Mister FPGA

Soldato
Wouldn't using an lcd defeat the purpose of using fpga since lcd would create lag resulting in software emulation type of experience?
I can't say I notice any input lag to be honest. That's between the MiSTer and original hardware on my setup, using an 1ms monitor and I have used my OLED on gaming mode as well. However, I might not be sensitive to it.

I would love to try a PVM to see if there is any big difference.

Soldato
Isnt that to do with the controller itself? If using an arduino running daemonbrite joystick interface thats supposed to have been tested as lowest input lag?
Bit confused, but different controllers have various input lag. I use 2.4g wireless controllers and notice no lag. Original hardware or MiSTer.

As I understood it, FPGA emulation has low input latency compared to software emulation. However, run ahead modes for software emulation has almost closed the gap, providing a lower latency mode, albeit at lower emulation accuracy.

Soldato
Just trying to understand the module upgradability of these units - can you keep adding to the stack depending on your needs or do you limit yourself and have to choose what you need most. For example, does the the I/O board need to sit directly above the mainboard or can you put it anywhere? I'd like the MT-32 module but would that mean it takes up a slot that would forfeit another part do you know?

Soldato
Just trying to understand the module upgradability of these units - can you keep adding to the stack depending on your needs or do you limit yourself and have to choose what you need most. For example, does the the I/O board need to sit directly above the mainboard or can you put it anywhere? I'd like the MT-32 module but would that mean it takes up a slot that would forfeit another part do you know?
I believe the small box cases are specifically laid out for USB Hub - DE10 - IO Board, but there are other options. You can get the MiSTer Consoliser from Huber, completely different looking board - Link. I much prefer the smaller set up personally.

You don't need the USB Hub or IO board to get up and going. Order does seem designed as per the above.

There are other configurations and setups for MiSTer, such as a Jamma board expansion to hook up to an arcade machine.

The MT-32 Pi Hat connects via USB, I was going to get one after seeing this video a while back, but I doubt I'll make the most of it. I prefer to play the console cores.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think I have managed to source one now and want to get everything setup monitor side ready just in case :)
Will be outputting from the VGA on Mister and I have component BNC input on monitor - anyone know of a good place to purchase or any decent brand names to look out for etc? Also, anyone know if I need to have a sync input connected on monitor too?

Thank you,

Soldato
Think I have managed to source one now and want to get everything setup monitor side ready just in case :)
Will be outputting from the VGA on Mister and I have component BNC input on monitor - anyone know of a good place to purchase or any decent brand names to look out for etc? Also, anyone know if I need to have a sync input connected on monitor too?

Thank you,
Retro Gaming Cables would be worth looking at, their cables are brilliant. Highly regarded amongst retro community. I own quite a few of their 'pack-a-punch' scarts and would definitely recommend.

Soldato
Still need to do a bit of tweaking but almost fully setup now and it's probably the best thing I've bought computer-wise :D Amazing device.

There's likely more I could do to improve the HD output so not a fair test against the monitor, but the CRT adds so much :D It's the first time I've used a proper screen since the 90's and I forgot how much of a vital part it is.

Soldato
It is :D I have a 20" too but that thing is a beast and don't really have the desk space. Did plan to just use this 9" just for setup but i really like it and it does look great in motion.

Nice! Phillips make a good screen, do you output the sound from it too?

Last edited:
Soldato
Still need to do a bit of tweaking but almost fully setup now and it's probably the best thing I've bought computer-wise :D Amazing device.

There's likely more I could do to improve the HD output so not a fair test against the monitor, but the CRT adds so much :D It's the first time I've used a proper screen since the 90's and I forgot how much of a vital part it is.

Enjoy, MiSTer is amazing. Nice choice on the case :D.

I would absolutely love a PVM. Any tips on where to pick one up?

Soldato
Enjoy, MiSTer is amazing. Nice choice on the case :D.

I would absolutely love a PVM. Any tips on where to pick one up?
Possibly, they come up quite a bit through my work (they are still widely used in the medical industry). Will keep you in mind and if I see anything, i'll let you know :)

And cheers again for telling me of the Mister, I wouldn't have known about it if not from you :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom