MoTD Complaint form... I got a reply

Soldato
Well, last week after the United v Liverpool game on BBC I sent an email complaining about Gary Lineker's comment about 'why the long face' regarding Ruud Van Nistelrooy. I wasn't hugely seriously about it but I don't think it's the place of BBC commentators to start making snide remarks on people's appearances. I also let them know how vastly inferior their commentary and replay coverage was compared to Sky.

Today I got a reply!

The Beeb said:
Dear Mr Blair

Thank you for your e-mail regarding a remark made by Gary Linkere during 'Match of the Day'. Your concerns were addressed to BBC Sport Editor Andrew Clement who responded as follows:

"I am sorry if you were upset by Gary Lineker's comment to Ruud Van Nistelroy during the Liverpool Vs Manchester United match on Saturday 18th February.

We admit the "why the long face" comment was ill-judged and in poor taste, and I can assure you he has been made fully aware of this. As with all live events, mistakes are inevitable and we feel that on this occasion, Gary's comment came out of the blue and he did not intend to cause offence.
Once again, we are very sorry if any offence was caused."

I trust that this response has gone some way towards allaying your concerns.

I have also noted your dissatisfaction with camerawork and commentary in general recently. On the former issue, I understand that you consider inadequate replays have been included.

With regards to commentary, BBC Sport regularly receives both positive and negative feedback about individual commentators and presenters used in our programmes. We do pro-actively research viewer opinions about our presentation teams as well as monitoring complaints. If we received only negative reaction and feedback then the issue would certainly be addressed.

We do appreciate that not everyone will agree with our choice of presenter or commentator and we find that certain individuals divide opinion; for example where one person will disagree with our choice of commentator another will contact us with positive comments.

Please be assured that I have included your comments in the daily audience log. This internal document is made available to BBC Sport production teams and senior management.

Thank you for taking the time to contact BBC Information.

Regards

Anne Lavan
BBC Information

-----Original Message-----

>{Date:} 19/02/2006
>{CommentType:} Complaint
>
>{Title:}
>{FirstName:} Peter
>{LastName:} Blair
>
>{Email:}
>{PhoneNo:}
>{Postcode:}
>{PostRegion:}
>{Country:} N. Ireland
>
>{About:} TV
>
>
>{Channel:} BBC One
>{ProgrammeName:} Match of the Day Live - FA Cup 5th Round
>{TransmissionDate:} 18/02/06
>
>{Comments:}
>Dear Sir/Madam,
>
>Gary Lineker's comments about Ruud Van Nistelrooy on Match of the Day Live today (Liverpool vs Man Utd FA Cup 5th Round) to the effect of 'why the long face' were in extremely poor taste and not something I would expect from a flagship presenter of BBC sport coverage. Is this the sort of poor taste we can expect during the World Cup?
>
>I'm sure Gary himself has been on the receiving end of plenty of jibes about his personal appearance and so I don't see why he felt the need to do the same to another player who has just provided the BBC with an interview.
>
>Also I must mention the camerawork and commentary has been of a very poor standard recently. There has been a distinct lack of replays for offside decisions and commentators seem to have little idea what is happening in most matches or which way a decision should have gone. A lot of commentary has been extremely partisan - i.e. Ian Wright and Gary Lineker's comments following the England defeat by Northern Ireland.
>
>I would appreciate some professionalism and manners from the individuals you are paying to present shows using my license fee money.
>
>Yours sincerely,
>
>Peter Blair

I'm highly impressed they took the time to reply tbh.

Soldato
Leave Gary alone - BBC sport is a heck of a lot cheaper than skysports, and its not as if it was a verbal attack on Ruud. How many times to you think someones said something about Gary in his career, do you think he whined and sent a letter???

Don
Meh, I like the BBC's coverage of football...So much better than the other 'competition'

However, Motson is getting to be the most annoying commentator ever, although, again it could be worse...(ITV)

Permabanned
Hmm. I agree with giving them feedback about the commentary etc.

But whinging about Gary's little comment is a bit sad IMO. I'm sure he himself took no offence as he knows its all in good jest.

It's not like Gary called him a donkey or anything. ;)

Don
I doubt he meant the complaint seriously or you wouldn't add something like " sure Gary himself has been on the receiving end of plenty of jibes about his personal appearance " which is effectively a dig at Lineker's big ears and TBH Lineker has frequently had comments made about his ears on TV and has never complained

Soldato
OP
G|mp said:
Yes it is him

One post wonder ;) :p

LOL I've been too afraid to join for the last year after seeing the roasting most newbies get :p

And of course it was tongue in cheek ;)

It just proved an opportunity to stick in some real points about their awful replays and the commentary which IMO is getting worse than Andy Gray's geriatric ramblings.

Last edited:
Don
IceBus said:
LOL I've been too afraid to join for the last year after seeing the roasting most newbies get :p

didn't know the fans had taken that up as well as the players now :eek:

IceBus said:
And of course it was tongue in cheek ;)

Shall I write in and complain that they keep referring to Peter Crouch as tall ? :p

Associate
I'm pretty sure it was on 5 Live and the commentator said something along the lines of "Ruud Van Nistelrooy's face is looking even longer that usual whilst he's sat on the bench."

Soldato
GhostFace said:
I'm pretty sure it was on 5 Live and the commentator said something along the lines of "Ruud Van Nistelrooy's face is looking even longer that usual whilst he's sat on the bench."

Yeah i heard that as well. Carling Cup final wasn't it? I also think it was Alan Green or Lawrenson who said it. Pathetic and downright un-professional! :rolleyes:

Associate
fozzybear said:
Yeah i heard that as well. Carling Cup final wasn't it? I also think it was Alan Green or Lawrenson who said it. Pathetic and downright un-professional! :rolleyes:

considering RVN was being paid something like 50k to sit down on a bench i don't think he'll complain tbh.

seriously lads lighten up, fans chant far worse things, you think a player really cares what ppl think about how they look, its all part of the game.

as for linekar i find there jokes and humerous comments on MOTD extremly funny, they brighten up often dull games.

Don
fozzybear said:

he does have a long face , just as Lineker has big ears , Thompson a big nose and Crouch is lanky and Gary Neville ***** his ............

oops scrap the last one :p

Associate
GhostFace said:

lol. :)

cups.jpg

Back
Top Bottom