*** Motorola Moto X Style/Play Thread ***

Associate
Will the Moto X Style be OK for double speed 4G from EE (4G+) ? I am not sure what band functionality it needs to have to work on EE 4G+

I checked the EE website and they do not list the X Style as an option for a PAYG or Pay Monthly contract so that got me thinking if it would work on the EE 4G+ service.

Associate
@Richy888 ...The 32Gb can be had for £233 when you factor in the various discounts and Topcashback..

stoosh,

Would you please be able to tell me what websites I need to go to for the discounts and TopCashBack? I have never used these services before and £233 sounds like a very good price for a brand new 32gb Moto X Style.

Thx
Bintos

Soldato
Play surprised me a little in that battery wasn't as good as I was expecting. Decent enough stop gap until you see something that will do the job. I thought you maybe meant other oem's. Style should do me for this year or at least to backend. SWMBO has an eye on my phone expenditure though the 2014 Moto x l had for over a year. The Play only 3 months as wasn't keen on it. Family member borrowed it as sent their samsung for repair. Once I get it back I'll sell it and put funds to next phone :D

Need to get a few more posts in here for members market, otherwise it'll be eBay :eek:

Oh wow I'm surprised that the battery isn't as good. Great to hear that the device is a decent enough stop gap until something good comes out. I would like to have a near stock experience at a very decent price. Think you might be able to get a decent price for the X Play as there isn't very many of those devices selling on Ebay.

Get your posts up! MM beckons for you Dude! :p

stoosh,

Would you please be able to tell me what websites I need to go to for the discounts and TopCashBack? I have never used these services before and £233 sounds like a very good price for a brand new 32gb Moto X Style.

Thx
Bintos

£233 doesn't apply to the X Style after discounts - that's for the X Play.

The discounts you need are listed on the previous posts and there's always the UKWELCOME10 to be added.

You need to be a member of Topcashback to get the necessary cashback for the transaction. Topcashback.co.uk is the website you need.

Associate
Oh wow I'm surprised that the battery isn't as good. Great to hear that the device is a decent enough stop gap until something good comes out. I would like to have a near stock experience at a very decent price. Think you might be able to get a decent price for the X Play as there isn't very many of those devices selling on Ebay.

Get your posts up! MM beckons for you Dude! :p

I need to get it back but have heard family member has got the Samsung back. It's dual sim as well so should sell.

I've been really pleased with battery life of the Style. Some on xda moan they can't get half a day with light usage. I must have got a faulty one as can get 4 hours SOT and last the day with ease. On standby it's way better than the Play.

Associate
I got the 6.0.1 update for my X Play today. It stopped working properly with my car's bluetooth after the 6.0 update but it works again after today's update \o/

Associate
Moto X Style still on 6.0 though security patch level now on Feb 2016 from an update a while ago.

Been running fine until last week when it refused to load Android Auto and connect to the pioneer head unit in my truck. It kept trying to update installed apps, Google, Google Music and Google maps to name three. Tried everything even un-installing the apps and android auto itself. As I use it quite a bit I ended up resetting the phone. That seems to have sorted it though battery consumption seems a little higher than it was. Maybe that'll settle down?

Associate
The headphone jack on my Z3 is on the blink - very annoying considering I was planning to keep the phone. I could attempt to fix it but having seen a guide, I'm not sure the phone would ever be the same again.

So I've been looking at replacements and the Moto X Style is on my radar.

I would definitely like a bigger screen than I have (I miss my old OPO and Note 2 for that).

Other priorities are photography and music. Apparently the Moto does really well at the latter according to tests, with good volume and quality. Photography on the other hand, as with most phones, does well in good light, but it seems fairly poor in low light.

Battery life is fairly important, and it would seem slightly underpowered (especially compared to my physically smaller, lower res Z3 that has the same size battery).

Anyone who's had the phone for a while still recommend it? It's £290 at John Lewis with 2 years warranty, so its only £40 more than a OnePlus Two (with its non-existant CS).

Associate
The headphone jack on my Z3 is on the blink - very annoying considering I was planning to keep the phone. I could attempt to fix it but having seen a guide, I'm not sure the phone would ever be the same again.

So I've been looking at replacements and the Moto X Style is on my radar.

I would definitely like a bigger screen than I have (I miss my old OPO and Note 2 for that).

Other priorities are photography and music. Apparently the Moto does really well at the latter according to tests, with good volume and quality. Photography on the other hand, as with most phones, does well in good light, but it seems fairly poor in low light.

Battery life is fairly important, and it would seem slightly underpowered (especially compared to my physically smaller, lower res Z3 that has the same size battery).

Anyone who's had the phone for a while still recommend it? It's £290 at John Lewis with 2 years warranty, so its only £40 more than a OnePlus Two (with its non-existant CS).

