Moto X+1... let the hype-beasting begin!

Associate
Totally agree, the battery is only 100mAh more than the old X but now has a much bigger screen. The old Moto X was already known for it poor battery. No matter how good the battery optimisation is, I can't see it competing with high capacity.

Interested to see the battery test but I think Moto dropped the ball on this one

Not so sure the old X is that bad at eating through its battery. Often as not mine will have 40% left after a 17 hour day. This would be with about 1.5 hours screen on time though, calls, email, web browsing when bored :D weather and news apps etc etc. There are though a lot of 'depends' there and everyones set up will be different.

But no matter what that screen is a lot bigger on the new X and runs at a higher res too. Looks a concern to me. It's nearly always screen use that burns through battery. I expected a bigger battery as competitors seem to be going down that road. We'll await hands on reviews.

Can't help but think the new X has a battle on its hands with new phones coming along in the next quarter?

Associate
The original Moto X seemed to have a pretty good battery life in the few weeks that I had one and Motorola claim the new version has a more power efficient processor and screen so it should be ok.

Associate
We're probably second guessing Motorola on the battery size. We'll get a better idea soon.

But yes, I've had my X since Feb this year and battery has never been a worry. Been and still is a good phone and on that alone I've an interest in 'New Moto X'. No hurry to buy a new phone though :D

Caporegime
Off course, but a 3000mha battery will give you 30% more battery life on top of all that optimisation. And most other phones in that size have a much bigger battery.

Exactly. Why reduce it? Is one of the biggest issues with anything like this. Battery.
5in screen? I will not accept less than 3000mAh
Push the resolution up too and things get worse

Weak signal, GPS, long on screen time...
They all require significant battery power
If a phone can't get me 150miles on GPS navigation it's not for me

Soldato
Got to admit, increasing screen size and not touching the battery really put me off this phone. The MotoX had good but definitely not great battery, and as other flagships are focusing on battery Moto seem to be missing the point.

Soldato
OP
Yeah with a phone that size, at least a 2600 mAh battery would have been acceptable (like the M8).

You have to wonder what exactly is taking up all the space on the inside if not the battery.

And remember, Motorola are the company that used to make batteries that were this awesome:

tIQakG5.jpg

Caporegime
So.. Main issues

Battery.. Stupidly small
Storage.. Stupidly small compounded with no expansion
Speaker.. Sub par and not plural

Too many issues.. Its gonna flop with its limited marketing and brand momentum

I say it time and again
It's not like it's missing the latest new tech
Big batteries exist
Storage is so easy to increase its crazy
Speaker.. Again.. Stereo forward exists..

To make the ideal phone.. Its all out there

Last edited:
Associate
So.. Main issues

Battery.. Stupidly small
Storage.. Stupidly small compounded with no expansion
Speaker.. Sub par and not plural

Too many issues.. Its gonna flop with its limited marketing and brand momentum

I say it time and again
It's not like it's missing the latest new tech
Big batteries exist
Storage is so easy to increase its crazy
Speaker.. Again.. Stereo forward exists..

To make the ideal phone.. Its all out there

Oh well - see what the Motorola Nexus X is like (should there be such a phone :confused: )

Soldato
It's 100% not stereo.
LAME! :o

How could they flop so hard. Make it appeal to the masses, instead they've limited their target market. Large phone, smallish battery, low on storage options. Mono speaker. If they had sorted these issues they would have had a real easy seller.

Soldato
Looks like it's the biggest phone flop on these forums for a while. What's amusing is Motorola finally release a flagship on-time in the UK and it's not very good. :D

Soldato
Looks like it's the biggest phone flop on these forums for a while. What's amusing is Motorola finally release a flagship on-time in the UK and it's not very good. :D

I think they caved in and just joined the masses. The things that made the Moto X great where the size, it was very small for even a 4.7" device, now its just another 5.2" device, and bigger then an ideal 5.2" device like the G2:
Moto x 2014: 140.8 x 72.4 x 10 mm
G2: 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9 mm

They also dropped their custom SoC it seems, although I've not ready much on it, it jsut seems like a standard S801. batter is really small, other devices in that category manage to fit in 3000mha pretty easily. I think it looks worse, that huge logo in the back is pretty ugly.

They have managed to take almost everything that made the Moto X unique and **** on it.

You still get great software, some very useful Android tweak, prompt updates.

Soldato
Shame it's so much more expensive than the old Moto X, I have a Moto G and would have been up for an upgrade to the new Moto X, but I'm on giffgaff so would need to buy sim free, and £420 vs £250 is a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom