Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Don

JRS

JRS

Soldato
That ones interesting, the cars will handle terribly if they go on the car cold.

Rather depends on the construction of the tyre of course. And moving to lower-profile tyres gives them the opportunity to mitigate against that.

On the one hand, I can see a few upsides to this move. Makes the tyres more road-relevant for starters. But narrowing the front wheels is obviously going to reduce grip right where these cars really need more grip, and the whole thing about the contract being 13in tyres for one year and 18s thereafter is ******* dumb. Just extend Pirelli's current contract one year, and tender for 2021-onwards.

Soldato
And basically because the tender doesn't coincide with the rule changes its only likely to be pirelli as no one else is going to develop the current 13" tyre for 1 year.

Another stupid mistake by the fia. With no tire blankets the cars will have to do more laps to warm them up.
Thinner front tires will make less grip. I don't understand why the fia are doing this.

All they had to to do was to get rid of aerodynamics and have mechanical grip\ground effect.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I think it would look weird, but it works for Formula E being more road relevant. Agree with JRS, fronts needn't be so narrow, this is another road-relevant proposal but they should scrap that part. Tyres will heat faster being lower profile and there will be a new technical war on suspension as they will lose some ability to lean on the tyre in that area with the pressures etc. Could be an interesting change and it's certainly worth testing.

The time disparity in the regs changes and the tyre proposal is surely engineered to keep Pirelli in this position but for them to be seen to giving others the opportunity, bit like companies putting job specs out to the wider masses when really they have already selected an internal candidate.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Another stupid mistake by the fia. With no tire blankets the cars will have to do more laps to warm them up.
Thinner front tires will make less grip. I don't understand why the fia are doing this.

All they had to to do was to get rid of aerodynamics and have mechanical grip\ground effect.

*blink*

Oooooooookay...

:)

Soldato
Finally removing tyre warmers. It should make pit stops more entertaining/strategic now too. Cars coming out just in front of someone will have to be pretty defensive to hold their position while they get their tyres up to temp.

Soldato
The lack of tyre warmers in Indy Car led to an utterly brilliant race in Toronto last weekend as they struggled to generate heat. It doesn't have that much of an effect normally, but it was refreshing seeing the drivers well and truly challenged.

And basically because the tender doesn't coincide with the rule changes its only likely to be pirelli as no one else is going to develop the current 13" tyre for 1 year.
Bridgestone did for the new rules in 2009. One year of slicks before Pirelli took over.

Soldato
Sky showed a bit of the Jenson/Lewis interview during the GP weekend, but the full video is way more interesting:

This is a cracking interview. I very much doubt that Jenson could stand in front of TV with a microphone and talk crap for 4 hours straight like the Sky monkeys do, but in a situation like this he's brilliant. At the very least he can relate to the current drivers and cars, and what F1 is today unlike the other old has beens Sky and Channel 4 regularly roll out.

Back
Top Bottom