Moto GP Crash Horrific :-(

Soldato
What does look strange from the replays is what exactly happened to Marco which caused the accident, he was hanging off the side of the bike which caused it to swerve across the track and down in front of Vale and Colin.

Didn't look like the usual sort of lowside as he would have slid outside of the corner onto the grass.

Associate
Watching it live on BBC i thought for a split second that his head could still be inside his helmet as it rolled across the grass.

Feel sorry for his family especially his dad who was watching the race trackside, but would have been with him at the end in the medical centre.

RIP Marco :(

Associate
What does look strange from the replays is what exactly happened to Marco which caused the accident, he was hanging off the side of the bike which caused it to swerve across the track and down in front of Vale and Colin.

Didn't look like the usual sort of lowside as he would have slid outside of the corner onto the grass.

Watching live (they didn't show many replys and I frankly don't want to see them) it was a low-side but Marco tried to save it lifting the bike with his knee just enough for the back wheel to bite, unfortunately by that time he was point across the track and the bike zipped back in that direction.

Its been a sad week for Motor sport :(

Associate
From the MotoGP coverage on iplayer, there's a replay from Bautista's front camera that shows Marco losing the front at the apex of turn 11. Instead of wiping out, the bike keeps on turning right with Simoncelli not able to let go.

And it shows the crash, so be warned.

Soldato
I am gutted absolutely devastated not much that actually makes me cry but Simoncelli was such an amazing character and the crash was awful. Really brings it home how dangerous this sport is.

RIP Simoncelli

VoG

VoG

Soldato
one of my first thoughts was "no way his helmet should have come off, poor helmet design!" but I guess all that hair is going to influence the fit.

a couple of races back, the commentators on Eurosport where joking about that very same thing, how does he get a helmet to fit with all that hair, which has turned out to be sadly prophetic.

RIP Marco, such a bloody shame. :(

One

One

Soldato
a couple of races back, the commentators on Eurosport where joking about that very same thing, how does he get a helmet to fit with all that hair, which has turned out to be sadly prophetic.

RIP Marco, such a bloody shame. :(

They have straps under the chin, i think the force of rossis bike on his head probably broke the strap or just forced the helmet off his head. I don't think his hair would have had anything to do with it.

About 50 minutes on iPlayer for a replay of the crash. Simoncelli was a really fun racer to watch, it's a real loss to the sport. He was just starting to get poles and podiums, i think it was only a matter of time before race wins and maybe even a championship. It's a shame that lowside kept gripping and going right.

Most bad crashes in MotoGP happen when riders get crashed into by other riders. It was only last year that a similar kind of accident happened which ended up with broken bones.

Soldato
One of the other riders thought it had been red flagged due to rain, so it's possible the track could have been damp and he just lost control.

Only him and Dovisoso (sp?) chose to use hard tyres so had to take it easy for the few two laps, looks like it didn't prove well.

RIP

Associate
I'll be honest, it sounds as if it was anything but 'quick', the reports make it sound like he was still alive but in critical condition when he was taken to the medical facilities.

RIP

Still I doubt if Marco was in any pain, although he's reported as being conscious I doubt if he really was. I suspect that he was dead or very close to death within seconds of the impact. I'd like to believe his last moments were free from pain and fear.

Back
Top Bottom