Poll: Monaco Grand Prix 2017, Monte Carlo - Race 6/20

Rate the 2017 Monaco Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
If Monaco want to hold an F1 race they should contact China to build them a new island off the bay and build a decent track on that. Then there will still be an F1 for all the rich posers than don't care about racing. :)

Soldato
That was dull. I voted 2 though cos Wehrlein being on his side was brilliant and the views around the harbour are cool. Everything else such as the racing was boring.

Soldato
Worst circuit on the calendar.

Nice to see a JB cameo though. Wonder if he'll make it past the parade lap.

I'll just quote the first reply to this thread and leave it here. I think my 2016 response was pretty similar. This 'track' has no place in modern F1. Rubbish for a TV audience, terrible for spectators at the event.

Meanwhile, 2 hours later in the US, we have drivers going around in circles yet creating a far more entertaining motorsport event.

Caporegime
I'll just quote the first reply to this thread and leave it here. I think my 2016 response was pretty similar. This 'track' has no place in modern F1. Rubbish for a TV audience, terrible for spectators at the event.

Meanwhile, 2 hours later in the US, we have drivers going around in circles yet creating a far more entertaining motorsport event.

Honestly it was only exciting because there was constant crashing and 99% of us viewing it have probably watched 5 indy car races in our lifetimes and probably none for years and years. It was exciting because it was new, and less predictable, also a lot of the new people watching like the F1 guys on reddit, didn't seem to get that a lot of the passing in the race was team mates switching positions to save fuel throughout the race. Most of the overtaking was pretty standard and it didn't seem particularly exciting to me.

I've said it before in regards to F1, the more you watch the more predictable it becomes, same is true of most sports. The fact is history and experience with a sport lets you read how a race will play out. The first time you watch Spain you don't know there won't be many overtakes so the guys following closely feels like an overtake about to happen, by your third Spanish GP you realise there is no overtaking and that same small gap between drivers doesn't feel like an impending overtake and isn't exciting any more.

New and unpredictable will always seem more exciting.

Soldato
I would much rather they reclaimed the old Hockenheim layout from the forest again, than watch a race at Monaco.

Heck, I'm game for F1 to run the Indy oval, rather than Monaco.

Racing modern F1 cars in their current spec at Monaco is as daft as racing them at Brands Hatch. They are both are very suitable for motorcycle events, but definitely not 2m wide cars.

Soldato
My view is that it's monaco, unique and if you don't like it then don't watch it. The drivers love it for what the track is and it should never change. If people don't understand this then they're following the wrong sport.
I cannot watch a race where all they do is go around in circles for 500 laps. However I believe a honda won it, right?

Soldato
It i
My view is that it's monaco, unique and if you don't like it then don't watch it. The drivers love it for what the track is and it should never change. If people don't understand this then they're following the wrong sport.
I cannot watch a race where all they do is go around in circles for 500 laps. However I believe a honda won it, right?

It is but the cars are terrible here. There used to be a few overtakes but now the cars can't even get within 1.5s of the backmarkers. Fortunately, it is still better than the Russian GP.

Soldato
Poor show from the race stewards trying to punish overtaking. Drivers shouldn't leave the door open like that if they didn't want a pass attempted on them. For a Monaco race it was not bad.

Soldato
Terrible race, but it was always going to be with these tyres that last the whole race.

All the people moaning at Pirelli for making tyres made of cheese for the last few years seem to forget that it made the races interesting. Sure, the drivers occasionally had to pace themselves to make the tyres last, but that's the tradeoff. No tyre falloff makes for a season of dull processions.

Back
Top Bottom