Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
There is already a formula car like this.

https://goo.gl/images/gVsPcc
Precisely, F1 is supposed to be a pinnacle which is expensive. I say let it develop and reach its inevitable cost limit with 6 cars on track. Then maybe we can get out of this loop that F1 is stuck in. When that happens people can watch other formulae and wonder why we don't make the cars faster.
Quite a web of needs from all sides here, who do we try to satisfy, the fans who pay, the governing body, the rights holders, the teams maybe the drivers.
In the words of the great Neddy Seagoon "it's all rather confusing really".
Andi.

Soldato
On the Ferrari rumours (hardly even that) I'm not convinced there's much in it here. It's PlanetF1, hardly a respected source of facts, and that whole article reads like they have an axe to grind, and they're quoting a German article (is there a German team on the grid that would benefit?).

Until we hear anything to the contrary I'm going to assume there's nothing in it, someone is throwing accusations around hoping something sticks, or someone has been tipped off by an inside job (Mercedes have been indirectly/inadvertently involved in an instance of that already).

Soldato
Red Bull were disqualified from a race at the beginning of 2016 (I think!) when they said that their own measurements of fuel flow disagreed with the official measurements and were swiftly kicked out of the race. If Ferrari are found to have completely bypassed the official sensors then that's a far more heinous crime and should really see them have all points removed as long as they've been doing it. Although to bypass the sensors, why wasn't this picked up in scrutineering before?

Yep - Ricciardo disqualified, giving McLaren a double podium in the first race of the V6 era and setting a downward trend ever since!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
On the Ferrari rumours (hardly even that) I'm not convinced there's much in it here. It's PlanetF1, hardly a respected source of facts, and that whole article reads like they have an axe to grind, and they're quoting a German article (is there a German team on the grid that would benefit?).

Until we hear anything to the contrary I'm going to assume there's nothing in it, someone is throwing accusations around hoping something sticks, or someone has been tipped off by an inside job (Mercedes have been indirectly/inadvertently involved in an instance of that already).

Having read the article in Auto Motor Und Sport where PF1 got their info from...yeesh. I've seen some pretty thin accusations of cheating over the years with this sport, and this ranks right up there with them. And then this lovely passage:

Auto Motor Und Sport said:
What is suspicious, however, is that Ferrari has recently agreed to all rule changes that the World Federation wants to push through. All coincidence or anticipatory obedience? Regardless of whether it is about the aerodynamic rules for 2019 or the omission of the MGU-H in the engines for 2021: In both cases, Ferrari is surprisingly against their own interests and does FIA and F1 management a favor. "For the good of the sport and the show," says Maranello. The opponents fear that Ferrari could buy an acquittal with it. Are these just the usual conspiracy theories or are you doing everything to prevent a scandal?

Yeah. Okay. I think this Michael Schmidt character might be off his meds...

Man of Honour
It'll be very interesting to see if anything, at all, happens. It is curious that they suddenly fell inline with the new rules having been threatening to walk away, but I suspect concessions were made.

Man of Honour
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44155600

A pity they couldn't ban halo itself, but this is entirely sensible.
The halo isn't going anywhere after stopping a driver getting pancaked.

Image1.jpg

Caporegime
Keep the mounting points and strength requirements the same but let the teams develop their own. Then we might see some unique designs that are more integrated into the car design.

Soldato
A screen on its own isn't going to provide any strength though, the LMP cars have a full cage behind the screen, so you are still going to require something substantial around the top to keep heavy impacts at bay.

Back
Top Bottom