Mister FPGA

Associate
How much are they?

£141 something (atm) for their board to slot the DE-10 Nano into. Although I'm sure you might have watched the video by now.

Which is very competitive given it includes the I/O board, USB hub, audio tape input, 128MB Ram along with a few other features all on one board. I think like that Stephen Jones Checkmate Mini & MiSTix board, this does have the advantage of not being a spaghetti junction when lots of things are plugged in. Unlike a 'normal' MiSTer setup.

Associate
£141 something (atm) for their board to slot the DE-10 Nano into. Although I'm sure you might have watched the video by now.

Which is very competitive given it includes the I/O board, USB hub, audio tape input, 128MB Ram along with a few other features all on one board. I think like that Stephen Jones Checkmate Mini & MiSTix board, this does have the advantage of not being a spaghetti junction when lots of things are plugged in. Unlike a 'normal' MiSTer setup.

I agree, surprisingly reasonable price

Associate
Playstation....

Cool. Really looking forward to this core. Probably my biggest want from possible remaining systems on MiSTer, along with a few others like Sega Saturn, Arcade R-Type etc. I do also think accurate PlayStation 1 is a tipping point for many in buying into MiSTer too.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure what happened but have spent the last day or so rebuilding my MiSTer.

Yesterday morning I switched on my MiSTer and it didn't send an HDMI signal to the ASUS monitor. At first I thought it might be the monitor so tried a different HDMI cable, checked the monitor with my PC and then tried the MiSTer on another display. Still no signal and the monitor and TV were fine with my PC.

So did loads of troubleshooting; FTP to the MiSTer to change the .ini file, flashed a different mSD card with Mr. Fusion, unplugged all the add-ons and reformatted the existing mSD card with Mr. Fusion. Still nothing. No matter what I did it wouldn't output any HDMI signal. So I went to find the original mSD card included with the DE-10 Nano to see if I could even get it to boot to its normal Linux system, but realised it is still in storage (building work being done on the house).

Came back a few hours later and tried a few times again. After reflashing one of the mSD cards, this time the MiSTer booted up correctly (you can tell because of the small flashing orange light near the dip switches). Since then I've managed to get my install back up and running, pretty much to where it was before.

Really odd and quite scary. For a minute I thought my DE-10 was a goner. I did read a few threads with 'no HDMI signals' where:

• One person had struggled with an in-line on/off switch.
  • A few having issues resolved once a poor PSU was replaced.
  • One person having the issue until they had tried switching the dip switches a few times - an after that their MiSTer booted?!
  • A few who had corrupted mSD cards (as the MiSTer won't boot if it cannot read a card).
  • And people having the blank HDMI signal issue after having run the update_all script.

Funnily enough last weekend I had run the update_all script for the first time in a few months. Given what I've just been through I might wait until absolutely necessary before running that one again. Really odd and hopefully it's not hardware. I did see the Nano DE-10 is generally out of stock everywhere atm, and so it would be a bad time to have to source a replacement.

Associate
Sounds like the black screen issue for a small number of Update_all download users is fixed. Phew.

https://twitter.com/josembarroso/status/1465371807016439815

I'm glad to announce that this issue is finally resolved for the users of the #MiSTerFPGA Downloader The fix has been live for over 2 months, but I can only confirm it is effective now that it has been battle tested with a couple of Linux & Main updates Have a safe update

Associate
Some small updates on my MiSTer; managed to get the SMB/CIFS mount working and added MSX, BBC Micro & Acorn Electron to my library.

Previously I just used a very old (2011) external USB2.0 3.5" powered external HDD which was very easy to set-up. Reasonably fast at loading but definitely slower than the mSD card. But running games from my Unraid box is faster, even over WiFi. I just used this page for a guide:

• Edited user options in cifs_mount.sh - I didn't create a separate .ini file
  • Created a new user on my Unraid box for MiSTer
  • Then edited the following user options in cifs_mount.sh for Server (local IP address), Share (folder for the games), Username & Password. Then edited ADDITIONAL_MOUNT_OPTIONS="*" (so MiSTer displays game directories in same list as those on mSD card), WAIT_FOR_SERVER="true" and MOUNT_AT_BOOT="true".
  • Then simply ran the cifs_mount.sh script manually once and it now runs every time I power MiSTer on.

For whatever reason it took few attempts to get it to work, and without the user credentials didn't work at all where I got this error msg: 'mount://media/fat/_CIFS : bad option; for several filesystems you might need a /sbin/mount'

So definitely a fan now of running games (particularly the larger ones) over the network. I was thinking about getting a SSD for storage after seeing that Cassette enclosure on Youtube but I don't think I need to now.

Also playing MSX and realising the version of Bubble Bobble on there is really good. Easily a match for the NES or other 8-bit versions. And indeed I found out their is an Amiga remake call Tiny Bobble which really improves upon the well regarded Amiga version and is closer to the arcade version. Need to check this one out at some point.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ive been enjoying msx recently too, specifically the hyper sports games which i coveted on the msx when i was kid i had forgotten all about them as they were quite an offshoot from the classic hyper sports/track and field games.

PSX core with sound on one memory now for a lot of stuff, i was trying out parappa with it, this game has not been emulated well by sony on the rerease so it was nice to play it lag free again, though the audio messed up on the second stage.

Soldato
PSX core with sound on one memory now for a lot of stuff, i was trying out parappa with it, this game has not been emulated well by sony on the rerease so it was nice to play it lag free again, though the audio messed up on the second stage.

It is amazing the amount of progress which has been made on the PSX core. I need to sign up to Patreon and give it a go.

Associate
Ive been enjoying msx recently too, specifically the hyper sports games which i coveted on the msx when i was kid i had forgotten all about them as they were quite an offshoot from the classic hyper sports/track and field games.

Yea, I need to clearly spend some time with that core. Never encountered a real MSX and it's one of those systems that I never really saw, or bothered with emulation of.

Soldato
you don’t need To sign up to use the nightly builds, I do but you are free to try them, the pateon doesn’t really give any benefits
Cheers for the heads up on this, I installed the core and tried it earlier. Really impressive stuff! Managed to try Metal Gear, runs really well.

I had issues getting it to run intially though, my MiSTer main files were not being updated by the update_all script. I managed to sort it in the end with the MiSTer_updater script and now it's fixed the issues I was having with the 'all' script.

Associate
Just wondering what are people using as keyboards for their MiSTers?

Today I took delivery of a keycap set to improve my fairly cheap Drevo Calibur V2 keyboard I've been using with MiSTer. The Calibur V2 works for me in that it's a 60% keyboard but include a few extra keys for arrows, delete etc. which are really useful. However it includes pretty horrible ABS plastic keycaps. So rather than just go out an buy a new keyboard, my aim was to find some keycaps that gave it a more retro vibe.

I think I succeeded but ending up creating a fairly boring looking keyboard.

JMDeiYLl.jpg

Soldato
OP
Just wondering what are people using as keyboards for their MiSTers?

Today I took delivery of a keycap set to improve my fairly cheap Drevo Calibur V2 keyboard I've been using with MiSTer. The Calibur V2 works for me in that it's a 60% keyboard but include a few extra keys for arrows, delete etc. which are really useful. However it includes pretty horrible ABS plastic keycaps. So rather than just go out an buy a new keyboard, my aim was to find some keycaps that gave it a more retro vibe.

I think I succeeded but ending up creating a fairly boring looking keyboard.

JMDeiYLl.jpg

I use a old looking keyboard does the job

Back
Top Bottom