It's still a good enough phone. I find battery not bad and gets through every day for me. Don't have any lag and find it quick enough. Camera good in good light but so so when it gets darker. Speakers are good (for a phone) and display is bright and sharp. Not a Samsung amoled mind. Probably not as good as a Samsung GS7 but quite a bit cheaper. Not the best maybe but far from the worst :cool:

Associate
Modular.

http://1u88jj3r4db2x4txp44yqfj1.wpe...p-content/uploads/2016/05/motox16-930x636.jpg
Just like last year, Motorola is preparing multiple Android handsets to be sold under the flagship Moto X brand, a person who was briefed on the plans told VentureBeat.

The two all-metal phones look similar enough that images of them — leaked yesterday by HelloMotoHK on Google+ — were widely reported to be of a single device. While there are many internal and external differences between the so-called Vertex (pictured left) and Vector Thin (pictured right), they share one important attribute: compatibility with an ecosystem of modular, swappable backplates that endow the phones with significant additional functionality.

Interestingly enough, we got a look at their design way back in December, with a leak whose veracity was widely questioned at the time, but which turned out to be a very accurate depiction.

http://1u88jj3r4db2x4txp44yqfj1.wpe...content/uploads/2016/05/da3a58572a3c176-1.jpg
Sleek and powerful

Both models feature 5.5-inch AMOLED displays, but otherwise, their spec sheets read completely differently, according to the person who shared the details. Vector Thin is the decidedly higher-end handset, with a Quad HD resolution to Vertex’s Full HD display, and a slightly lower-clocked version of Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 820 system-on-chip (2.0GHz quad core) to its sibling’s Snapdragon 625 (an octa core chip reportedly clocked at 2.4GHz instead of the stock 2.0GHz).

Vector Thin will ship with 32GB of storage capacity in conjunction with either 3GB or 4GB of RAM, while Vertex will allegedly come in either 16GB storage / 2GB RAM or 32GB storage / 3GB RAM configurations. Camera configurations are also said to differ. Vertex purportedly sports a 16-megapixel sensor with both laser-assisted and phase detection autofocus technologies, while Vector’s 13-megapixel sensor has only the laser AF, but with optical image stabilization thrown in too.

Externally, the only major difference, as its name suggests, is Vector Thin’s incredibly svelte profile: at 5.2 millimeters thick, it’s even slimmer than Vertex’s already respectable thickness of about 7mm. As you might suspect, Vector’s thinness comes at the price of reduced battery capacity: It contains just a 2600mAh cell, compared to the 3500mAh pack in the less-pixel-dense Vertex.

Modular done right

The bigger story here starts with those 16 holes seen on the back of the white Vertex, above. While they’ve been written off in some coverage as speaker ports, they are actually connection pins that allow modular backplates to be snapped onto either handset.

Motorola has at least six modules, called “Amps,” planned for launch, including a simple colored backplate that ships free with both handsets. The more interesting ones will be, of course, sold separately, both from Moto as well as third-party manufacturers. The first-party modules available at launch allegedly include stereo speakers; a battery pack; a camera grip with flash and optical zoom; a pico projector; and a rugged cover with wide angle lens attachment.

It should now be clear that the phones’ protruding camera lens will actually sit flush when there are Amps attached. They’re connected magnetically in a manner that was said to make for a tight, secure connection while also allowing for easy removal.

This modular system, and the one introduced by LG with the LG G5, are undoubtedly similar and will prompt comparisons in the press. And despite being first to market, LG is very likely going to come out on the losing end of these evaluations. Focusing so tightly on offering a removable battery seems to have hamstrung the Korean manufacturer into a form factor not nearly as well-suited for the task as Motorola’s.

While pricing and release details aren’t yet known for the Moto X pair (nor their likely doppelgängers on Verizon, the Droid Turbo 3 and Droid Maxx 3), the date on the renders, August 24, may prove significant. [Update: Droid-Life is reporting that these will launch on June 9th at Lenovo Tech World.]

http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/09/m...-x-flagships-with-a-modular-backplate-design/

Associate
Why has the more powerful phone with a qhd screen only got a 2600mah battery?! Madness! The batteries should be the other way around.

You didnt see they're offering a battery pack as part of the modular system:rolleyes:;)
5.2mm thick so even when you add the battery pack it doesnt feel bulky like some other phones out there.

But yeah strange decisions.

Associate
Why has the more powerful phone with a qhd screen only got a 2600mah battery?! Madness! The batteries should be the other way around.

They did that last time giving the smaller res X Play a bigger battery than the QHD X Style?

If you want lego then buy lego. It's a phone after all. Samsung seem able to make slimish phones with decent sized battery. I could be wrong but I think my current Moto will be my last. Silly modules aside I don't like the look of the renders.

Soldato
This whole modular thing really does not appeal - I just do not get it. Also this looks pretty terrible -Nexus 6 and moto x 2014 looked good... How have they gone downhill so much?

Caporegime
This whole modular thing really does not appeal - I just do not get it. Also this looks pretty terrible -Nexus 6 and moto x 2014 looked good... How have they gone downhill so much?

Modules should be what you can't fit in rather than what you can take out to make more money with
Or transferable to next gen.. Which won't happen

Back
Top Bottom