Moto GP Crash Horrific :-(

Soldato
Has anyone seen Faster the 2011 movie?

I can't remember the name of the Australian racer but he use to get the back out all the time sliding about and riding like a loon ala Stoner.
He use to battle it out with Wayne Rainey didn't he? In that movie I think its them two, the aussie rider says he was talking to Rainey and this was after his crash I think that left him in a wheel chair. Rainey said it doesn't look like you are enjoying racing any more if you aren't enjoying it you shouldn't be doing it. That along with the tragic accident that left Rainey in that wheel chair helped him in his decision to retire from racing.

I am not 100% sure if it was that aussie guy but it was def Wayne and I instantly thought of this after that accident.
I am unsure how much Rossi is enjoying racing now doesn't seem to be himself at all the last year or two has been awful he has just unfortunately been directly involved in an accident that see a very close friend get killed.
If retiring doesn't cross his mind I would not be surprised. Yes they are racers and they know the risks but seeing the risks first hand and being involved is completely different.

*edit*

After a quick google it wasn't that Australian guy but Kevin Schwantz

He culminated his career in 1993 by winning his first and only 500cc World Championship.[2] After suffering through a crash infested 1994 season, the injuries he had incurred over the years began to take their toll on him,[2] as did the career ending injuries suffered by his rival Rainey, at the 1993 Italian Grand Prix that left him paralyzed from the chest down. Early in the 1995 season, after a conversation with Rainey,[5] Schwantz decided to retire from motorcycle competition.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not seen the film but sounds like Kevin Schwantz who was American.

Tbh Rossi should take some time and think about his future, he's won it all and unless Ducati turn things around hugely with the 1000s next season he's not on a competitive bike and is having to wring the neck off it as shown by the amount of times he's crashed this season. Does he really need to carry on just being an also ran and risking his health?

Not a decision to be made in the heat of the moment though, he's got sometime in the close season to think about that. Not sure what Dorna will do about the final round in Valencia now, doesn't seem right really to run it, no one is going to want to be there.

Last edited:
Associate
Actually - I wouldnt be at all surprised if Rossi quits. Its one thing losing a close friend in racing, its another thing entirely having an involvement in the accident.

Rossi and Edwards must be devastated.

This quote is taken from Steve Parrish's BBC Column

However, I do think they will ride in Valencia for the final race in two weeks time because it will be a big tribute to Marco Simoncelli if they did.

My first thoughts - and this is absolutely my own gut feeling - are that Valentino Rossi could now retire. I know he will be mortified by Marco's death. They were close friends and had been for a long, long time.

He was involved in the accident and it will be very hard for him to cope with it...

Full column here..... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motogp/15421404.stm

One

One

Soldato
Not seen the film but sounds like Kevin Schwantz who was American.

Tbh Rossi should take some time and think about his future, he's won it all and unless Ducati turn things around hugely with the 1000s next season he's not on a competitive bike and is having to wring the neck off it as shown by the amount of times he's crashed this season. Does he really need to carry on just being an also ran and risking his health?

Not a decision to be made in the heat of the moment though, he's got sometime in the close season to think about that. Not sure what Dorna will do about the final round in Valencia now, doesn't seem right really to run it, no one is going to want to be there.

Valencia will run, there is too much money involved not to. Heck they even raced at Monaco after Sennas death!

Soldato
Yeah unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if he retires now or Edwards both on the wrong end of their career and both have reasons to now more than ever.

I can't imagine what either must be feeling now it's something I hope I never have to go through.

Soldato
MotoGP should abandon the season. There is nothing but sadness from today and the riders should be given time to grieve.

Marco was the future and was such a wonderful character to watch. I can't believe how sad I am for him. He seemed to transcend the screen, like Rossi, and I am so upset we will no longer share in his successes.

One

One

Soldato
Yeah unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if he retires now or Edwards both on the wrong end of their career and both have reasons to now more than ever.

I can't imagine what either must be feeling now it's something I hope I never have to go through.

When i watched it live Colin looked distraught pacing about after he had come off, there was one shot where he was just sat cross legged helmet slumped :(

Associate
a couple of races back, the commentators on Eurosport where joking about that very same thing, how does he get a helmet to fit with all that hair, which has turned out to be sadly prophetic.

RIP Marco, such a bloody shame. :(

I think the strap broke under the load rather than the helmet being a poor fit, the footage showed a single long strap flailing from the helmet connected one side only I believe, video has disappeared.

Tragic, one of my favourite riders. RIP.

Soldato
Horrible horrible accident, RIP Marco, a true talent who was making definite moves from fast but crashing a lot to a serious race/championship winning contender. My condolences to his friends and family.

Back
Top Bottom