Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
God, what a load of nonsense that was to read. Guy who has poor eyesight and can't get on with the car gets left behind... was this kid by any chance the Nirvana baby?

Soldato
F1 Fans survey are available for anyone interested in reading.
That is the official link:
https://cdn-1.motorsportnetwork.com/survey/2021/2021-f1-global-fan-survey-motorsportnetwork.pdf

I used to conduct this type of quantitive research for sports companies and organisations in the UK and Europe. Interesting that the sample size for this despite being spread over so many countries is only similar to the same we'd get from doing the RFU fans survey. Not that it matters too much as once you have a certain sample the results are set, additional sample just confirms/solidifies them.

To upset many here, Max is currently the fans' favourite driver. Must be the first time in a while Kimi hasn't won the popularity contest. McLaren is the fans' favourite team.

Pretty much no-one thinks F1 features close competition and many disagreed that features lots of overtaking. The report whilst it shows this in the chart doesn't mention it. Instead it bigs up the statements the fans agreed to such as featuring pioneering technology.

Another one to upset people here is that Monaco is considered critical to the fans.

• Sprint races are viewed as having marginally improved the F1 show but fans do not want them introduced at every race

• Fans continue to dismiss perceived artificial race manipulation – reverse grids, success ballast, technical freeze

It's funny there is large support for more than one tyre supplier, but the report only mentions it to say support for more than one tyre supplier has reduced from 70% to 55% Rather than saying something like "Fans still want tyre competition."

I wonder if F1 will listen.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It doesn't surprise me that the report is glossing over the things that Liberty don't want to draw attention to. In fact, I think we've all done similar at work when we need to present data which isn't favourable :D

Will they listen? Doubtful, but I still hold out more hope under Carey/Domenicalli than under Bernie.

Caporegime
F1 Fans survey are available for anyone interested in reading.
That is the official link:
https://cdn-1.motorsportnetwork.com/survey/2021/2021-f1-global-fan-survey-motorsportnetwork.pdf

I used to conduct this type of quantitive research for sports companies and organisations in the UK and Europe. Interesting that the sample size for this despite being spread over so many countries is only similar to the same we'd get from doing the RFU fans survey. Not that it matters too much as once you have a certain sample the results are set, additional sample just confirms/solidifies them.

To upset many here, Max is currently the fans' favourite driver. Must be the first time in a while Kimi hasn't won the popularity contest. McLaren is the fans' favourite team.

Pretty much no-one thinks F1 features close competition and many disagreed that features lots of overtaking. The report whilst it shows this in the chart doesn't mention it. Instead it bigs up the statements the fans agreed to such as featuring pioneering technology.

Another one to upset people here is that Monaco is considered critical to the fans.

It's funny there is large support for more than one tyre supplier, but the report only mentions it to say support for more than one tyre supplier has reduced from 70% to 55% Rather than saying something like "Fans still want tyre competition."

I wonder if F1 will listen.
There are really only four or five tyre suppliers big enough, Michelin, Pirelli, Good Year, Bridgestone and probably Continental. Only two have any real top level motorsport involvement these days, Michelin and Pirelli. Michelin have said in the past they want competition, although this seems to have softened recently. The current deal is basically a contract tender for tyres that behave in a certain way rather than a manufacturer coming to the sport with the best they’ve got.

Soldato
Personally I think a control tyre is the only way to go. Otherwise we'd have races where the cars on the right brand of tyre occupy the top spots on the grid at a given race.

The only way I think it could work is if the cars were given a free choice of approved suppliers at each track, but then there will always be one that is slightly faster than the others, so it just creates waste shipping tyres around that aren't used.

Caporegime
It's now reckoned Zhou will get the drive but perhaps only on a one year deal. Cedric Vasseur has a major hard on for Theo Pourchaire and wants him in for 2023.

Caporegime
Gio's drive not looking too secure at the moment, and performances like this weekend will not help his cause. How Mick isn't in that car is beyond me.

It's now reckoned Zhou will get the drive but perhaps only on a one year deal. Cedric Vasseur has a major hard on for Theo Pourchaire and wants him in for 2023.

