Modern gaming terms that annoy you and make no sense

Associate
Having been a full on gamer for years I occasdionally dip in these days but get infuriated when reading steam reviews with everyone shoe horning in the latest nonsense words to demonstrate they are in the know, like being in on some obscure meme no one else gets because they never watched 29 seasons of dragonball XYZ in japanese....anyway

I'll start but feel free to add your own or get annoyed at me for slating your new favourite term and calling me names

Parkour - buck off! enough said, you basically mean running on rails right, thats it. Parkour!

Rogue* Like - The worst offender for me by a mile, constantly inserted into steam reviews, even google couldn't yeild a statisfactory explaination, well it does but bears no relation to how it gets used. So I asked a friends children to explain this to me. Its basically a game where if you die you start again, oh right you mean like a game! a game that you have to learn to play! Honestly I must be easily triggered, whenever I see this in a review I just want to slap these people jumping on this bandwagon, normal games require some special term now do they to distinguish them from waffle simulators I suppose?. Maybe I'm annoyed I'm not in the loop and old now..... :)

Rogue Lite! - No idea what this means, gets thrown around like confetti, I guess same as above but less rougelike?

Anyone else have any favourites?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
"Parkour!" Is a reference to the US version of The Office.

Roguelike games are games that draw inspiration from the original Rogue. The waters of this word's use have definitely become muddied, but it isn't worth getting upset over it. Roguelite is simply the idea of a game that is less similar to Rogue than Roguelikes, but still draws inspiration in observable ways.

It's just like the word "Troll"/"Trolling". First comes misunderstanding and mistaken use, then comes an actual change of the meaning. A similar sort of thing has happened with Roguelike.

Associate
OP
I've been around gaming since '88 and can honestly say i've never heard of this game Rouge! so I cannot see how it can be on the radar of 14 year old's to use as comparison to current games.

It's just such an odd point of reference to be using constantly

Last edited:
Associate
I've been around gaming since '88 and can honestly say i've never heard of this game Rouge! so I cannot see how it can be on the radar of 14 year old's to use as comparison to current games.

It's just such an odd point of reference to be using constantly

It's just a quick way to describe a game type, like metroidvania, or 4x. You may need it explaining once but from then on you'll have a good idea what any game with that tag will be like. Can't really knock it for people not knowing the original reference. Can't honestly say I know the etymology of most the words I use.

Man of Honour
When people in a fps say GG for good game, at the end of a round which one side won by an absolute landslide, which is the exact opposite of a good game imo, a good win yes but not a good game.

I compare it to a football match, a 5-4 win is a good game imo, a 5-0 win is a good win but pretty dull in terms of its rating as a game.

Soldato
Early Access. Generally translates to "Here, have this half finished pile of crap and pay us for the privilege of testing it. Oh, and it might never get fully released either, so yeah..."

Associate
When people in a fps say GG for good game, at the end of a round which one side won by an absolute landslide, which is the exact opposite of a good game imo, a good win yes but not a good game.

I compare it to a football match, a 5-4 win is a good game imo, a 5-0 win is a good win but pretty dull in terms of its rating as a game.

It has its roots in competitive RTS games though, like Brood War being the biggest of its day. It was used a means of signalling you accepted that you had lost though, and wouldn't be used in the passive aggressive manner you describe, "GG bro, I stomped you and now I want to rub it in because the internet is the only place I can get validation as I am an awful human being".

Back
Top Bottom