Mortgage Rate Rises

fez

fez

Caporegime
More than likely and that is frightening for my children and grandchildren.

Its just another haves vs have nots. Our children will probably be OK because we will have money to gift them for a deposit. Many won't be so lucky. Gifts for deposits are already the norm these days for first time buyers. Eventually though people will have so little saved/equity that they can't gift their children anything and suddenly that stilt that is giving people a chance will drop away.

Associate
Its just another haves vs have nots. Our children will probably be OK because we will have money to gift them for a deposit. Many won't be so lucky. Gifts for deposits are already the norm these days for first time buyers. Eventually though people will have so little saved/equity that they can't gift their children anything and suddenly that stilt that is giving people a chance will drop away.
Of that you are probably correct

Soldato
I've already shown that we could buy our original house on NMW, probably with extra time and sacrifice. It depends on your viewpoint, the statistics show you can't but several of us has said you can. Yes the market is screwed and has been for decades. If it continues then it will either collapse or there will be drastic measures put in place.

I thought you said your original house was around £200k now? NMW is around £20k so thats 10x salary (no chance) or 5x a joint salary (on the limit of lending).

When you have kids and need to drop a salary, what happens then?

Last edited:
Associate
I thought you said your original house was around £200k now? NMW is around £20k so thats 10x salary (no chance) or 5x a joint salary (on the limit of lending).

When you have kids and need to drop a salary, what happens then?
Yes it will be around £180,000 - £200,000 as its a 2 bed terraced but the only one I could see that nearly matched was a 3 bed.
That's what the calculator came up with, I believe NMW is £22,000.
I put myself down for £27,000 and the wife for £22,000. I did say on just my wage it would be impossible but we bought the house on 2 wages.
On the kids front we would have waited longer than we did originally.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Currently we have a 3 bedroom house with on road parking and a reasonable garden but its not very child friendly. House is quite nice and 110sq/m but its in a less nice area of TW.

The next house up will likely have:

Off street parking
Garage
Larger garden
4 bedrooms, maybe 5 and larger living spaces
Likely a nicer area
Wow yeah to me that's a big house already. I grew up in a big house and I'm not a big fan. But that's personal preference (too much to clean etc).

But I do like our off road parking. Sometimes I drive down streets closer to town and the cars lined either side of the road stresses me out!

Caporegime
Ours is a shade under 200k.
Ita not a burden as we have a good rate. But the thought of having 5pc rate would cause changes in things like holidays.

I do not ever want it to be bigger than it was yesterday.

Caporegime
Wow yeah to me that's a big house already. I grew up in a big house and I'm not a big fan. But that's personal preference (too much to clean etc).

But I do like our off road parking. Sometimes I drive down streets closer to town and the cars lined either side of the road stresses me out!

I couldn't live without off road parking. A private drive with space for at least two cars is an absolute must.

Last edited:
Associate
Ours is a shade under 200k.
Ita not a burden as we have a good rate. But the thought of having 5pc rate would cause changes in things like holidays.

I do not ever want it to be bigger than it was yesterday.
What rate are you on at the minute and for how long? If you don't mind me asking.

fez

fez

Caporegime

I work from home and one of the main reasons we want a bigger house is for a larger living area. Everything scales off the bedrooms in general. So if you have a 3 bed its unlikely to have room for an office and a decent sized living room. I also like a nice open kitchen because I do 99% of the cooking and I enjoy it. I hate galley kitchens. Ironically I also hate people loitering in the kitchen when I am cooking! **** off to the living room so I am not having to walk around you all the time!

Last edited:
Soldato
I work from home and one of the main reasons we want a bigger house is for a larger living area. Everything scales off the bedrooms in general. So if you have a 3 bed its unlikely to have room for an office and a decent sized living room. I also like a nice open kitchen because I do 99% of the cooking and I enjoy it. I hate galley kitchens. Ironically I also hate people loitering in the kitchen when I am cooking! **** off to the living room so I am not having to walk around you all the time!
Our next move is similar, more bedrooms so we have an office each, detached so I never have to hear my neighbours, bigger overall so there's actually space in the living room.. we can only have a 2 seater in there.

All of which is crackers in the context of £800k but then I live in Farnham so other than Jeremy hunt it's very nice.

Soldato
It's mad how our "standards" just get higher and higher...
I always lived in a cul-de-sac growing up, so parking was never an issue and since I had a place of my own, I've always had either my own parking space or drive. When I go to friends houses, it drives me crazy when I have to street park.. lol..

My next house will have it's own garage, not that I'm planning to park a car in it.. I want to have my own gym in there, along with a workshop and put in a mezzanine floor for an office.

If I don't move, I will look into having a car port put in on the side of the house and a room on top for that same reason. my drive is big enough of a garage and still park the car outside if I use some of the garden on the side.

Caporegime
God I couldn’t think of anything worth than an insane mortgage and a massive house with all the cleaning and problems that arise.

I’ll keep my 2 bed that’ll be paid off in less than 10 years thanks.

Although we have a 3 bed I do agree I don't want the work and cost of a big house either.

My parents are slaves to their huge house and it's nigh on impossible for them to keep on top of.

I lived that life of endless chores when I lived there. It's put me right off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom