Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
Personally, I think that all the neo-banks are offering something that is slightly unsustainable. I've got Starling (GBP and EUR accounts), Monzo and Revolut. They all have different purposes and are not completely comparable. I like Revolut, as their app has some features you don't get elsewhere. (ie alerts when exchange rate hits a threshold or auto conversion when rates hit a threshold and the ability to top-up in currencies other than GBP.).

Why would Monzo and Starling, that are essentially just retail banks be any more unsustainable than any other highstreet retail bank? They earn their money in the same ways, interest on overdrafts, loans, fees on international transfers, fees on business banking etc..

Soldato
I used my Starling card to make a deposit at Party Poker last week. I've received an alert in the Starling App today telling me that my payment has been reversed by the merchant. My credit is still showing on my PP account.

Anyone seen anything similar?

Soldato
I used my Starling card to make a deposit at Party Poker last week. I've received an alert in the Starling App today telling me that my payment has been reversed by the merchant. My credit is still showing on my PP account.

Not the same but I put £30.03 of diesel in my car at a pay at pump today but Starling say I spend £20.

If that is true then its a win win!

Soldato

I have after making a payment at Sainsbury's... they got their money back within a few days though.

Associate
I'm thinking of opening a Starling account, mainly for trips abroad.
How long does it take when transferring money to Starling, until it appears in the account?

Soldato
Sorry for a bit of a bump....
Finally downloaded Starling this evening, absolute doddle to set up.....took less than 10 minutes.
So I’m all set up and have a card on the way.
The big question is to I do “the switch” and use starling for my main current account?

How many of you are using Starling as your day to day current account? Being paid into it and using it for most general spending etc inc. DD bills

Soldato
Yep I done 3 switches over the last few months of last year to get the bonuses and all went fine, no intervention from me needed at all.
if you use their switch they want you to close the original account and use the new one exclusively though, so I've just opened a new account and set up auto transfers as Shadowness suggests .... Santander for the cashback and current account interest.

Soldato
Sorry for a bit of a bump....
Finally downloaded Starling this evening, absolute doddle to set up.....took less than 10 minutes.
So I’m all set up and have a card on the way.
The big question is to I do “the switch” and use starling for my main current account?

How many of you are using Starling as your day to day current account? Being paid into it and using it for most general spending etc inc. DD bills

I've been using Starling as my main current account since I got it in late 2017 and haven't looked back. Athough I transferred everything over myself (salary, DDs, etc) myself. I didn't use the switching service.

Soldato
I moved everything over earlier this year using their switch and was fine. Apart from me forgetting my expenses account at work and it went awol. Not a starling fault that.

Strangely the only issue I've ever had was yesterday. Tried to wirhdraw £90 in cash from 2 different LINK atms and neither worked. Raised a question but 31 people waiting. I think they need a bigger customer service base or maybe they were just inundated due to atm cash problems everywhere yesterday and not just me.

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm really torn between fully switching, or just setting up a SO and paying in a chunk of my salary into Starling every month and using the app to track/manage general spending. (and I travel overseas a lot, so the 0% fees is a big plus too)

I presume if you make the switch and don't get on with it for any reason, I can always switch back to Lloyds with no hassle?

Back
Top Bottom