Mortgage Rate Rises

NatWest with a small drop just before we lock in again. Could be worse I guess. Still leaning toward a 5 year lock and extending the term.

I'm really surprised. That being said might take a bit of the sharpness out of the rises recently, I honestly hope they don't drop it too much further we will end up in a mess again.

Will somebody please think of the savers!

Yea, why not, it's not like the current reasonable interest rate we're at now has even dented the housing market after it's temporary stalling of prices.

House prices back to rising as fast as ever and the tsunami of repossessions you were hand wringing about hasn't happened (yet)*

* Yes, latest data shows they haven risen by 25%, but that's Covid again distorting the statistics, as repossessions basically stopped entirely during Covid lockdowns, and even after the recent rises we're still far below pre-Covid repossession rates when interest rates were negligible.

Last edited:
Yea, why not, it's not like the current reasonable interest rate we're at now has even dented the housing market after it's temporary stalling of prices.
Some people just have a dislike of savers and people who are prudent with their cash.

Anyway sounds like the pace of rate cuts will be slow going forward.

Expecting bad news from my savings account :(

I'm on the Santander one that was 5%ish and then it dropped around April this year to about 4.2%. Is it likely to go under 4 now do people think?

I would have been ok with one final keep it the same, then start slowly cutting. But to do it now is also fine. I think they will then have to manage this so it drops very, very slowly. Possibly not another cut until xmas perhaps.

Apologies in advance for any stupid questions, but watching eagerly as my low (~2.8% iirc) 5 year fixed rate ends in January.

I'm with HSBC so watching to see when/if they drop their rates, and as far as I can gather, even if I commit to a new rate now, if it drops again e.g. November, I can still change to that as long as it's before my existing mortgage expires?

Just wondering what everyone's thinking is: 2 year fix and hope for further drops?

Back
Top Bottom