Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
How? When I try to add mine it says it's not accepted and hopefully coming soon.
You can't - that's what Olly is saying. They stopped supporting Amex quite quickly after sign ups began. I'm guessing they used seed money to pay the Amex fees to get everyone on board (me, loved it) and then once that ran out they ceased the relationship with Amex as it was too costly.

Soldato
I have used Monzo in Europe and Thailand with no issue but I had issues with the app - something to do with iPhone and iCloud emails. It was great getting good exchange rates and being able to withdraw cash with no charge.

With starling being first to go live as it were I never upgraded my Monzo to a current account but Starling is one of my main accounts.

I am actually a small investor in Monzo too so I might go back to it eventually.

Soldato
Starling also supports Apple Pay whereas it’s been “coming soon” for ages on Monzo. I think I’m going to close my Monzo account as I don’t need both.

Soldato
I've been using Starling as my main current account since November, Salary paid into it and everything. Looked into a few others and they mostly seem to be bleeting on about prepaid cards. Looks like Monza and Mondo and whoever have missed the boat.

Soldato
Another Monzo user that switched to Starling about five months ago. It's a more complete product, and of course much better for use abroad now that Monzo when back on it's word and started charging for withdrawals. It also supports apple pay and has MoneyBox integration.

IMO Monzo is slowly starting to miss the boat. Development is slow, and the feature just isn't as good.

Soldato
I have starling but it's still frustrating never knowing if your card will work in an ATM and occasionally I find that a merchant won't accept the card so end up using my normal bank card instead.

I like the goals and spending tracker but I'm finding that I'm using my normal card more these days thanks to the frustrations. It's not quite there yet.

Associate
I’ve only had one ATM that didn’t work with my Starling card but have seen other people report this. I think it’s because they are not part of LINK. You should be fine with any major bank’s ATM.

Which merchants refused your card? Did you report it to Starling?

Soldato
I’ve only had one ATM that didn’t work with my Starling card but have seen other people report this. I think it’s because they are not part of LINK. You should be fine with any major bank’s ATM.

Which merchants refused your card? Did you report it to Starling?
I'm aware of the LINK situation and it's not that. It looks like other providers/owners don't support Starling either. I've given up using it for cash withdrawals as it's a lottery every time.

Yep I've reported vendor issues to them and they are investigating. I suppose it's to be expected being in beta but it's got to the point where I'm thinking of just moving everything to FD or someone else because I keep having to move money back to my main account.

Soldato
This thread, plus research, has inspired me to sign up for Starling (rubbish name!)
I think they are definitely the leader in the challenger space right now but as mentioned, it's beta, which they don't make that obvious.

It's good for disposable income spending, just has some niggles which may or may not irk you.

Soldato
Love me some Starling, they gave some bad advice over live chat and sent me a handwritten postcard from the customer services manager and some welsh salted chocolate to apologise.

Soldato
Funnily enough I also signed up to Starling recently, despite being a Monzo investor.
Already had to use Starlings CS due to a problem at sign-up and fair play to them it was delt with very quickly.

Monzo's very slow development, especially with their Android app constantly being far behind the iOS version is very bothersome so far.

Back
Top Bottom