Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
Yeah, that's a decent return for an instant saver. I've noticed most banks still being pathetically low, despite the recent raises to interest rates.

Weird on the deposits side. Guess there's not much you can do, bar stick it to one side in the event someone asks, but otherwise it's free money :D

Man of Honour
I’ve stuck it in my Chase savings account for now, it’s not a huge amount (just under £100 in total) but odd how I’ve had them both within a few days of each other.

Soldato
The new Chase offer isn't bad. So you now you get 1% cashback on card spending, 5% on rounded up savings, and 1.5% easy access savings, with much higher limits than the usual £1500 on offer at other places.

Still pittance compared to inflation but hey-ho.

Soldato
Well after that just transfer your account elsewhere. It makes sense to be running multiple accounts with multiple institutions and transferring for free cash anyway.

Yeah true, i've recently just switched 2 accounts to Santander/Nationwide for the opening balance fees.

I have Amex which gives 2% for the Vitality card so is better anyway. If it was permenant though i'd have considered it just for neatness.

Soldato
I'm giving Chase a go at those numbers. I've got cash I need easy access to tied up in Marcus which is a pitiful 0.6% so this is almost 3x :D

5% savings sounds useful too.

Edit: is anyone using the 5% round up? Can't tell if interest payments are actually accessible or you need to wait a year.

Last edited:
Soldato
1.5% on that chase account seems a cracking deal compared to what else is out there, especially considering there's a high ceiling on the max balance it pays interest on. Are there any gotcha's in the T+C's?

I got an email from Santander today that they're upping the interest on their 123 account from 0.3% to 0.5%.

Soldato
So far so good with Chase, chaps.

Signed up on Tuesday, app was ready to go about 30 mins after. I've transferred 4.5k, 500 for the 1% on spending and round-up to nearest pound and get 5%, and put the £4k into the 1.5% savings.

Surprisingly interest is calculated and added daily which is a nice psychological boost.

Commissario
Just a gotcha with Chase - you need to open an additional Savings account from within the app in order to get the 1.5%. I think the default account doesn't have this interest rate!

Soldato
Thanks for the heads up guys. I got my chase account verified this morning and deposited some cash into it shortly after.

Very simple to set up and get up and running.

As maccy has said, you do need to add an extra account to get the 1.5% (and another for the roundup feature), but it takes literally seconds to do it.

Associate
Looks like Chase actually might be worth it after all. I remember joining the shortlist when they first launched but didn't bother realising it didn't offer too much.

At least a good place to keep emergency funds.

Last edited:
Soldato
I joined the Chase waiting list then tried to sign up when they launched but due to a bug in the Android app I got stuck in registration loop so gave up and never bothered since. Their loss for initially not giving 2 hoots about Android users.

Soldato
Has anyone moved a current account from natwest to monzo? I pay PM for natwest and get the usual mob insurance etc (have done it for years) but am trying to simplify things. Slightly perturbed by not having a branch to use...

Man of Honour
Has anyone moved a current account from natwest to monzo? I pay PM for natwest and get the usual mob insurance etc (have done it for years) but am trying to simplify things. Slightly perturbed by not having a branch to use...
Yes I moved from FD to Monzo, no issues at all and I’ve been reasonably happy.

Back
Top Bottom