Mint 12 Out Soon!!

Associate
The Mint 12 preview was released on Friday (4th). The new desktop looks pretty good, ive had a play around on Gnome3, mainly on Ubuntu 11.04. I found it ok to use, and over time I could get used to it without a problem but it does feel a lot more restrictive than a classic gnome, KDE or XFCE environment, however seeing the changes with it in Mint 12 and the addition of MGSE (Mint Gnome Shell Extensions), those restrictions might be a lot less noticeable.

Still no official release date yet but I cant wait.

linuxmint12-preview.png

Associate
I used Mint 10 for a long time, i didn't quite have the same experiance with Mint 11 though.

Mint 12 looks really good though, been over there website a few times lately, might have to hit that download button!

Associate
loved this bit

3. Search Engines

The new default search engine in Linux Mint 12 is Duck Duck Go, an option that “doesn't show different results depending on who's making the search, it doesn't track or record user information, it provides you with optimized results and it's built on and contributes to Open Source,” in the project team's own words.

Linux Mint 12 also includes a different--and much easier--way to install new search engines, the team says. A series of new partnerships, meanwhile, will allow Linux Mint to benefit financially from searches performed by its users.

Soldato
I think we need a different attitude to data collection - what you can do with it in terms of, for example, studying how infections spread or making adverts more suited to a group of people (and lets be honest, if you have to endure them then they might as well be for something you might be the least bit interested in). But what's important is that you can do all this without being able to sell personal information that could be traced back to you.

I don't have a problem with anonymous data collection.

Soldato
Hmm, interesting. Doubt i'll upgrade from 11 though, but i will keep an eye on it. I think they need to make up their mind on where they're going and what they want to be. Do they want to be a better looking, easier to use Ubuntu? The need for something like that went away with 10.04, and came back with 11.04, but really what they've been since then is an Ubuntu without Unity, sure the core apps like the Update Manager, Software Manager and Menu were far better than what Ubuntu offered up to 9.10, but they haven't really been updated since and now they don't offer anything over Ubuntu. In fact i prefer the Ubuntu Software Centre.

Or do they want to be a standalone distro, working to their own timescale? I think this would work, and they should have considered it a while ago, but they would need to specialize and stop trying to please everyone by offering everything. If they did this i'd like to see the Debian based edition become the base.

Regardless, the next step for me will probably be to give Arch another spin, i used vanilla Gnome 3 when it was just released on Arch and largely got on with it so we'll see. Would like to try a tilling wm but the learning curve is so steep and there are no really decent guides out there (as much as i adore the Arch wiki).

Associate
Loved Mint 11 , my first time using Linux, installed it on an old box for the mother inlaw and had it installed on the laptop till yesterday and only took it off because i need windows on there for a work project. Will be trying 12 as soon as i get the chance

Soldato
Beautiful distro. Love the desktop. The little symbol at the top left. where you click and get the applications tab - like Unity but better, you can do the same thing with 2 or 3 times less clicks. I'm OK with Unity, but way too many clicks and takes too long to find what you're looking for. This is a better Unity, and of course if you still don't like it, then you have the more traditional menus from the button on the bottom left

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom