• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

More Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X details tip up

Soldato
If it's in the region of 4.6-4.8 I'd be happy. Not long to wait now.

Ryzen has merit, especially given the price point - but being forthright, if the platform is anywhere near as fudged up as the current one is I'd rather put bleach in my eyes and stick to what works best for similar to better performance. That is what we're talking about here, price is secondary.

Soldato
If it's in the region of 4.6-4.8 I'd be happy. Not long to wait now.

Ryzen has merit, especially given the price point - but being forthright, if the platform is anywhere near as fudged up as the current one is I'd rather put bleach in my eyes and stick to what works best for similar to better performance. That is what we're talking about here, price is secondary.

Intel should be very happy, they now have a competitor to bench against. I suspect that Ryzen will improve the x299 platform and so it should with the relative R&D budgets of the organisations.

They should also welcome the idea that cores >4 is now going mainstream.

Storage is a non issue for the 99%. One NVMe and several SSD / HDD covers all reasonable demands IMO.

Soldato
Does anyone else think it's odd that Intel are touting Optane support as a selling point of X299? I could be in the minority but I'm not really planning to use a mechanical HDD as the boot disk on my X299 system so the thought of the IRST caching software supporting M.2 SSDs doesn't really enthrall me :p

Doesn't say POST there.
It says running, it doesn't count as running if it doesn't post :rolleyes:

Soldato
You won't be hitting anything other than the reset button when you get bit errors ;)

HCI and Google Stress App test are the best memory stability tests (if set up correctly)

Funny how people including myself are already stable at 3200. Not that you'll have the stones to give it away anyway it was all a farce, just like that ryzen sample lol

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Ryzen is too weak on the storage front currently, also. Something X299 definitely won't be.

Looking at the block diagram of X299 which have been released so far, it seems the storage linked from the PCH (DMI 3.0 using PCI 3.0) which seems to be a similar layout to X99. However, if we look at the Z270 layout again it’s in the same format but they have boosted it to 8 PCIe Lanes (PCIe 3.0) to the PCH. So, it’s fair to assume the X299 will follow the same methodology.

However, if you look at the X370 layout from AMD you have x4 (PCIe 3.0) directly from the CPU and then a further expansion of x4 PCIe 3.0 from the X370 chipset.

AMD are currently rumoured to have a HEDT which is due for release soon, again this is only rumours but it would make sense as they have the fully-fledged Naples server platform coming soon. So, it would make sense to compare the storage options against two level playing fields.

So, I really wouldn’t call AMD’s offerings weak as in theory it has the same bandwidth as the current Z270 boards and more than the current X99 systems (This excludes add in cards)

However, please correct me if have misread any of the diagrams incorrectly.

Soldato
AMD are currently rumoured to have a HEDT which is due for release soon, again this is only rumours but it would make sense as they have the fully-fledged Naples server platform coming soon. So, it would make sense to compare the storage options against two level playing fields.
I'm sure they will, it won't cost that much to essentially rebrand server boards and chips for this purpose. However, I would expect it to be as expensive as Intel's line-up to be honest. I mean the R7 1800X is £500, so HEDT will surely start above this, not even including the cost of the motherboard.

Soldato
The very high frequency RAM packs are silly money - even going from 3200MHZ DDR4 to 3466MHZ DDR4 is a large enough price jump let alone 3866MHZ stuff.
Agreed, the performance difference is tiny after you hit higher than about 3000mhz on RAM. Start to throw away money for little/nothing after that.
Does anyone else think it's odd that Intel are touting Optane support as a selling point of X299?
Optane doesn't mean anything to me until the SSD's become quite a lot faster than regular SSD's, as system memory i don't see it being useful for me.

Soldato
What makes it weak? I have an NVMe M.2, 2x SSDs and a HDD.
2 NVMe M.2 slots would be nice I'd admit but wouldn't call it weak without.
There is nothing weak about it, it's just people trying to justify to themselves why they are paying twice the price for an inferior product just because it's "intel".

Soldato
Looking at the block diagram of X299 which have been released so far, it seems the storage linked from the PCH (DMI 3.0 using PCI 3.0) which seems to be a similar layout to X99. However, if we look at the Z270 layout again it’s in the same format but they have boosted it to 8 PCIe Lanes (PCIe 3.0) to the PCH. So, it’s fair to assume the X299 will follow the same methodology.

However, if you look at the X370 layout from AMD you have x4 (PCIe 3.0) directly from the CPU and then a further expansion of x4 PCIe 3.0 from the X370 chipset.

So, I really wouldn’t call AMD’s offerings weak as in theory it has the same bandwidth as the current Z270 boards and more than the current X99 systems (This excludes add in cards)

However, please correct me if have misread any of the diagrams incorrectly.

That's the problem with speculation, it's often wrong. X299 has a lot more to offer than what you're saying it does. The number of lanes and where doesn't tell you the whole story.

Back
Top Bottom