Yeah, I don't think Mick wants that seat for a year. He couldn't easily end up stranded seatless in 2023 with nowhere to go. Although if one of the Alpine drivers is going to get that seat, I'd much rather see Piastri in it. Zhou's decent, but Piastri is a standout talent; doesn't have the money behind him though.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Personally I think a control tyre is the only way to go. Otherwise we'd have races where the cars on the right brand of tyre occupy the top spots on the grid at a given race.

You mean, like we had on the regular at various points in Grand Prix racing/F1 history? ;)

I'd much rather see a tyre war than a 'who can build the tricksiest diffuser' one. At least tyre manufacturers would get something out of it. What the hell do Pirelli genuinely get out of F1 right now, being forced to build tyres that wear out?

Caporegime
You mean, like we had on the regular at various points in Grand Prix racing/F1 history? ;)

I'd much rather see a tyre war than a 'who can build the tricksiest diffuser' one. At least tyre manufacturers would get something out of it. What the hell do Pirelli genuinely get out of F1 right now, being forced to build tyres that wear out?
The problem with a tyre war is you end up being robbed if competitive races as one tyre inevitably is better than others, or in the case of Bridgestone they developed tyres specifically to suit the Ferrari and the lower teams had no input into the development.

Pirelli get paid for the tyres by FOM AFAIK, it’s a contract. I’m unsure if Pirelli make a profit but it’s massive marketing and advertising.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The problem with a tyre war is you end up being robbed if competitive races as one tyre inevitably is better than others, or in the case of Bridgestone they developed tyres specifically to suit the Ferrari and the lower teams had no input into the development.

Gosh, how frightful. A form of motorsport being decided by who did the best job developing for the formula. I genuinely cannot conceive of anything more terrible than that.

*sideways glance at camera*

*Spock eyebrow*

Though on the 'tyres developed for one team only' deal - remind me how well that went for Ferrari in '03 and '05?

Pirelli get paid for the tyres by FOM AFAIK, it’s a contract. I’m unsure if Pirelli make a profit but it’s massive marketing and advertising.

Behind a paywall, on Sky Sports. Uh huh :p

Soldato
Though on the 'tyres developed for one team only' deal - remind me how well that went for Ferrari in '03 and '05?
Well they won the title 3 times as the only top team on Bridgestones, so it worked for them more often than it didn't.

It wasn't right that the tyre was developed solely for Ferrari while the likes of Jordan and Minardi got tyres which weren't even made of the same materials though.

In 1998 and 2006 we had amazing title battles on different tyres. You also get races like Hungary 1997 when complete underdogs should have won several races - Panis could have won 3 races before breaking his legs, while Hill famously should have won by miles at the Hungaroring. Or 1990 when Alesi might have won 3 times in a Tyrrell.

I'm undecided. On one hand it would be great to have a proper tyre war with better tyres but on another you would have entire weekends without any real fight due to one of the tyre companies misjudging it - a relatively small factor of the car ultimately having a massive impact. Still, historically it has provided some unexpected and brilliant races.

The main issue between the Michelin and Bridgestone war was with wet tyres, where they erred towards nearly slick intermediates (the one type of wet tyre rule making this even worse). It wouldn't have just been Spa with limited or no running this season if we had such a rule now.

Caporegime
Gosh, how frightful. A form of motorsport being decided by who did the best job developing for the formula. I genuinely cannot conceive of anything more terrible than that.

*sideways glance at camera*

*Spock eyebrow*

Behind a paywall, on Sky Sports. Uh huh :p
Pirelli are a global brand, just as F1 is a global brand and sport.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Never looked up global viewing figures for F1, huh?

I know they're still nothing special in that US market that they keep trying to break the circus into (averaging about a million viewers per race, or a third of what NBA first-round playoff matches get).

On a sadder note - Antonia Terzi, formerly aerodynamicist at Ferrari and later Williams, has died in a road accident.

She worked at Ferrari under Rory Byrne, heading to Williams in 2001 IIRC. She was part of the design team that saw the creation of the 'walrus' nose FW26. She later went on to work for Bentley, and just last year was made Full Professor at the Australian National University in Canberra.

Caporegime
Man of Honour
Looks like Otmae Szafnauer is set to join Alpine as Team Principal; good move for him I think; he seems highly rated and Alpine clearly could do with a change of management structure.
Rumoured that Martin Whitmarsh could replace him in the Team Principal role at AM having just joined although I'm sure there were similar rumours about Frank Vasseur recently as well.

Back
Top Bottom