Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Caporegime
Monzo, I’m a Starling customer. I know my opinion is very subjective and irrational but I can’t help it, every time I see a coral card whipped out my blood boils!

So you wish an entire bank go under because you don't like their cards? Am I reading this right? Or is there an actual reason that a grown up might come up with?

Soldato
So you wish an entire bank go under because you don't like their cards? Am I reading this right? Or is there an actual reason that a grown up might come up with?

I don’t like how they came into being. But yeah, I also don’t like the name, logo or card so there you go.

Soldato
Those with Starling accounts, Do you have a GBP account and a euro one?

Yep, GBP, Euro, and a joint account. Been using Starling solely for a year now and very happy with it. Had to update my address on an old RBS account recently, I'd forgotten how utterly useless traditional banks are.

Just remembered I hadn't actually managed to change my address at RBS yet in fact. Their website says to use the app to change it. The app says to use the chat system. You wait on the chat system and the person on it says you need to ring someone. You try to ring someone and wait an hour on hold and give up.

Dealing with Starling is so easy, just go on webchat, get through to someone instantly, get issue sorted out straight away first time. I've contacted them a few times with some queries and it's been excellent every time.

Soldato
Yep, GBP, Euro, and a joint account. Been using Starling solely for a year now and very happy with it. Had to update my address on an old RBS account recently, I'd forgotten how utterly useless traditional banks are.

Just remembered I hadn't actually managed to change my address at RBS yet in fact. Their website says to use the app to change it. The app says to use the chat system. You wait on the chat system and the person on it says you need to ring someone. You try to ring someone and wait an hour on hold and give up.

Dealing with Starling is so easy, just go on webchat, get through to someone instantly, get issue sorted out straight away first time. I've contacted them a few times with some queries and it's been excellent every time.

Yep, I've had Starling for possibly near a year and its been easy to deal with them when I've needed to.
I still have my Halifax account but have started utilising my Starling account more and more. I'm tempted to get a Euro account too though now.

Soldato
I thought about it but not yet, I’m waiting of the ability to deposit cash in euros.

Yep 3 accounts personnel , joint and a euro . The euro was great while in beta and no fee's tho they are still better rates than any other I've found even with the small fee not I've had mush chance to use the euro this year :(

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Always say this but if only starling would allow DD’s to come out of their spaces like monzo do with their pots I’d switch ina heart beat

They are going a different route I believe. Allowing customers to open additional solo and joint accounts, these would allow that DD separation. Not available yet but it has been announced as a feature coming soon.

Soldato
Is anyone else finding Revolut to be annoying? I have some rent money going in every so often and they have been hassling me non stop the last few weeks while on-off locking my account.

Who is this person? Can you show us bank statements of this person sending you money (um....you are my kinda-bank numpty he's been sending it to Revolut.
What is that money for?
Do you have a contract? Can you send it to us?
Do you have any other sources of income?
DO you have any other banks?

Repeat every few days.

Soldato
Vaguely related to Monzo, which bright spark in Googles dev team though changing the Gmail notification icon to something that is basically an exact wireframe copy of the Monzo notification icon was a good idea :rolleyes:
An envelope was perfect for an email application.

Haha I thought exactly the same thing recently! Glad i'm not the only one going through my monzo thinking 'wtf'

Soldato
Starling has finally made a profit.

Breaking barriers and breaking even - Starling Bank

"With nearly 1.8 million accounts, £4 billion in deposits and £1.5 billion of lending, we hit break even in October and fully expect to be monthly profitable from here onwards on an operating profit basis. Starling generated £9 million of revenue for the month of October 2020, which represents an annualised run rate of £108 million. This gave us a positive operating profit of £0.8 million for the month of October 2020, or £10 million on an annualised basis. "

Soldato

"With nearly 1.8 million accounts, £4 billion in deposits and £1.5 billion of lending, we hit break even in October and fully expect to be monthly profitable from here onwards on an operating profit basis. Starling generated £9 million of revenue for the month of October 2020, which represents an annualised run rate of £108 million. This gave us a positive operating profit of £0.8 million for the month of October 2020, or £10 million on an annualised basis. "

That’s fantastic, they’ve done a great job.

Soldato
I saw an article headline yesterday claiming they are the first to be profitable. They must have forgotten about Revolut, which did make a small profit at one point.

But, good news anyway. I like Anne's business sense, especially the way she's gone about financing. Which seems to be the polar opposite of Monzo.

Soldato

Good to hear! :)

Associate
Been a Starling / Monzo user now for 2+ years. Got rid of Halifax quicker than I could blink.

Only one BIG issue with the app based banks is I can't walk up and withdrawal say £1k if something pops up on Facebook market place that takes my fancy. You have to plan ahead and uses the withdrawal daily limit. Few people do accept bank transfer but it's risky not knowing 100% faster payment works.

Am now starting to move away from Monzo due to the one big issue is no CCV in the app. If you forget your card and are out/cannot find it your stuck doing online shopping.

Starling gives you full control, CS can be a bit Frank and they run directly off a script and can be very robotic.

Halifax well..... 1000 issues to name.

Back
Top Bottom