Moto X+1... let the hype-beasting begin!

Soldato
OP
I need a North American version with the right LTE bands mate - supposedly T-Mobile USA will be getting "at some point", lol.

Can't believe Moto have messed up so badly... it's hard being a Moto fanboy :(

Soldato
Quite tempted to pick up a Droid Maxx on eBay now when I get home, just got to wait for Verizon to bring out the latest version and can probably grab one for $250-300 in almost new condition.

No way could justify it at the ridiculous $299 on contract or $650 new price but pretty attractive at half that, 32Gb, massive battery, decent screen, Moto extras, solid camera and wireless charging ticks a lot of boxes.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really think The Verge reviews are lackluster lately, find myself disagreeing with them more often then not. There's no way the phone deserves an 8.8 when they admit it has worse battery life then every other flagship out there, the camera isn't up to much, and the speaker setup is below par. They also gave the 360 a much better review then seems justified looking at other reports on the problems.

Battery life is worse but its not bad, I would have liked more but its pretty close to the iPhone and as with most things thats the gold standard for the verge. I also think most of the points are for software which is basically stock + great changes and not touchwizz junk, quick updates, and awesome hardware. For them build/software are more important then most other things which examples how they review things.

Soldato
Battery life is worse but its not bad, I would have liked more but its pretty close to the iPhone and as with most things thats the gold standard for the verge. I also think most of the points are for software which is basically stock + great changes and not touchwizz junk, quick updates, and awesome hardware. For them build/software are more important then most other things which examples how they review things.

+1 I think we all would like more juice in terms of battery life.

Timely updates, fast and fluid performance is what counts and this device has it as well as decent build.

If you can get over the size issue (which isn't too far off the G2) and perceived battery life and you basically have a very good phone.

Associate
Looks like HTC will be getting my money...

Or maybe Sony if the Z3 makes it out over here quickly...

I had a HTC One M7 before my current Moto X. One M7 was a great phone and would be still using it BUT it broke and went back to HTC repair center 3 times and is still broke. Kind of really put me off them now.

It's always been hard being a Motorola fan boy :eek:

I really think The Verge reviews are lackluster lately, find myself disagreeing with them more often then not. There's no way the phone deserves an 8.8 when they admit it has worse battery life then every other flagship out there, the camera isn't up to much, and the speaker setup is below par. They also gave the 360 a much better review then seems justified looking at other reports on the problems.

You and the hundred comments below the review. But yes, their scoring is a bit iffy. Scoring is always a bit subjective anyway.

If the next Nexus is really 6'' or so, I definitely want one of these. It's a better size although I question why the battery is so small.

I read recently some 'speculation' that there may be two, one with a 5.2" screen and one with 5.9"

http://bgr.com/2014/08/28/nexus-x-rumors-display-sizes/

The Moto X lies about signal in my experience.

In my area, it will die for a good 3 minutes (i.e. no signal at all) when an iPhone next to it gets 3 bars/dots.

Not been my experience at all. Working in a small area in the sticks today where every phone I've ever had loses signal. It's even marked on Three's coverage map as having no service and yet every time I'm in that area the Moto X hangs onto signal and can still make and receive calls.

Associate
So battery life not brilliant and screen not all that bright which old Moto X wasn't either in bright sun light. In full sun I generally shade my Moto X which is probably the case for most phones.

Soldato
+1, 5" is the sweet spot and if your going to go bigger at least use that space to stick in a nice sized battery.

I'm really hoping the new Nexus is 5" 1080p OLED panel, personally 32gb is enough for me and hopefully battery size is bigger given that the current 5 is 2300mha.

Soldato
After reading the Phone Arena review I'll skip the phone as well as battery life is very important to me. I can't be dealing with a phone that is on par with the N5 which is extremely poor in my opinion.

I still want a phone with stock Android so the Nexus device is my only hope however knowing Google they'll botch up the battery somehow.

I can always fallback on the Z3c but that doesn't run stock and won't be getting updates as fast. Why oh why Moto did you have to cripple the X with such a poor battery?

Soldato
After reading the Phone Arena review I'll skip the phone as well as battery life is very important to me. I can't be dealing with a phone that is on par with the N5 which is extremely poor in my opinion.

I still want a phone with stock Android so the Nexus device is my only hope however knowing Google they'll botch up the battery somehow.

I can always fallback on the Z3c but that doesn't run stock and won't be getting updates as fast. Why oh why Moto did you have to cripple the X with such a poor battery?

Yep, totally feel your pain here. The N5's battery life is not good enough and I worry that we won't see any phones running stock that have large batteries. I'm actually considering GPE-flashing my M8 because it seems like that's the only way. But it's such a hassle....

Soldato
HTC almost had my money, its just the phone is so tall, and going back to sense form GPE seems like a lot of work, and as I typically sell phones after I'm done with them it could become and issue.

Soldato
Yep, totally feel your pain here. The N5's battery life is not good enough and I worry that we won't see any phones running stock that have large batteries. I'm actually considering GPE-flashing my M8 because it seems like that's the only way. But it's such a hassle....

I hear what you're saying and it's a good move as the M8 battery life is damn good. The N5 is crap without a question when it comes to battery life. I tried the M8 but I went through 5 handsets and they all had some kind of hardware issue so I had to scrap that idea.

HTC almost had my money, its just the phone is so tall, and going back to sense form GPE seems like a lot of work, and as I typically sell phones after I'm done with them it could become and issue.

Yes true it is a tall phone and it got on my nerves ergonomically. It was also a little heavy. It's not easy switching back from GPE to Sense if you need to sell it on later. However GPE on the M8 flies!

Back
Top Bottom