Mortgage Rate Rises

We were fortunate enough to be in a position to move earlier this year and become mortgage free. We are in our late 50s and were on a fixed and paying £650 a month.

The £650 a month saving isn’t life changing, but as you approach 60 unloading the stress of mortgage rates, fixed or not and the rest that comes with it certainly is

FbX1wKN.png

Hoping the rate drop means what I have locked in goes down a bit. I am paying 4.74% over 5 years for half, and 2.44 on the other half. IIRC I have locked in 4.84% for the 2nd half.

The website is currently offering me 4.64% at 80% LTV but it seems to have no bearing on the actual Mortgage Manager app...

I can also see my house price has dropped from 860 to 830 according to their calculator, so I am still playing a balancing game with the LTV ratio (currently at like 80.24%)!

I guess I'll have to endure the call center and see if I can get the 4.64% rate, and I'll probably have to top up the mortgage by £2k to get through the LTV test based on their revaluation of the house.

What's a mortgage ? Best regards, Moon Man (Boomer)
Seriously though my daughter is getting close to completing in London so hoping she gets a lower rate best part of a mill but have proceeds from their flat (also London)

House prices are still dictated by supply and demand. Especially when house builders aren't building as fast

You still have enough people who can buy. Just many others can't.
I don't feel quite so bad when I look at my current balance now :D

Same. Never getting a bigger one.

I feel your pain. :(
Ratios innit..

In context it's not mad at all it's just hard not to feel a bit of jealousy over paying it off but when it cost me £1m to start off with (or will, I've got £400k outstanding now but we're trading up next year) it gets vaguely more acceptable.

Ratios innit..

In context it's not mad at all it's just hard not to feel a bit of jealousy over paying it off but when it cost me £1m to start off with (or will, I've got £400k outstanding now but we're trading up next year) it gets vaguely more acceptable.

Indeed.

I think perhaps coming from a relatively modest background, seeing large numbers being owed makes me hugely twitchy even if it’s very reasonable versus income.

FbX1wKN.png

Hoping the rate drop means what I have locked in goes down a bit. I am paying 4.74% over 5 years for half, and 2.44 on the other half. IIRC I have locked in 4.84% for the 2nd half.

The website is currently offering me 4.64% at 80% LTV but it seems to have no bearing on the actual Mortgage Manager app...

I can also see my house price has dropped from 860 to 830 according to their calculator, so I am still playing a balancing game with the LTV ratio (currently at like 80.24%)!

I guess I'll have to endure the call center and see if I can get the 4.64% rate, and I'll probably have to top up the mortgage by £2k to get through the LTV test based on their revaluation of the house.
Ouch man, and I thought my 29.78% LTV (7 years remaining) was stretching in these current times.
Do you have a lifetime mortgage or something?!

Last edited:
FbX1wKN.png

You've done a lot of work to your house so get it valued properly instead of via their calculator.

FbX1wKN.png

Balls to the London and Surrey lot with their mortgages. Houses are silly down here/there.

I'm with you on the re-mortgage and re-evaluation fun. Our valuation gone up on Zoopla but the RPI is down. Just need to finish our renovations this year and get a full valuation done to drop the LTV right down (just moved to a tracker with incumbent provider). Then we'll have some options.

Never moving from here, until I'm pulled out in a box.

You've done a lot of work to your house so get it valued properly instead of via their calculator.
I don't think I've done anything material for the valuation tho? Like to them it's just decorated. There is a risk it could be valued down, too.

Back
Top Bottom