Poll: Monaco Grand Prix 2018, Monte Carlo - Race 6/21

Rate the 2018 Monaco Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
They should ban Pirelli all together and return Bridgestone and Michelin.
Pirelli come in and are asked to make a cheese tyre like the one that Bridgestone made for Melbourne in 2009. Reaction "they should make the tyres harder because everyone drops back to protect the tyre".

Pirelli are asked to make hard tyres because people complain that drivers are just protecting tyres. Reaction "races are boring because there's no variation or real drop off".

Pirelli are again asked to make a cheese tyre like the one that Bridgestone made in Melbourne in 2009. Reaction "they should make the tyres harder because everyone drops back to protect the tyre".

I feel sorry for Pirelli because they're doing exactly what is being asked of them.

Soldato
they need to find a sweet spot between the two
Then we'll have drivers protecting tyres and tyres going off anyway, like Monaco.

The world is a different place now to what it was when Bridgestone were around. Now they have several sensors to detect tyre temperatures, tread depth and pressures, available both to the teams and drivers, to the point where drivers are watching their wheel as much as they are the track; back then it was all what the driver felt, whereas now it seems like the driver

If Bridgestone were to come back tomorrow we'd have the same level of tyre management, because there are tiny margins between winning and finishing 6th or lower and it would make a difference. When Bridgestone were around there were a max of 2 leading teams and generally a large gap from front-to-back.

Caporegime
I also feel sorry for pirelli.
I think they have done a great job.

Problem is with more and more technology it' bbecoming more and more uniform with less.chance for good tactics.

Without an unpredictable event its going to be a procession. Plus cars cant Overtake.

Less Technology = better racing = better spectacle

Because you cant overtake track position is more King than it ever was and no unpredictable events happened this years Monaco is how its done.
You cant make Monaco interesting without making it unfair or taking away technology.

Fastest tyre for qualifying
Switch to hard tyre at opportune Moment.
Finish race

That is how Monaco is. Forcing cheese tyres is probably only way to make it interesting. Then car that looks after its tyres has an opportunity to exceed its qualifying pace.
Because no one needed to stops its all stagnenent.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If he did that, he probably would have been 3rd to 5th instead. Track position is king in Monaco, you can be several seconds a lap faster and still not be able to pass.

It depends on the attitude - when he is several seconds faster, he would push the others to the pit soon after. But even if they didn't, he could have tried just to overtake just after the end of the tunnel. If I were Seb, I would have pitted, and then very aggressively attack till the end of the race, even if there was a risk to throw someone else out of the race.

About Pirelli - I think they can't make tyres at all - look at how the entire circuits are covered with rubber debris.
Something never seen with Bridgestone and Michelin.

Soldato
It depends on the attitude - when he is several seconds faster, he would push the others to the pit soon after. But even if they didn't, he could have tried just to overtake just after the end of the tunnel. If I were Seb, I would have pitted, and then very aggressively attack till the end of the race, even if there was a risk to throw someone else out of the race.

I think it was 2016 when Hamilton tried the same and lost the win. It's even harder to follow with this year's cars. There's only one or two overtaking places, and it's easy to defend. Even if your car is faster, you can still be held off, as was amply demonstrated this year by Riccardio's car being 25 percent down on horsepower, and still couldn't be overtaken by the Ferrari or Mercedes behind him.

What you suggest is true for most tracks, you want to be on the faster tyre so you can overtake the guy in front. At Monaco, there are so few overtaking opportunities that the extra speed from new tyres can't be used, and all you do is fall back from making an extra pit stop that you can't make up.

About Pirelli - I think they can't make tyres at all - look at how the entire circuits are covered with rubber debris.
Something never seen with Bridgestone and Michelin.

I feel sorry for Pirelli. When things go badly, everyone blames the tyres, when it goes well, no one gives them any credit. At least if they were fighting against another tyre manufacturer, they would have to the opportunity to beat the other guy and prove a superiority. Pirelli are making exactly what they are asked to make, but each time it's never right for anyone. At least for once the track is being raised as the source of the problem with lacklustre racing.

Caporegime
Pirelli are doing an excellent job and getting blamed for it. It must be so frustrating for them knowing how fast the tyres they could make would go and getting constant stick for putting out tyres deliberately designed to be below that maximum.

Permabanned
Daniel had lost has lost maximum speed but kept his pace through the corners. Where do you overtake people? On corners. Daniel was much harder to pass that backmarkers as a result. Max had the best car on the grid against the worst; not really the same thing.

They were doing laps seven-eight seconds slower than the lap for the pole position. Minute seventeens, minute eighteens.
Seb could have used a more aggressive engine mode and with several laps in the minute twelves, the win was his.

Don
Seb could have used a more aggressive engine mode and with several laps in the minute twelves, the win was his.

You can't go 7-8 seconds faster with a car in your way though? :confused:

If it was that easy to overtake then he would have, however the very real risk of hitting either the other car or the wall was outweighed by championship points for a 2nd place.

Max likely would have gone for more overtakes as would normally have had nothing to lose (but in this case needed to have a clean race)

Caporegime
They were doing laps seven-eight seconds slower than the lap for the pole position. Minute seventeens, minute eighteens.

No, he couldn't. The fastest lap of the race was a 1:14.260 by Max. It's highly unlikely that Seb could have gone faster, and he certainly couldn't have done it without trashing his tyres. Racing laps are never as fast as qualifying laps. For comparison: last year, the fastest lap (by DR) was 2.3s slower than the pole lap.

Back
Top Bottom