Monaco Grand Prix 2016, Monte Carlo - Race 6/21

Why would an ultra soft tyre be able to last over 40 laps!?

Because this track is 22% time on throttle, it's slow corners, there is a lot of breaking but they are short breaking zones because you're breaking from 150kph or 80kph to 40kph rather than 300kph to 60-80kph.

At previous races the softs/supersofts could do way way more than half race distance easily, softs could probably do 60+ laps easily.

Don't forget that this track is short, this track is much shorter distance than every other track, 40 laps here is pretty much 20-25laps anywhere else but those laps at other tracks are at full speed. 40 laps here is probably equivalent to 15 laps at many other tracks in terms of tire wear.

That's irrelevant, everyone using them have been on them for over 30 laps. Ultra softs should have a way shorter life than that, even if you're looking after them. They seem pretty pointless.
I disagree, tires in dirty air tend to 'scrub' more.

Jay

He cut the corner, yes.

What is the penalty for that if you are in front and make a genuine attempt for the corner and it is the first time?

He also didn't go fully across the corner, Ricciardo gained time because Hamilton didn't lock up then abandon the whole corner, he went over the corner of it then had to cut back an even tighter worse line out of the corner. It wasn't an advantage, he tried to take the corner and gained nothing.

If you lock up a tiny bit then just shoot straight across at full speed he'd have gained 1-2 seconds, what he did was made a mistake and did his best to stay on track which cost him time.

Surely the ultrasoft isn't particularly soft if it's lasting this long? No wonder Hamilton said the compound isn't particularly sticky.

Certainly looks that way. I was hoping that the ultra softs would have a 10 lap life total, but was expecting 20-25 laps... but it's looking at double that. :eek:

He also didn't go fully across the corner, Ricciardo gained time because Hamilton didn't lock up then abandon the whole corner, he went over the corner of it then had to cut back an even tighter worse line out of the corner. It wasn't an advantage, he tried to take the corner and gained nothing.

If you lock up a tiny bit then just shoot straight across at full speed he'd have gained 1-2 seconds, what he did was made a mistake and did his best to stay on track which cost him time.

I know. My point was was asking the poster, what the penalty is. Which is nothing.

Back
Top Bottom