Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Newey moving on seemed inevitable. Will be interesting to see if he joins another team and if and when he does, how much impact he can have. Obviously with RBR he was given carte blanche to do as he pleased and shape a young team. Whereas going into e.g. Ferrari/Merc, who have very rigid structures and have proved they have a general unwillingness to change quickly, could affect his ability to work long term. Especially when you consider he's almost 65 and will be closer to 67 when the new regs come in, so after a few years development he'd likely be into his 70s. I don't think anything is concrete. Still, a shake up nonetheless.
Think that was true of Ferrari pre Vasseur but he's been very clear to break up the status quo. I don't think you hire Newey and then give him a leash either at Ferrari or Merc. This is on the assumption he definitely is going to another team.

Soldato
I can't see him going to another team full-time. His age is one thing, plus as others have mentioned they already have car development team structures in place and to bring Newey in would completely uproot all of that.

I could however see him in an 'advisory/consultant' role on a sweet pay deal with one of the manufacturers. I guess it depends on how much drive he still has to continue working in F1.

Last edited:
Associate
Newey moving on seemed inevitable. Will be interesting to see if he joins another team and if and when he does, how much impact he can have. Obviously with RBR he was given carte blanche to do as he pleased and shape a young team. Whereas going into e.g. Ferrari/Merc, who have very rigid structures and have proved they have a general unwillingness to change quickly, could affect his ability to work long term.
This is why I think AM would be a good fit for him.
Think that was true of Ferrari pre Vasseur but he's been very clear to break up the status quo. I don't think you hire Newey and then give him a leash either at Ferrari or Merc. This is on the assumption he definitely is going to another team.
While I think Vasseur would help push things in the right direction, Ferrari still very much are Ferrari i.e. a bunch of stubborn Italians. Their strategy department is a good example of this - I honestly can't understand why they still have the same useless engineers on the pitwall for Charles and Carlos.

Caporegime
I can't see him going to another team full-time. His age is one thing, plus as others have mentioned they already have car development team structures in place and to bring Newey in would completely uproot all of that.

I could however see him in an 'advisory/consultant' role on a sweet pay deal with one of the manufacturers. I guess it depends on how much drive he still has to continue working in F1.
Apparently he hasn’t worked full time on the F1 side for a few years either so he may wish to continue that at Ferrari.

Soldato
Can't see it being any one other than Ferrari, your last job to get a title to a team who haven't won a drivers title in almost 2 decades, plus working with the most successful F1 driver of all time, and no doubt a huge fat paycheque being sent his way. Yes its not until end of Q1 2025, but he can still do significant work to make sure the team hits the ground running in 2026 even if they have gone down a less than ideal path. just look at the radical changes to the RBR this year to show anything is possible despite how good the car may be.

Can't believe it's 30 years since Senna and Ratzenberger's deaths, the work done after that weekend to make the cars as safe as they are now is nothing short of incredible looking back. Shame Bernie and Max won't be remembered for the work they did to get the sport to the levels of safety it's at now.

Soldato
Well at least they’ve livened up f1 a bit, pretty sure he’ll be going to Ferrari, one story around is that he met Fred in London yesterday.
Newey won’t reorganise anything, he’s more a holistic design type of engineer. The Ferrari is pretty good, it just needs a little bit extra.

Soldato
Has anyone actually read Red Bull's statement, I quote: "Oracle Red Bull Racing today announces that Chief Technical Officer Adrian Newey will leave the Red Bull Technology Group in the first quarter of 2025. The engineering supremo will step back from Formula One design duties to focus on final development and delivery of Red Bull’s first hypercar, the hugely anticipated RB17. He will remain involved in and committed to this exciting project until its completion."

So stepping back immediately means some gardening leave..

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't see it being any one other than Ferrari, your last job to get a title to a team who haven't won a drivers title in almost 2 decades, plus working with the most successful F1 driver of all time, and no doubt a huge fat paycheque being sent his way. Yes its not until end of Q1 2025, but he can still do significant work to make sure the team hits the ground running in 2026 even if they have gone down a less than ideal path. just look at the radical changes to the RBR this year to show anything is possible despite how good the car may be.

Can't believe it's 30 years since Senna and Ratzenberger's deaths, the work done after that weekend to make the cars as safe as they are now is nothing short of incredible looking back. Shame Bernie and Max won't be remembered for the work they did to get the sport to the levels of safety it's at now.
I remember that weekend very clearly as if it was yesterday, after Rubens and Roland I just didn't think the weekend could get any worse - then it did..

Last edited:
Soldato
Claire Williams has just been announced as a keynote speaker at Info Security Europe, if anyone else is attending. :)

A leadership powerhouse, Claire will take to the Keynote Stage on Thursday 6th June at 10.00 am for unmissable insights on:
  • How cybersecurity professionals can carry out major transformational projects amid the huge pressure and scrutiny that is rife in the industry.
  • Cyber legislation is on the rise – Claire will talk about meeting your goals in an increasingly complex regulatory environment.
  • Security requires buy-in from every part of an organisation; she will give tips on how to engage a huge workforce and instil key values.
  • Threats are always evolving – how can you pursue success in a rapidly changing sector?
  • Have your own questions? You’ll be able to pose to them to Claire and gain wisdom on facing your own unique challenges in information security.

Seems a bit odd to be asking her about CyberSecurity when Williams hired a powerhouse in Graham Hackland to be their CISO. He's now VP of IT for Sony Playstation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting, i went to Barcelona testing with Williams as a customer of DTex, that was back in 2019, and it was pretty interesting how they were using it back then and how much CyberSecurity stuff they had.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone actually read Red Bull's statement, I quote: "Oracle Red Bull Racing today announces that Chief Technical Officer Adrian Newey will leave the Red Bull Technology Group in the first quarter of 2025. The engineering supremo will step back from Formula One design duties to focus on final development and delivery of Red Bull’s first hypercar, the hugely anticipated RB17. He will remain involved in and committed to this exciting project until its completion."

So stepping back immediately means some gardening leave..
If you call working on the RB17 project gardening, then yes.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I remember that weekend very clearly as if it was yesterday, after Rubens and Roland I just didn't think the weekend could get any worse - then it did..
Whole weekend was just a complete disaster.

Barrichello's practice crash, Ratzenberger's qualifying crash, Lehto and Lamy's race start crash which sent debris into the crowd injuring several, Senna's crash and finally Albereto's wheel coming off in the pit lane and injuring several mechanics.

Just.... oooof.

And it was all broadcast live on Eurosport which is what I was watching.

Soldato
Whole weekend was just a complete disaster.

Barrichello's practice crash, Ratzenberger's qualifying crash, Lehto and Lamy's race start crash which sent debris into the crowd injuring several, Senna's crash and finally Albereto's wheel coming off in the pit lane and injuring several mechanics.

Just.... oooof.

And it was all broadcast live on Eurosport which is what I was watching.
I was watching it on the bbc and they at least maintained some dignity by showing the pit lane camera instead of Senna..

Soldato

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom