a different model :)

Associate
Yer tis lol...
Had some free time this afternoon so thought why not have a go...
10gtek dual 10gb rj45 nic fitted, had to cut off some of the half size bracket but no other fitting issues. Manufacture said fan not required but I've done it anyway given the compact build. Used my dremmel with some cutting discs to mod the cover. Had plenty of small nuts and bolts from RC modelling days so they came in handy.
£9, 3 x speed fan from amazon running off a usb port using 1.5w on maximum speed.. I have found the low setting seems fine at the moment extracting from the card so will see how that goes. My watt meter says the ms01 is using between 25 and 30w depending on what it's doing on the test bench including the fan on low. I'll be swapping it with my n100 mini pfsensev live firewall tomorrow hopefully. Good box but no 10gb interfaces so the ms01 will fully integrate with my 10gb lan &wan now...
Some pics. I'm no dremmel king so excuse any roughness haha :)
My friend printed my this free plan vertical stand I found. Looks good I think.

Thanks for your help and advice along the way. I'm sure I'll be back with questions in time haha..

Just need to get minisforum to refund the duty which is proving difficult even after they said they would....

Associate
OP
Yer tis lol...
Had some free time this afternoon so thought why not have a go...
10gtek dual 10gb rj45 nic fitted, had to cut off some of the half size bracket but no other fitting issues. Manufacture said fan not required but I've done it anyway given the compact build. Used my dremmel with some cutting discs to mod the cover. Had plenty of small nuts and bolts from RC modelling days so they came in handy.
£9, 3 x speed fan from amazon running off a usb port using 1.5w on maximum speed.. I have found the low setting seems fine at the moment extracting from the card so will see how that goes. My watt meter says the ms01 is using between 25 and 30w depending on what it's doing on the test bench including the fan on low. I'll be swapping it with my n100 mini pfsensev live firewall tomorrow hopefully. Good box but no 10gb interfaces so the ms01 will fully integrate with my 10gb lan &wan now...
Some pics. I'm no dremmel king so excuse any roughness haha :)
My friend printed my this free plan vertical stand I found. Looks good I think.

Thanks for your help and advice along the way. I'm sure I'll be back with questions in time haha..

Just need to get minisforum to refund the duty which is proving difficult even after they said they would....
Cracking work, that looks like a pretty clean mod!!

No worries on the questions, any help I can give I'm happy to, likewise keep us updated on the unit and its temps as it may end up being a fairly popular modification if it stays cool, especially with RJ45 10G installed as well :)

Associate
Cracking work, that looks like a pretty clean mod!!

No worries on the questions, any help I can give I'm happy to, likewise keep us updated on the unit and its temps as it may end up being a fairly popular modification if it stays cool, especially with RJ45 10G installed as well :)
Thanks. I just wish I knew how I could check the temps if even possible under pfsense. Under unbuntu I could use sensors for some info but I'm not sure how or if you can do this with pfsense. I have disabled the x710 for now in the bios as its not needed.
Pfsense reports core temps at 28. It's pretty hot at top of the house given the temps today on test so likely to be a bit cooler in the rack in the garage.
Wonder what the operating temps are for this processor? (I was looking at the wrong unit lol!)

The n100 with no cooling, just a massive heatsink cover runs at 53....

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks. I just wish I knew how I could check the temps if even possible under pfsense. Under unbuntu I could use sensors for some info but I'm not sure how or if you can do this with pfsense. I have disabled the x710 for now in the bios as its not needed.
Pfsense reports core temps at 28. It's pretty hot at top of the house given the temps today on test so likely to be a bit cooler in the rack in the garage.
Wonder what the operating temps are for this processor? (I was looking at the wrong unit lol!)

The n100 with no cooling, just a massive heatsink cover runs at 53....
If its like OPNsense I think you can get extensions that'll let you measure the temperature :)

Back
Top Bottom