Mister FPGA

Associate
It’s a bit spongey but it looks the part with the Phillips brilliance monitor I’m using, I’ve also ordered one of the new Amiga 2 button usb mouses that are out end of next month to finish it off

Ditto! I'm with you on the mouse - suits the setup brilliantly.

You can obviously spend crazy money on keyboards but with MiSTer (or any retro emulation) it's not a daily driver so I'm not sure it makes sense.

Soldato
OP
Ditto! I'm with you on the mouse - suits the setup brilliantly.

You can obviously spend crazy money on keyboards but with MiSTer (or any retro emulation) it's not a daily driver so I'm not sure it makes sense.

I have a mister setup in my living room (the mistercade one so it looks quite consoley) - i just use button shortcuts for that one.

Associate
Prompted by another forum, I thought I'd finally jump in to trying the new PSX core. And struggling, although great to hear that splash/boot up sound again!

I tried the Akuma-GIT update unstable script and also manually placing the latest rbf file on my MiSTer and neither worked (both the 20220224 file). The Core will boot to the memory card/CD player screen and try to load a game but never gets further than this screen. Tried different versions of the recommended 1001 bios, different images of the games; CUE/BIN and CHD. And loading the games from my CIFS storage or the mSD card. Even tried an Update_all and this now results in an E2 error upon trying to load the core. So obviously something it doesn't like about my setup.

Beyond this I have been playing some Sharp X68000 Core and wow. Particularly where the games support MT32 (i.e. Castlevania/Akumajou Dracula) MIDI. Although a lot of games on the X68000 have native General Midi support rather than MT32 support. Still some fantastic games on that system even just with the native audio.

Soldato
OP
That’s strange, I have the pax core running on both my misters ok, if the bios isn’t right you don’t get the splash screen so guessing that’s not the problem , I use bin cue but I’ll switch over to chd now they work

Associate
That’s strange, I have the pax core running on both my misters ok, if the bios isn’t right you don’t get the splash screen so guessing that’s not the problem , I use bin cue but I’ll switch over to chd now they work

I know! Pleased to report it is working now :) Spent some with it tonight and have tested Ridge Racer & R-Types, the former with both CUE/BIN & CHD file. All working gloriously.

Not sure what happened but I left the unstable script and rbf file untouched. Then deleted the games folder for both the mSD and network storage and created a new folder on my server. This seems to have resolved the issue.

Associate
Weirdly I deleted my older builds and downloaded the latest and im getting the problem you had now , I’m just downloading the chds to try

Yea, there are definitely a few people experiencing similar issues. For me neither CHD or BIN/CUE files worked beyond the SCE start-up sequence. Whereas now both work perfectly. Definitely some odd gremlins with this Core setup that hopefully disappear once it releases into the Update_all.

Associate
My Life In Gaming just released a 2 hour Mister video

Ty for the heads-up.

I didn't watch it all as someone who's quite familiar with MiSTer, but I thought the section on video and audio settings was useful. I've been using no interpolation video filters before to stop shimmering, but it's a worth a watch. Particularly the audio part talking about the nuances of different audio settings.

Associate
does this play the same as using software emulator on pc or is there a different feel to the game when played on the mister?

Using the Mister is hardware level emulation so in theory IF the cores are coded correctly then the emulation is as good as the original device.

PC emulation is done in software and due to cpu cycles, hardware interrupts and a few other things it's supposedly not as close to fpga emulation that Mister does.

For most people it will look and work exactly the same though and you can still enjoy whatever it is you want to emulate both ways, providing the emulator or the core is coded correctly.

Back
Top Bottom