*** Motorola Moto X Style/Play Thread ***

Underboss
need some help please guys :)

Is there anyway of taking a photo and having the date and time on the picture? as I'm taking evidence at the moment

if you cant do it via the Google photos, or the inbuilt software/camera, perhaps another camera app might do it ?

cheers

oh, I have a moto X Play

Associate
Moto Z on Amazon for pre order...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-M...e=UTF8&qid=1471106941&sr=1-24&keywords=moto+z

£610 :eek::eek: Looks too expensive even if it did appeal. Add in Moto Mods and it's looking very expensive. May be a mistake as Clove mentioned £490ish. It might be an OK phone but too small battery without buying a battery MM, no stereo speakers and that chin is hideous. Probably too thin to be comfortable? Looks like no Moto Z Force release for UK so Lenovo can go do one. :D

Associate
I see the Moto Z and Moto Z Play are now available in UK? No interest here I see :D Not interested myself which probably makes my Moto X my last one. To me the Z is too expensive, more so when you start buying Moto Mods. I also can't get that huge chin housing fingerprint sensor and no stereo speakers.

Soldato
The Z Play is looking like a great alternative to the Pixel devices if it rings true about the prices being high.

Aside from the camera not being up there with high end devices (to be expected for a mid range device) everything else about the Z Play looks great.

Am seriously considering it as I'm done paying through the nose for high end devices when the mid rangers as just as good performance wise.

Associate
I was also holding out for the new Nexus lineup but felt increasingly lukewarm with the Pixel changes leaked in recent weeks. My Nexus 4 was dying so I had a look at other Android options.

I've had the Moto Z Play for about a week now and am pretty pleased with it.

Pros:

1. Immense battery life. The phone was fully charged when I left for work on Monday morning and by Tuesday evening it was still above 40% with wifi and bluetooth always on. I probably could have got 3 full days out of it but charged it when it went below 40% out of habit. Turbocharge is handy too;
2. Snappy, stock Android performance. Motorola add in their Moto suite of actions for switching on the camera, flashlight, etc which can be disabled. Otherwise it's stock 6 with Nougat upgrade due soon;
3. Solid and premium feel. The 1080p AMOLED screen on the Play (the full Z has a 1440p AMOLED) is crisp and vibrant. The styling may not be everyone's cup of tea but I prefer it over the leaked Pixel design;
4. Decent camera. Huge upgrade over my Nexus 4 and it's quick. Apparently it's lagging behind the top cameras on other flagships and isn't as good as the camera on the full Moto Z. Pictures look great in good light and you can tweak a lot of settings in the camera app's Professional mode.

Cons:

1. It's big and fairly heavy. Again, coming from a Nexus 4 it's a huge jump in size. A family member recently upgraded to a Moto G4 which also has a 5.5 1080p screen (although not AMOLED) and the Moto G4 is a lot lighter and more compact. The Z Play feels just that 10-15% too big for me to use comfortably one-handed although that feeling will probably pass in a couple of weeks.

Another option to consider would be the Moto 4G Plus imo if you're looking for a stock Android mid-range option. If you order it direct from Motorola you can spec it with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage and it still works out about £100 cheaper than the Z Play. The Plus comes with a fingerprint reader and the same camera as the Z Play I believe.

Having played with a Moto 4G now I'd probably have gone that route instead based on the size practicalities. That said, the Z Play is a lovely phone in use if you can handle the size.

Soldato
The Z Play is in the OnePlus 3 price territory and I just can't see why you'd go for one other than the extra 500mAh and sd slot.

The OP3 has a ton more processing power and much nicer design, a bit more compact and great software addons. Plus dual SIM if that matters.

Soldato
Thanks for the mini review BrynS - makes for good reading.

The OP3 is a great phone too kona and if it had a micro sd card slot I would have jumped at buying one but sadly it doesn't.

I need to have at hand my extensive multimedia collection and the inclusion of the micro sd slot is a massive plus for me.

The exceptional battery life is top priority for me and I value that over anything else when looking to buy a new device.

I also like Moto or Lenovo's take on Android.

The OP3 is a great phone too kona and if it had a micro sd card slot I would have jumped at buying one but sadly it doesn't.

Last edited:
Associate
I replaced my X Play with a OnePlus 3 and it's a significant step up!

The lack of SD slot doesn't bother me as I've only ever had 16GB phones. In fact trying to get the X Play to properly utilise the 32GB SD card I put in it was a pain in the bottom. Very happy with my 64GB OP3 :)

Soldato
^That's all well and good and I'm glad that you are happy with the OP3.

However comparing a midrange phone with last year's SoC with a phone that has flagship SoC 2016 is grossly unfair.

Secondly people have differing needs in terms of storage and can easily fill up 64Gb plus!!

Soldato
Apparently so. It's a beast in the battery life department.

Shame Moto are dragging their heals releasing the phone via other retailers here.

It's on backorder on the Moto site with expected delivery around 6th October.

Soldato
Update: Clove and Handtec will have stock tomorrow.

I've just placed an order with Clove and it should be with me on Wednesday. I can't wait as I really enjoyed using the Motorola X Play.

Soldato
Be interested to hear how you get on with it. Ill be coming from a Nexus 6P myself.

Will defo let you know Mate. Was going to get one of the new Pixel devices but the possibility of the devices being sold at a premium price put me off.

Am also realising that if I can accept certain compromises say in the camera department however in return experience a smooth and lag free experience why bother paying through the nose for flagship devices.

I had a S7 Edge and it wasn't all that. TWiz really bothers me and I found it bogged down the phone and held it back. However in terms of camera and battery life the S7 Edge was spot on although it's certainly not worth paying over £550.

Last edited:
Associate
^That's all well and good and I'm glad that you are happy with the OP3.

However comparing a midrange phone with last year's SoC with a phone that has flagship SoC 2016 is grossly unfair.

Secondly people have differing needs in terms of storage and can easily fill up 64Gb plus!!

Wasn't aware I was comparing the two as equals!

And agreed, the point of my post was that people have differing needs. For me 64GB is a load more storage than I've ever had, so it's brilliant. Obviously you're used to having more storage available so want to have more available :)

Back
Top Bottom