Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Still it is way to early to judge if Mercs are on top of the porpoiseing.
They had very little at Barcelona pre season testing, then loads at Bahrain in the pre season test.

So Barcelona might just suit their car better.
Will have to wait and see at other tracks, as no one will learn anything at Monaco, as they don't go fast enough for it to occur.
Agreed, one race, where they still are experiencing porposing in the corners, does not represent a fix. Let's see how the car performs on longer straights when the ambient temperature is cooler, thus the air more dense..

Man of Honour
George can drive round the issue or doesn’t allow it to affect his driving whereas Lewis struggles with the car as it is?

Pretty much what happened to Vettle isn’t it?

Once the car fundamentally changed due to regs, he went backwards and his younger, more adaptable team mate overtook him.
No, that isn't what the Ross Brawn quote infers, at all.
How could you reach that conclusion from reading that?

Soldato
Call me a cynic but even though Ross Brawn is no longer a part of the team, it's well within his interest talk very positively about the most decelerated driver in the field who is currently struggling with their car and getting beaten by his team mate. Particularly in the context of the rumours of him leaving F1 given how valuable he is as a brand to the sport.

Given the quotes were "Brawn, though, understands" and "He’s probably sacrificing the races" is all rather vague. There is a party line in F1 and Ross was very much sticking to it. Forgive me for not taking what the PR machine says as gospel when there is serious money on the line for the sport.

Caporegime
So solid that they had to crawl to finish line ;)

To be fair, of the top three teams, Merc are the only one to get all their cars to the end of all the races so far.

They certainly looked better and are now easily the best of the rest but still quite far behind the Ferrri and RB.

I think they're pretty close now. Still 3rd but within biting distance, and with the best driver line-up of the three teams.

Soldato
To be fair, of the top three teams, Merc are the only one to get all their cars to the end of all the races so far.

I think they're pretty close now. Still 3rd but within biting distance, and with the best driver line-up of the three teams.

True though until the last race they couldn't really run their cars at their full performance and in the first race they were able to put more stress on the car they both suffered technical issues.

Soldato
Looks like Kimi is doing a one off race on a NASCAR road course, will be interesting to see how he compares to the regulars. Would expect him to do well with the next gen car equating a bit more closely to a modern race car than the previous cars plus Trackhouse in general have been going well this season

Commissario
Looks like Kimi is doing a one off race on a NASCAR road course, will be interesting to see how he compares to the regulars. Would expect him to do well with the next gen car equating a bit more closely to a modern race car than the previous cars plus Trackhouse in general have been going well this season

This is great, I never thought we'd see Kimi back behind the wheel.

Soldato
The writing's normally on the wall when the team boss starts to publicly criticise the driver. Zak Brown's comments last week about Ricciardo's performance gap to Lando was the first time he'd not defended DR, so to me I think the boot is about to be delivered. And it's hard to argue that it's not justified really.

The question for me is whether they go with De Vries, O'Ward or Herta. Piastri is a possibility, but I'd guess Alpine will be a sticking point there.

Soldato
The writing's normally on the wall when the team boss starts to publicly criticise the driver. Zak Brown's comments last week about Ricciardo's performance gap to Lando was the first time he'd not defended DR, so to me I think the boot is about to be delivered. And it's hard to argue that it's not justified really.

The question for me is whether they go with De Vries, O'Ward or Herta. Piastri is a possibility, but I'd guess Alpine will be a sticking point there.

It’ll be sad to see the Honey Badger leave F1, but he’s definitely not happy with the car and Lando is out-performing him all weekend by a good margin.

Soldato
Ricciardo himself said after Barcelona that discussions were still to take place about 2023, which raised some eyebrows obviously given his supposed valid contract. Then when he clarified it earlier, he claimed he's confused about the years due to COVID. Hmm.

It does sound like there is something up or not yet set in stone.

Soldato
Safety worked very well there. The worst crashes at Indy are when the driver overcorrects and the car snaps nose first into the barrier at maximum speed (see most of the more brutal accidents there and Bourdais fractured his pelvis and hip a few years back in a more recent example). Good thing it went in rear-first in the end.

First time I've seen a camera looking back at the driver during such a crash too.

Back
Top Bottom