Monaco Grand Prix 2010, Monte Carlo - Race 6/19

Caporegime
It's not so much the budgets - it apparently only saves around $400'000 a year. They're still carrying it around, just in pieces rather than a complete car.

It's more to do with garage space. There isn't any. ;)

but if they had a spare car they would still want all the spare parts they normall bring and i doubt it only saves 400,000 a year because a lot of parts they dont need to bring so they dont need to make.

some parts just wont ever need replacing

Soldato
Are there any other cases where the green flags are shown and overtaking is not allowed or is this 'last lap between SC line and finish line' unique in that sense?

Nowhere that I have seen or heard about - thats always been to me what the green flag is meant to symbolise:)

Man of Honour
but if they had a spare car they would still want all the spare parts they normall bring and i doubt it only saves 400,000 a year because a lot of parts they dont need to bring so they dont need to make.

some parts just wont ever need replacing

Yeah, they would still want all the spares as well as the spare car.

They have enough to build a complete car from spares without cannibalising any of the race cars - in case of the worst possible event. If, something like Kubica's Canada accident happened in FP1, they would more than likely replace the entire car rather than risking any reused components without a full check back at the factory.

All parts of a F1 car have a life. A chassis can last an entire season - it's rare, but it happens. And in some cases, like Lotus 72 Chassis R5 - 5 seasons, 56 races and is still running regularly today.

Soldato
And in some cases, like Lotus 72 Chassis R5 - 5 seasons, 56 races and is still running regularly today.

Wow.

I was under under the impression that the chassis is changed every few races - for safety reason, if nothing else.

Also, these days, where improvements are constantly being made to the car, I would've thought that after 4-6 races, the chassis is out of date and incompatiable with the latest car parts which are being produced.

Man of Honour
I was under under the impression that the chassis is changed every few races - for safety reason, if nothing else.

Also, these days, where improvements are constantly being made to the car, I would've thought that after 4-6 races, the chassis is out of date and incompatiable with the latest car parts which are being produced.

If there is no damage, and no reason to renew it - they won't.
Sometimes they change between chassis so one can be x-rayd and crack tested while another is being assembled for racing. But now, the chassis design is set at the start of the season and there is very little they can do without express permission from the FIA.

Soldato
I think a chassis needs to go thry FIA safety tests and cannot be altered after that, if they change anything they need to go thru the whole testing phase again.

Soldato
Wow.

The chassis is homologated at the start of the season and so cannot be changed without huge cost. Hence the daft Ferrari F-duct in the side as they cannot modify the chassis to put pipes through in a sensible place.

Back
Top Bottom